Author Topic: TOOLAN family Pendlebury  (Read 5647 times)

Offline Welsh Chris

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
TOOLAN family Pendlebury
« on: Wednesday 15 September 04 16:30 BST (UK) »
My gt gt grandfather Thomas Toolan (spelling varies!) and his wife Jane nee Bell moved from Scotland with children John Thomas possibly margaret James William Agnes Jane and Annie. They were still in Scotland in 1870 but are in Pendlebury by 1881, where the men work in the mines. Other names through marriage are MARSHALL  EVANS RENSHAW JEANS and McGHIE. Annie married in the March qtr 1911 Salford 8d/35 but I can't figure out who she married. Would love to hear from anyone with the same interests
THOMAS - Swansea/Llanelli. FORSE - Devon/Canada/USA. Toolan(various spellings) - Scotland/Lancashire. CUDMORE - Devon. MOGRIDGE - Devon. WALDRON - Devon. WARNER - England/Wales. WILLIAMS - Swansea.

Offline sjsbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: TOOLAN family Pendlebury
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 September 04 21:46 BST (UK) »
Hi,

If you know the place, quarter and page you can send off for the marriage certificate.  Not only will this name her husband but will also give the bride and grooms father's names.  It may also give her age and armed with that information you can look for her birth certificate to find her mother (as the mother's maiden name is on the birth certificate.

Here is the link to the GRO who issue the certificates

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

Hope this helps,

Happy hunting.

Sue
SCOTLAND: Scotland, Morrison, Bonnella, Third,
LINCOLNSHIRE: Bell, King, Emerson, Leesing, Canty, Cutting, Fox,
GLOUCESTERSHIRE: Antill, Onslow, Crook, Jenkins,
LANCASHIRE: Hall, Mayson, Dearden,
WILTSHIRE: Sloper, King, Willis, Stockwell,
ESSEX: Stone, Webb, Smith, Hawkins, Frye,
SOMERSET: Harrison, Jones,

Offline Welsh Chris

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 September 04 18:04 BST (UK) »
Hello Sue Thanks for info. I always thought you can only order post 1837 certificates and I am not sure if this is the case in Scotland, where they were married in 1813. I will appreciate more info on this as I am stuck on several pre 1837 marriages Best wishes Chris
THOMAS - Swansea/Llanelli. FORSE - Devon/Canada/USA. Toolan(various spellings) - Scotland/Lancashire. CUDMORE - Devon. MOGRIDGE - Devon. WALDRON - Devon. WARNER - England/Wales. WILLIAMS - Swansea.

Offline sjsbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 September 04 07:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris,

You are right the GRO only issue certificates post 1837,.  The marriage I quote " Annie married in the March qtr 1911 Salford 8d/35 but I can't figure out who she married" was 1911 so that would be available (or was that a typo and meant to be 1811?).

If you want earlier certificates you need to look for parish records.  These are often available on fiche.  I think you might get access to them at the LDS family history centres.  Perhaps a posting on beginners would clarify that?

For Scotland the records are available earlier.  We have had some good success with

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

It is however a pay per view site and you have to buy blocks of credits which are only valid for 48 Hours.  But not bad if you get yourself organized with a free weekend first!!

Hope this is helpful,

Sue
SCOTLAND: Scotland, Morrison, Bonnella, Third,
LINCOLNSHIRE: Bell, King, Emerson, Leesing, Canty, Cutting, Fox,
GLOUCESTERSHIRE: Antill, Onslow, Crook, Jenkins,
LANCASHIRE: Hall, Mayson, Dearden,
WILTSHIRE: Sloper, King, Willis, Stockwell,
ESSEX: Stone, Webb, Smith, Hawkins, Frye,
SOMERSET: Harrison, Jones,

Offline Bell Toolan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 September 06 02:52 BST (UK) »
Hello, I have just seen your messages, but I see they are dated 2004.  If you are still looking, let me know as I have a little bit of information about Jane Bell Barnes Toolan [nee Jeans] and her family who were from Plymouth which I can dig out [not sure where it is at the moment!].

I have been trying to trace the "Husbands" who came along a little later, although the females retained the name "Bell".  These people also lived in Manchester [Salford] and the males worked on the Manchester ship canal.

Offline Welsh Chris

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 November 06 16:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi, just returned to the site after a long absence. Always interested in the Toolan family!
William Bell Barnes Toolan born 1864 in Scotland married Elizabeth Jeans from Stalbridge Dorset.
I have his family history back to 1700s Applegarth Dumfries and a great deal of info on the Jeans family which I am happy to share.
Jane Betty born in 1886 was their first child and married John Husband in 1913. I have no info on any children they may have had.
William B.B. was my gt grandmother's brother.

Offline Bell Toolan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 28 November 06 21:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chris, thanks for your reply.  Yes I would love to have all the information you've collected.  How do we organise that??  I am particularly interested to know where the Toolans orginated from.  I'm assuming it's Ireland ?? but have not successfully traced back that far!

For your info, Jane Bell Toolan and John Henry Husband [his second marriage] had two daughters: Amy [died at approx 18mths] and Marion.  Jane Bell died quite young and John Henry died within a year of her death [poverty related illnesses].  My mother is Marion's daughter.  Let me know if you would like the dates and death certifications of the above.

Kind regards.

Offline Welsh Chris

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 29 November 06 15:16 GMT (UK) »
How wonderful! Are you by any chance a member of GenesReunited? My family tree is on there and I could contact you via them to give you my address/ e-mail details.
Have you got any photos - thanks to my cousin ( found via GenesReunited) we have gathered a lot of photos, even one of Jane Bell wife of Thomas Toolan.
On the 1841 census daniel Toulan is shown as being born in Ireland but he married a Scottish lass. Most of his family became towlan or Towland and I am in touch with a few, mainly in the Durham area. Thomas and his family became Toolan.
Hope we can swap lots of info!

Offline Bell Toolan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 30 November 06 13:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chris, thanks for your reply.  I will attempt to become a member of GenesReunited at the weekend and hope to make contact with you through that.  I will also dig out my file on the Toolans as I'm pretty sure I have photos of William Bell Barnes Toolan as well!