Author Topic: TOOLAN family Pendlebury  (Read 5644 times)

Offline Welsh Chris

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: TOOLAN family Pendlebury
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 30 November 06 16:12 GMT (UK) »
I have my family tree on Ancestry as well, once I have your e-mail address I'll give you access. Is there any way we can send private messages on this site? Come to think of it, if you go into surname interests and find Toolan you should be able to send me a private message via there. Looking forward to swapping info!
THOMAS - Swansea/Llanelli. FORSE - Devon/Canada/USA. Toolan(various spellings) - Scotland/Lancashire. CUDMORE - Devon. MOGRIDGE - Devon. WALDRON - Devon. WARNER - England/Wales. WILLIAMS - Swansea.

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 02 December 06 04:59 GMT (UK) »
My gt gt grandfather Thomas Toolan (spelling varies!) and his wife Jane nee Bell moved from Scotland with children John Thomas possibly margaret James William Agnes Jane and Annie. They were still in Scotland in 1870 but are in Pendlebury by 1881, where the men work in the mines. Other names through marriage are MARSHALL  EVANS RENSHAW JEANS and McGHIE. Annie married in the March qtr 1911 Salford 8d/35 but I can't figure out who she married. Would love to hear from anyone with the same interests
chris,was john toolan born around 1893.could this be him.
private john toolan
15th lancashire fusiliers
killed in action in the battle of the somme 1-7-1916
born pendlebury
he was living in pendlebury when he was killed,hes still listed as missing and named on the thiepval memorial
the 15th lancs fusiliers were men who lived and worked in the salford and its surrounding areas,affectionally known as the salford pals
another soldier from pendlebury is this lad
private thomas toolan
border regt [depot]
died on 16-10-1916
born and lived in pendlebury
buried in pendlebury[st augustine of canterbury]churchyard,pendlebury,grave number 332
mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 02 December 06 05:14 GMT (UK) »
How wonderful! Are you by any chance a member of GenesReunited? My family tree is on there and I could contact you via them to give you my address/ e-mail details.
Have you got any photos - thanks to my cousin ( found via GenesReunited) we have gathered a lot of photos, even one of Jane Bell wife of Thomas Toolan.
On the 1841 census daniel Toulan is shown as being born in Ireland but he married a Scottish lass. Most of his family became towlan or Towland and I am in touch with a few, mainly in the Durham area. Thomas and his family became Toolan.
Hope we can swap lots of info!
is this lad a rellie.
private daniel toolan
kings own royal lancaster regt,1st battalion
born pendlebury
lived pendlebury
he was about 29/30 years old when the war started in aug 1914
he landed in france on 23rd aug 1914
he was taken prisoner during the war.
entitled to 1914 star,war medal and victory medal
he was already serving in the army when the war started
mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline Welsh Chris

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 02 December 06 16:20 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so very much for all this information. I already knew about Thomas as I visited St Augustine's . He was the cousin of Daniel who died in 1919 in Barton. He had married in 1905. ( Born 1884).. John  born 1893 was the son of Daniel's brother Thomas.
THOMAS - Swansea/Llanelli. FORSE - Devon/Canada/USA. Toolan(various spellings) - Scotland/Lancashire. CUDMORE - Devon. MOGRIDGE - Devon. WALDRON - Devon. WARNER - England/Wales. WILLIAMS - Swansea.

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 03 December 06 03:08 GMT (UK) »
hiya chris,was the daniel who died in 1919 the one who was taken prisoner in the war
mack

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 03 December 06 09:58 GMT (UK) »
chris,dont know if this lad is one of yours but i posted it just in case
private hugh toolan
1st battalion kings liverpool regt
enlisted in april 1916
retained on home service till november 1916 then transferred to the western front.
took part in the fighting at arras and ancre,reported missing presumed killed after the fighting for vimy ridge in april 1917,later confirmed that he was killed in action on 28-4-1917
MEDALS war medal and victory medal
son of andrew toolan,gurteen,ballymote,county sligo
he lived at.
59 dalton st,hulme,manchester
named on the arras memorial
mack

Offline Welsh Chris

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 03 December 06 11:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello again, The Daniel who died in 1919 is the only one who fits the bill, haven't found any Toolans but mine in Pendlebury. He probably died of war-related injuries or illness, perhaps someone from his immediate family will confirm this sometime.
Hugh and Andrew don't fit in with ours at the moment but I will keep them in mind. Could be distant cousins because the 1841 census in Applegarth Dumfries shows  Daniel Toulan born in Ireland - I haven't found any links with Ireland yet, suspect Roscommon.
Many thanks for your continued help and interest.

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 03 December 06 12:19 GMT (UK) »
hiya chris,if daniel is the one who served in the war and his death was war related,then his name should have been added to the commonwealth war graves roll of war dead,if the cause of death can be proved to be because of his war service,then his name can be added to the CWGC roll of honour,daniel wouldnt have been released till late dec 1918-early jan 1919,he may well have died through neglect/mistreatment during his time as a POW,mack