Author Topic: Where have all the JOHN THOMAS's gone between 1881 and 1901?  (Read 1310 times)

Offline bestie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Where have all the JOHN THOMAS's gone between 1881 and 1901?
« on: Wednesday 11 January 06 19:11 GMT (UK) »
And NO it's not a joke! Iam looking for a Trevelyan Thomas born around 1880 in the Llangollen area...with no luck. I know his elder brother JOHN THOMAS was born in 1879 so I went to the 1881 census and looked up all those born in Wales for that date plus 2 years either way. This gave me 582 hits with 111 having the exact date. I then went to the 1901 census, same name, same dates, same place but had only 23 hits with 3 sharing the exact date. Now I know times were 'ard in them days but not THAT hard. Anybody got any ideas as to why I had so few hits on the 1901? I may be missing a trick here! Jim
Phelan, Sheehan, Ramsdale, Brittle, Ashworth, Watkins, Bergin, Daniels.

Offline bestie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Where have all the JOHN THOMAS's gone between 1881 and 1901? SOLVED
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 January 06 11:49 GMT (UK) »
Solved it! Pretty obvious really...the 1881 census has been formatted with all the Welsh counties put under the heading 'Wales'. The 1901 is just a direct transcript so only those that had originally entered Wales as their birth place would show...an entry for Glamorganshire wouldn't. In the end I just entered John Thomas, his age and male and I got hundreds...I then removed all those from outside Wales leaving a mere 200 odd individuals to choose from!
Phelan, Sheehan, Ramsdale, Brittle, Ashworth, Watkins, Bergin, Daniels.