Author Topic: Lookup offer for crimea casualty list and indian mutiny  (Read 165813 times)

Offline SAM100

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup offer for crimea casualty list and indian mutiny
« Reply #225 on: Saturday 10 January 09 21:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kev,

I am trying to locate an ancestor described as a pensioner - 41st regiment in the 1871 census.

His name is John Thompson

Thanks for your kind offer :)

Offline SAM100

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: Sunday 11 January 09 17:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kev,
Apologies....should have read all the posts first and would then have found your link to your wonderful site.

Many thanks for sharing it :) :) :)

Offline Philcandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: Friday 16 January 09 15:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello All:

This is my first post & I hope that I have done it correctly.

I am in urgent need of some help in confirming a casualty of the Crimean War.  The chap's name is:

2584 Pte. Goodburn Mason, 30th Regiment.

I have several of 2/Rifle Brigade muster rolls, and on one he is listed as 'hospital' and then as 'dead'.

I have scoured every source that I know for Crimean casualties, and have come up empty.  As a matter of fact I cannot find him on any British census at all.

I did find a William Henry Goodburn Mason on the 1851 census but cannot connect him to my man in any way at all.

The 2 bars on his medal, ALMA & INKERMANN are also confirmed.

Any help would be most honestly appreciated.

Sincere thanks,
Marty

Marty

It looks as if you have posted on this man in a number of places.

I wonder if you have seen the following which refers to William Henry Goodburn MASON as a printseller in Brighton, Sussex:

At the time of the 1841 census, William Lane was working as a servant in the King's Road premises of William Henry Goodburn Mason (1810-1879), the well known Printseller of Brighton. W. H. Mason was the publisher of the popular coloured print "The Brighton Panorama" (1833) and was later to gain attention for producing the famous coloured print "Cricket Match played between Sussex and Kent, 1849" created by the artists William Drummond and Charles J. Basebe. W. H. Mason was the proprietor of Brighton's Repository of Arts and exhibited engravings, lithographs, aquatints and other works of art at his business premises. During his employment with W. H. Mason, William Lane would have had regular contact with artists - he was living in the same household as William Drummond, the portrait painter, when the 1841 census was taken - and this might explain Lane's later interest in picture framing and portrait photography *. (http://www.photohistory-sussex.co.uk/BTN-LaneWm.htm)

Given the rarity of the name (or at least the names Goodburn AND Mason together), I wonder if you have considered the possibility that the medal holder was related to William H G Mason in Brighton? It might be worth looking to see if he is in the same household at the time of the 1841 Census referred to above.

The National Portrait Gallery website has the following information about William Henry G Mason on its website:

William Mason, Repository of Arts, 1 Ship St, Brighton by 1832-1838, 81 King's Road 1839-1846 or later, 80 King's Road 1850, 108 King's Road by 1851-1871 or later. Carver and gilder, printseller and publisher.

William Henry G. Mason was born in London in about 1811. He was listed in Pigot's Sussex Directory for 1832-4, and as William Henry Mason, printseller, in 1839 and subsequently. In the 1861 census he was recorded as a printseller, age 50, with wife, Mary, age 46, and son, William H., photographic artist, age 21, and other children; he was similarly listed in 1871 census. The business had an account with Roberson, 1832-62 (Woodcock 1997), trading as W.H. Mason from Ship St, 1 Kings Road and 108 Kings Road, Brighton. Mason's printed label is recorded, c.1828-35

It looks as if W H G Mason married in Pancras in the March Quarter of 1838, so if they are related, then this marriage certificate would give WHG's father's name and carry you back a further generation.

I assume you have seen the fact that a medal and two bars (Inkerman and Alma) is for sale from Aberdeen Medals with the following notation:
Crimea Medal & 2 clasps 'Alma' & 'Inkermann' (Goodburn Mason, 30th Regt) The naming on the medal is officially impressed. The recipient joined the 30th Foot in 1847 and subsequently died in the Crimea in early 1855. These details confirmed from copies of the respective muster rolls of the period, copies of which will accompany the medal. Condition: Several edge/rim nicks and light surface scratches hence GF

Yours sincerely

Philip Candy

Offline 51403847

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: Friday 16 January 09 15:57 GMT (UK) »
Hello Philip:

Thank you for the very long reply, and the information contained therein, which I already had gleaned from Ancestry UK over the past 10 days or so.

My gut feeling is that my Goodburn Mason was a relative of WHG Mason, but I have not been able to make a solid connection to prove it beyond a resonable doubt.

The medal, that I own, is the one you describe above, which I purchased from Abredeen, and it is officially impressed, as were all Crimea medals to those who died as the result of wounds or illnesses. Other recipients either had their medals privately engraved or done at the Regiment level, each Regiment having distinct styles.

The web has many sites that list Crimea casualties, either alphabetically of by Regiment, and I cannot find my man listed, even on ship returning to the U.K.  Queries on several British medal related forums has brough me no better results.

I have checked the censues for 1841, 1851 & 1861, also with no success.  As he enlisted in 1847 and died in 1854-55, he would have missed both the '51 &, of course, the '61 censuses.

I have come to realize over the years that there are many 'holes' in the records, either by submission or omission, and have therefore resigned myself to the fact that I may not be able to go any further with Goodburn Mason.

One other thought has occured to me, and that is that he is related to another mason family, and that the Goodburn was possibly his mother's maiden name.

I have a Queen's Sudan medal to a chap named Hazell.  His real name turns out to be Lane, but after being imprisoned for 84 days for false enlistment both the army and he agreed to use the name of Hazell on all futher paperwork and medals.

I sincerely thank you for your time, and appreciate your effort.

Marty

Offline arranquest

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: Wednesday 28 January 09 08:20 GMT (UK) »
Good morning :)

I hope that you can help me!!
Desperately seeking JOHN ARRAN, a private 1st of Foot.

I have documentation leading back to his "wife Jane Arran in Pembrokeshire, where in 1871 she is a widow with 3 children, John 1853'sh, Martha 1854'sh and Annie 1868'sh! The death certificate I have of Jane  states that she is a widow of a John Arran Private  1st of Foot Regiment. 

There are no birth certifictaes for the children , and no marriage certificate for her and John. 

I have been in contact with  Colonel Mason of the Royal Scots, who was very informative regarding movements of 1st of Foot in Wales in 1853/1854 (they were stationed in Pembrokeshire!).

Also with Kew, but they could not trace John in the 1st Battalion musters of 1852-1854. But I know that they are very exact in their name searches! and maybe Arran was spealt differently!

So, I do hope that you may be able to enlighten me, as to if John served in the Crimea and got injured!!!!

Kinsdest Regards, Lynnette.

Offline Penholder

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Archie & Ruby
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: Tuesday 03 February 09 13:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kevwood

Would mind looking to see if you have a William JONES amongst your Crimean dead?   I know it's a bit of a common name and apologies that I have no idea which regiment, if any, he might have been in.   Here is what information I have on him:

He was born in Shropshire in 1911, joined the Royal Marines in 1832 and was then invalided out in 1847.   He didn't rejoin the Marines as I have checked the Description Books at Kew.

In 1851 he was back in Shropshire with his wife and children, working as a labourer.   In 1852 the family was in Hartshill, Warwickshire, and when his daughter was baptised his occupation was soldier.   After that he just disappears.   His wife's next child (1856)  has no father's name on the birth certificate

I can't find a death registration or burial for him in Warwickshire and in 1857 his wife married again.   As the Crimean War co-incides quite nicely with when he did his disappearing act I am just wondering if that is where he went.

Many thanks,

Diana
Hakes - Piddington, Northants; Bucks
Hillyard, Lebatt & Bodsworth - Piddington, Northants
Bonner - Warwickshire & Leicestershire
Caughlin - Clonmore Co. Wicklow/Carlow
Muzzell - Sussex
Jones - Rushbury, Shropshire; Nuneaton & Birmingham, Warwickshire; Piddington & Northampton, Northants
Penhorwood - Devon
Shutt - Devon & Kent
Oliver, Davies & James - Pembrokeshire
Green, Enser, Oldham, Bramman, Billings & Watmough - Nottinghamshire

Offline Kevwood

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • my little man
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: Tuesday 03 February 09 18:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Lynette - Have searched everything i have and can find no trace of a John Arran, or any remotely similar name im afraid.

Diana- Strangely i live about 8 miles from Hartshill, have you tried death register for Hinckley in Leicestershire, Hartshill is pretty much on the county border.

Lots of William Jones:

Jones    W    Private    4729    23rd Foot (Royal Welsh Fusiliers)    Slight Wound    Final Attack on the Redan    08 September 1855   

Jones    W    Private    3948    7th Foot (Royal Fusiliers)    Slight Wound    Final Attack on the Redan    08 September 1855     

Jones    W    Private    3484    90th Foot (Perthshire Volunteers)    Severe Wound    Final Attack on the Redan    08 September 1855     

Jones    William    Private    19th Foot (1st Yorkshire North Riding)    Wounded    Battle at the River Alma    20 September 1854

Jones    William    Private    3860    20th Foot (East Devonshire)    Wounded    Second Battle of Inkermann    05 November 1854   

Jones    William    Private    4748    23rd Foot (Royal Welsh Fusiliers)    Killed in Action    Final Attack on the Redan    08 September 1855   

Jones    William    Private    3224    34th Foot (Cumberland)    Died    Sebastopol    17 February 1855    b. Bath Easton, Bath,  a cooper. Enlisted 25 February 1852 aged 17 & 11m, Father S. Jones of Bath. 

Jones    William    Private    3449    34th Foot (Cumberland)    Severe Wound    1st Attack on the Redan    18 June 1855    See Mutiny Medal Roll 

Jones    William    Private    3921    38th Foot (1st Staffordshire)    Severe Wound    1st Attack on the Redan    18 June 1855

Jones    William    Private    4th Light Dragoons (Queen's Own)    Slight Wound    Action at Balaklava    25 October 1854     

Jones    William    Private    3846    56th Foot (West Essex)    Danger Wound    Minor actions at Sebastopol    04 September 1855     

Jones    William    Private    3500    77th Foot (East Middlesex)    Missing in Action    Final Attack on the Redan    08 September 1855

Jones    William    Private    95th Foot (Derbyshire)    Wounded    Battle at the River Alma    20 September 1854   

Jones    William    Sergeant    3141    Coldstream Guards    Died    Turkey    13 August 1854    b. Hempstead, Norfolk, a labourer, enlisted 09 January 1846

Jones    William    Able Seaman    H.M.S. Queen    Severe Wound    Naval Brigade Ashore    12 April 1855 

Jones    William    Sailmaker's Mate    H.M.S. Wasp    Slight Wound    Naval Brigade Ashore    09 April 1855         

Kev.

PS just to point out that the site that is linked on the previous page is not mine, its just a fantastic site that i know of.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

wood,west,williams,morgan,sollars,hawker,snell,roach,clark,symons. In bristol,fremington,instow,rhymney,colyton

Offline Penholder

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Archie & Ruby
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: Tuesday 03 February 09 18:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kevwood

Many thanks for your prompt reply.   That certainly gives me a fair few names to follow up!   I will look into Hinckley as well.   I hadn't thought about the death being registered there although I do have a couple of missing marriages that I have posted queries about on the Leicester boards.   No luck, so far.

Regards,

Diana
Hakes - Piddington, Northants; Bucks
Hillyard, Lebatt & Bodsworth - Piddington, Northants
Bonner - Warwickshire & Leicestershire
Caughlin - Clonmore Co. Wicklow/Carlow
Muzzell - Sussex
Jones - Rushbury, Shropshire; Nuneaton & Birmingham, Warwickshire; Piddington & Northampton, Northants
Penhorwood - Devon
Shutt - Devon & Kent
Oliver, Davies & James - Pembrokeshire
Green, Enser, Oldham, Bramman, Billings & Watmough - Nottinghamshire

Offline Kevwood

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • my little man
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: Tuesday 03 February 09 18:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, had a look and there are deaths listed at Atherstone for William Jones in 4th qrtr 1854(6d 219) and 3rd qrtr 1856(6d 16), they are real possibilities its only a couple of miles from Hartshill

Kev. ;D
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

wood,west,williams,morgan,sollars,hawker,snell,roach,clark,symons. In bristol,fremington,instow,rhymney,colyton