Author Topic: Lookup offer for crimea casualty list and indian mutiny  (Read 165664 times)

Offline dkilgour

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup offer for crimea casualty list and indian mutiny
« Reply #243 on: Sunday 22 March 09 00:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kev, sorry but I'm very new to this. I'm looking for my 3rd Great Grandfather. From his sons first marriage certificate it states that he was a Private in the 71 Regiment (deceased). Can you please tell me if he appears on the Crimean casualty list. The only information that I have is his name, Thomas Kilgour. I know this is very scant information and I appreciate that it might not be enough.

Many thanks.

Derek

Offline tecumsah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: Saturday 04 April 09 14:05 BST (UK) »
Hello Kev, would you mind checking if my great, great  grandafather – George Fogden of the 90th Regiment of Foot – was wounded in the Crimea? And also his brother Thomas – I have no idea of his regiment but I believe he served in both the Crimea and the Indian Mutiny. Thankyou for any information you can provide.

Offline janem46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: Friday 19 June 09 20:38 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have just found this web site and wonder if you could help me regarding a William Purdey who was a gt x2 granduncle of mine. I know he was born in Barton, Lincolnshire but moved over the Humber to Hull where he was a chain maker by profession. He married Rebecca harrison and the next I have is that he died in June 1857 in Hull, from "wounds sustained at Inkerman" (Meadleys Hull Times Index). I have no further information as to what regiment etc . Can you work any magic I wonder.

Thanks

JaneM46

Offline dustfarmer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: Saturday 20 June 09 13:18 BST (UK) »
I don't know if you can help ... I have a Turkish War  medal 1855,  a Crimea War medal 1854 with clasps for Sebastapol, Inkerman and Alma, and an India Medal (1857-1858)
I also have a photo of my great great grandfather (not in uniform) wearing the medals.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,387491.0.html
The only info I have on him is that in the 1851 Census he was at Hulme Barracks as a private soldier and was aged about 20. He was listed as "Charles MATTHEWS"
In an earlier census he was called "Nathan MATTHEWS" and when he migrated to Australia in 1871, he was named "Nathaniel Charles MATTHEWS" and was married to Mary Ann POTTER.
I don't know if he was wounded (he obviously wasn't killed), and I am trying to find out anything I can about his military service.

Thankyou

dustfarmer
Knott Beckett Braithwaite - Castlebar, Turlough, Mayo
BRAITHWAITE - Rock Ferry, Cheshire & Australia
MITCHELL - London & Australia
MURRAY - Anthony & Harriet (nee RYAN)- Tipperary & Australia
MATTHEWS - Nathaniel Charles & Mary Ann - London & Australia

Offline henery

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: Tuesday 23 June 09 17:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Kev
I would like a look up for Wilfred Holden Born 1884.
Married a Florence Cartwright in January 1915.
Believed to have been killed at Gallipoli September 1915.
Maybe was L/Corporal in Household Cavalry of the Line.
Regards
Henery
Green,Price,Burt,Jenkins,Dines,Hobbs,Rhodes,Herring,Couch,Walter,Hopkins,Coten,Deacon,Spencer

Offline cherylogrady

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: Friday 17 July 09 02:17 BST (UK) »
Hi there Kev,
Think this is brilliant!!  I've stumbled across this forum while searching for my great grandmother's brother who I now find died in the Crimea.  If you have anything on him I would be most grateful.  His name is Gideon Petilla, from York.  He was a private in the 2nd Rifle Brigade (60th regiment).   I've been told by the National Army Museum that he most likely died from disease. He was about 21. I hope he is there.  Fingers crossed!

Offline Midwood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: Thursday 23 July 09 23:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Kev,
I have a Turkish Crimea medal inscribed with "2191  THOMAS BATTLE  RIFLE BRIGADE".
I know he was a Private in the 2nd Battalion & was severely wounded on 12th April 1855 at Sebastopol, Gazetted 24th April 1855.
Any other info you may be able to turn up for him would be very much appreciated.
Cheers,
Bill

Offline KEHU01

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: Tuesday 18 August 09 14:15 BST (UK) »
Hello Kev,

Thank you for your kind offer.

I am looking for information on Morville William Wraxall who served as an enlisted man in the 23rd Royal Regiment of Foot during the Indian Mutiny. Bibliographic records of him from 40 years later suggest that he was seriously wounded at Lucknow is this true and when did he join and leave the regiment?

There is little doubt he was there around that time, he married out there in 1860 and his first son was born in Lucknow in 1862 and his first daugther in Agar in 1865.

Some years after returning to England he became the District Organising Agent of the Western Temperance League and went around the country giving lectures which included "Personal reminiscences of the Indian Mutiny" in which he recounted stories, and sang songs.

In 1891 he was in Australia and earned a living by giving this lecture as a popular entertainment show which also included pictures "Oxy-Hydrogen Lime-light scenes". 

In 1882 he became Sir Morville William Wraxall 5th Bt.  as his two elder brothers and titled uncle died childless.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: Tuesday 18 August 09 15:46 BST (UK) »
Regarding John Collier of Cambridge, I wonder whether his wound became infected and he died of blood poisoning?
Regarding the Indian Mutiny I believe 2 brothers named Luffman were involved, did they both survive, I am told there is a doubt that one of them ever existed.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)