Author Topic: HACKFORD Family Overdine and Wellington?  (Read 11929 times)

Offline sherylnorthcott

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Hackford Family Overdine and Wellington?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 24 January 06 18:37 GMT (UK) »
The Hackfords do seem to be uncommon in Herefordshire, I've only traced as far back as Elizabeth at the moment, as I've had to trace the Clarke's (who my Gt Grandmother married into) and the Brookes's (who Annie's daughter married into, my grandparents). 

I appear to be pure Herefordshire in my ancestory.

I have found one rather notorious Hereford Hackford...but I draw a blank on his history....google 'Hereford Dick'...he was a bare knuckle fighter, and escaped from Hereford prison.  I have a feeling,  that once I research some more into the Hackford's, he will be a member of 'our family'. :o

I'll carry on with my researching, and will pop back to let you know how things are going.

I think the illegitimate birth/s might be related to 'my Elizabeth'.....my Grandma NEVER divulged her birth name to any of us, her and her brothers took on their step fathers name, it was only when she died we discovered she had a different birth name. 

I'm going to send for my Grandma's birth certificate to try and find out more.  As soon as I know anything I'll let you  know. :)
Hackford ... Herefordshire
Gammond... Herefordshire
Clarke...Herefordshire
Brookes...Gloucestershire
Powell....Herefordshire

Offline sherylnorthcott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 24 January 06 18:55 GMT (UK) »
Hackford, Mary A  abt 1885     Sollers Hope, Herefordshire,     Granddaughter     Woolhope.

Have just found the above...Elizabeth lived in Sollers Hope for a number of years too, but never had a daughter called Mary, maybe Mary was her sister or neice? :o

The plot thickens.... LOL
Gammond... Herefordshire
Clarke...Herefordshire
Powell....Herefordshire

Offline sherylnorthcott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 24 January 06 20:43 GMT (UK) »
Have done some more researching.

the 1871 census shows George Hackford Head of family,
                                      Harriet his wife
                                      George son born in 1861
                                      Ruth daughter
                                      Ephraim son.

George jnr married in 1883 (same year as my Gt Gt Grandmother Elizabeth....who became a Hackford in the same month)

They split up in around 1990, after the birth of younger son (Thomas Henry) Elizabeth went on to re marry in 1895, the same year that George re married.

I will send for the marriage certificate, but I'm 90% convinced that you and I are 5th cousins (or 6th).

Ada, the youngest Hackford doesn't appear until the 1891 census, after Ruth, George and Ephraim have all left home.

Let's just hope Richard Hackford (Hereford Dick) isn't part of the same family. ;)   ;D
Gammond... Herefordshire
Clarke...Herefordshire
Powell....Herefordshire

Offline Potatoes

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 25 January 06 11:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sheryl,

This is amazingly interesting for me. Ruth Hackford has always been a mystery to me until fairly recently. But with various census I found her quite easily( 1871-1901). I can't wait for 1911 to become available?

I was really interested to hear that George jnr and Elizabeth split up and that she remarried. Could this have happened legally in the 1890's? My findings regarding my grandfather's birth certificate and his mother's later date for marriage to the man who was "supposed" to be grandad's father, may show that people were prepared to run the risk of making illegal declarations, rather than run the risk of not being "respectable".

I hope we are related to Hereford Dick, he sounds like quite a character.

The other thing I've wondered is if George Hackford senior and Harriet were religious because of their preference for bible names for their children.

These websites may be of interest -

www.south-wales.police.uk/fe/master.asp?nl=8&n2=2532n3=379   This page refers to Hereford Dick and includes a photo. I've literally just googled this in the past 5 minutes!

This second website refers to George snr and Harriet. I've had this one for a while -

www.archenfield.com/Trackways%202.htm

The photo is of George's landlord.

Best Wishes

Karen

Begley, Crowe, Whelan - Carlow, Ireland
Hackford - Herefordshire, England
Riches, Chilver(s) Suffolk, England
Passey - Worcestershire, England
Walker - Birmingham/Worcestershire

Offline sherylnorthcott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 25 January 06 11:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Karen.

Thanks for the links, It really is so interesting to find out all this extra information.  I feel really 'in touch' with our ancestors now, especially as the Hackford side was kept so secretive for so many years.

I was chatting to my mom, and she has been going through my grandma's (Annie) 'diary' (a book of family births etc.,) and remembering snippets of info passed to us through the generations, I'm very lucky in that I spent most of my childhood with my Grandma (and Uncle Will lived with us) in Ross on Wye.

And from what we can glean, although we didn't know the Hackford surname before.  Thomas Henry (the 4 month old baby in the 1891 census) was actually the son of William Gammond, although my Grandma and Uncle Will were George's children.  So it looks as if George and Elizabeth were divorced (perhaps on her infidelity, or maybe he had already left her and then she got with William Gammond).

There seems to be a 6 year gap from Thomas Henry's conception/birth to when both Elizabeth and George remarried the others, perhaps they had to wait that long for a divorce?

As William Gammond, and the Gammond family, owned a few farms, and had servants, perhaps this is where the illigitimate child of master/servant rumour came from.  I know the story has come down our branch of the family, and it looks as if it has come down your side too.  I think we must have rather 'racy' ancestors. ;D

I'll continue questioning my mom, and looking at all the sites I've joined, I've managed to view many birth/wedding/death records.  And last night I found Annie's husbands military record and his two brothers too (all three were killed in WW1).

I'll see what else I can find out about Ruth for you, and let you know.

I seem to be running into a dead end with Richard Hackford (Hereford Dick) perhaps he isn't on the census's as he was in prison quite a lot.

Take care and hope to find out more for you,
Sheryl  :)

Gammond... Herefordshire
Clarke...Herefordshire
Powell....Herefordshire

Offline sherylnorthcott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 25 January 06 12:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Karen,

Think I might have found Richard Hackford, the age would be correct if we go by the information on the police museum site.  In 1871 he was living with his wife Ellen, his dob is said to be about 1813.  Then in 1881 he is living at the Gardeners arms Llanwenarth, Monmouthshire.

His place of birth is Lugwardine, Herefordshire....the same place as George Snr.  Perhaps they were brothers?

Best regards
Sheryl :)
Gammond... Herefordshire
Clarke...Herefordshire
Powell....Herefordshire

Offline Puffcat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 25 January 06 12:23 GMT (UK) »
Have you asked the Hereford Family History Society on this.
They may have transcriptions of the Lugwardine Parish registers for birth records, and may have some details on people of notoriety in Hereford.  :)

Sounds all very exciting and most interesting.

Offline sherylnorthcott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 25 January 06 12:30 GMT (UK) »
Thanks EBN, I will try there,  it certainly is exciting to find out all this information.

Little wonder my Grandma kept me in the dark.... ;D

Prison, divorce, illigitimate births....not quite what I expected to find. ;)

The past feels so much more 'real' to me now,  and how wierd I happened upon this chat forum and found Karen, who's Gt Grandma appears to be my Gt Gt Gt Aunt.
Gammond... Herefordshire
Clarke...Herefordshire
Powell....Herefordshire

Offline Puffcat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 25 January 06 12:52 GMT (UK) »
Hereford Family History Sciety sec :

Mr. B. Prosser,
 6 Birch Meadow,
Gosmore Road,
Clehonger, Hereford HR2 9RH