Author Topic: 'Jewellers Bible'  (Read 3069 times)

Offline Ewan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
'Jewellers Bible'
« on: Thursday 12 January 06 13:20 GMT (UK) »
Frances (Census Lookup and Reseource Offers) has offered lookups in the following book- Watch and Clockmakers of the World.   I am wondering if there is such a book for 'Jewellers' preferably from the UK.  Does anyone know of such a book or where I can find out please?

Thank you
Ewan

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: 'Jewellers Bible'
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 June 07 10:55 BST (UK) »
Hiya Ewan,

There must be a book listing Jewellers. I've a similar problem as there are several queries on the Irish boards about Clockmakers, Goldsmiths and Jewellers and I'd like to be able to post replies containing more information about these traders. There are a few trade associations ... I've just come across sites for The National Association of Goldsmiths and the Guild of Valuers & Jewellers. The problem with them is they appear to have started in the late twentieth century. I know there are several publishers of magazines for the Jewellery trade. As far as I'm aware they usually contain articles about current trade issues and rearely contain articles about jewellers who traded years ago.

Have you had a look at any online Library catalogues to see if there's a book about Jewellers?

Christopher

Offline Ewan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 'Jewellers Bible'
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 June 07 10:09 BST (UK) »
Hello Christopher

Thank you very much for your reply, I haven't tried any online library catalogues yet, so that will be something to be done later.  At the moment I am giving that side of the family a rest as I need to look at parish records in Birmingham and I am not able to do that at the moment.

Thanks again
Ewan