Author Topic: missing Herbert in llanfihangel abergwesyn  (Read 3869 times)

Offline karenbest500

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
missing Herbert in llanfihangel abergwesyn
« on: Thursday 12 January 06 17:27 GMT (UK) »
I have traced my great-great grandmother Gwen Herbert form her birth in 1861 through to my great grandfather John Herbert(illegitimate) birth in 1882 on the census but then she totally disappears (not on the 1891 nor 1901)have tried BMD's,parish records, Ellis island records and visited the local graveyards but with no luck.Any ideas from anyone please?
                                      Karen
Evans-Manchester & Derbyshire
Crellin-Manchester
Herbert- Lledrod, Abergwesyn, Treharris & Ebbw Vale
Hayfield- Derbyshire & Manchester
Williams-(Llanafanfawr) Breconshire
Critchley-(Altrincham) Cheshire
Bather-Lancashire
Ireland- Preston & Manchester
Hankey-Lancashire

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: missing Herbert in llanfihangel abergwesyn
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 January 06 17:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Karen

What do you know of John' s whereabouts?  Is it likely she kept him with her?  Or was he fostered or adopted by another family?  Do you know who his father was and could they have married?

You seem to have covered most angles!  :)

Have you looked at bastardy records, workhouse records (she might be recorded only by her intials) - I even found one of mine in a convent recently!

Don't forget she might have emigrated to countries other than the USA: try posting on the other boards for shipping look-ups.

Have you found her parents and siblings on the censuses on which she is missing?  They might be staying with her or vice versa.

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline karenbest500

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 January 06 19:08 GMT (UK) »
aaronroots
                 thanks for the reply,John was with his grandparents on the 1891 census at a farm called Penhenwernfach in Llanwrtyd wells and i can follow his life,but the mystery is that the farm Gwen grew up on Cefngilfach was missed out of the 1891 census but was occupied by a Jones family in 1901.I don't know who Johns father was but he stayed with his grandparents until he began work. I will try the other options you suggested.Thank you.
                                                                                                       Karen
Crellin-Manchester
Bather-Lancashire
Hankey-Lancashire

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 January 06 20:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Karen

Have you seen this marriage?

Dec quarter 1888 Brecknock (Brecon)

Gwen HERBERT

David MORGAN or George A LANDER

Vol 11b  Page 210

There is a corresponding 1891 census entry

RG12/4443/67/11

MORGAN David boarder M 23 - gen lab - Brecon town - Both
MORGAN Gwen boarder M 26 - Brecon Llanwrtyd - Both
MORGAN T E boarder's son 2 months - Glam Aberdare
MORGAN David D boarder's son 2 months - Glam Aberdare

Address: 7 David St, Aberdare, Glamorgan

Boarding with the widower James GRIFFITHS, an ostler from Llanelly, Breconshire and his children

Gwen's age is a bit on the young side, but sometimes women changed it slightly to match a younger husband.  Her place of birth is, I think, not far from Abergwesyn.

What do you think?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline karenbest500

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 13 January 06 12:43 GMT (UK) »
Thank You Aaronroots
                                  But this one isn't mine, this one is Gwenllian Herbert,her father was Thomas Herbert from Cilycwm,living in Llanwrtyd. Mine was just plain Gwen with father David Herbert from Abergwesyn. I'll keep trying.
                                                     Regards
                                                              Karen
Crellin-Manchester
Bather-Lancashire
Hankey-Lancashire