Author Topic: Birchington-on-Sea (Westcliffe Hotel)  (Read 3860 times)

Offline Chilis

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Birchington-on-Sea (Westcliffe Hotel)
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 08 November 06 14:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Susannah
Thank you for following through on my Birchington postings.

I have managed to get hold of extracts from "The Bungalows of Birchington" as well as some pages from "Birchington on Sea" by Athol Mayhew and also from "The Bungalow" by Anthony D King and published 1984.

It appears that John Taylor and architect and builder, J P Seddon, were in partnership at one time, but Taylor dropped out of the partnership and Seddon went on to build the Tower Bungalows in Spencer Road and also The Bungalow Hotel. 

My gt. grandfather was William E Martin, an architect and builder who worked with/for J P Seddon.  There is an advertising page in "Birchington on Sea" listing W E Martin as 'Contractor for Building & Engineering Works' who appeared to be building the seaside Bungalows 'from the designs and under the superintendence of J P Seddon.'  He later became the Manager of the "The Bungalow Hotel" (aka The Westcliffe Hotel).

W E Martin wrote a series of 27 articles in 1905-6 for "Building News" about the Tower Bungalows.   

Because of my gt. grandfather's involvement with the Tower Bungalows and The Westcliffe Hotel, I was hopeful of locating some actual pictures.  I have the articles and illustrations of ground plans, etc. from Mr King's publication, however.

I am interested to know that one still remains standing and is now Grade II listed.  Do you think someone would be able to take a picture of it for me?

Interestingly, I have a daughter now working in much the same capacity as W E Martin, as well as a son who is a Building Consultant.  At the time they chose their future career paths, neither was aware that the our family's history was littered with Architects, Builders, Surveyors and Civil Engineers.

Again, thank you for adding to my posting.
Chilis   

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 08 November 06 15:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chilis

There is a modern day picture of "Tower Bungalows" on the "Images of England" site.

You will probably need to log in http://www.imagesofengland.org.uk/default.aspx and use the advanced search for (building name) Tower Bungalows

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Chilis

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 08 November 06 17:38 GMT (UK) »
Well thank you, Casalguidi

Not a very inspiring Bungalow, is it?  Useful description though and I'm pleased to be able to include it in the Family History folder.

Would still hope for a picture of "The Westcliffe Hotel" at some stage.

AND, thanks for pointing me to Images of England.  I've registered to use the site and immediately found my last house had been photographed whilst I lived there, without my being aware of it!

Thanks again,
Chilis

Offline Taylorian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 15 October 12 22:36 BST (UK) »
I'm researching the bungalows of Westgate and Birchington. I understand that Taylor and Seddon used W E Martin as their builder and I'm keen to learn more. I appreciate that Chilis' request for images etc was some time ago now, but there's a few images at http://www.birchingtonheritage.org.uk/beachavenue/bu1914.htm. The Westcliffe Hotel and the Bungalow Hotel were one and the same.

I'm a novice, so forgive any lack of protocol please.

Offline Chilis

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 16 October 12 14:19 BST (UK) »
Ah, Taylorian, am I to assume you are a descendant of John Taylor?

I was amazed that your post above was of 'yesterday', as I have not had Internet access for some time - whilst my daughter was building me a house -  and having had a new computer installed last evening, what should pop up but your posting!

It is actually all of 6 years since I was delving into my gt. grandfather's association with J. P Seddon and John Taylor, so would like maybe to return to the theme over this winter.

I have no information of any significance to add to previous postings, but would like to be in contact with you on this one, so will shortly send a Personal Message.  In the meantime, thank you for your post and the connection to some later pictures of the Hotel.  I have to say that I'm somewhat under-whelmed with its appearance in view of many other attractive buildings that have gone before, but presumably it was built as an opportunist money-spinner at the time.

Chilis

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 16 October 12 14:26 BST (UK) »
Chilis, Taylorian will need to make three postings on the boards here before their Rootschat personal message system is fully activated.  Taylorian, replying twice more to this topic will sufficec.

Lovely photographs of Birchington by the way :)

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Chilis

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 16 October 12 19:19 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Casalguidi, I had overlooked that rule...

So, Taylorian, can you post maybe a simple confirmation that you are interested particularly in John Taylor, and another quick relevant post, after which I presume you activate your access to the Personal Messages feature of this group..

I can then send you my e-mail address, as privacy prevents the display of same on here, quite rightly of course.
Chilis

Offline Taylorian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 16 October 12 21:57 BST (UK) »
I'm not a descendant, but a fan - I think he deserves much more credit as an architect, and I wondered if research into W E Martin might be able to shed more light on his work. I look forward to sharing more of what I have learned.

Offline Taylorian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 17 October 12 21:57 BST (UK) »
W E Martin was manager of the Bungalow Hotel for a while; unprepossessing it may have been, but it was the place to stay when people went to see the nearby Taylor wooden bungalow in which Rossetti had died in 1882.