Author Topic: Malsters  (Read 3223 times)

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
Re: Malsters
« Reply #9 on: Monday 13 December 04 00:12 GMT (UK) »
The old firewater myth. This is a disprover:

C Garcia-Andrade, TL Wall and CL Ehlers
Department of Neuropharmacology, Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA.

OBJECTIVE: This study aimed to assess empirically the intensity of reaction to alcohol in a group of Native Americans. METHOD: Forty healthy, nonalcoholic Mission Indian men between the ages of 18 and 25 years were tested before and after ingestion of placebo and 0.75 ml/kg of alcohol. Subjective (self-report of feelings) and objective (blood pressure, pulse rate, and plasma cortisol level) measures of intoxication were taken before ingestion of alcohol and placebo and at 15, 30, 60, 90, and 120 minutes after ingestion. Overall effects of alcohol were evaluated, and the responses of subjects with less than 50% Native American heritage (N = 19) were compared with the responses of subjects with at least 50% Native American heritage (N = 21). RESULTS: Alcohol did not produce any significant effects on any of the objective measures of intoxication; however, the subjects reported significant subjective effects of alcohol. Subjects with at least 50% Native American heritage reported less intense effects of alcohol than did those with less than 50% Native American heritage, despite equivalent blood alcohol concentrations. CONCLUSIONS: These results contradict the "firewater myth"--the theory that Native Americans are more sensitive to the effects of alcohol. Rather, the data indicate that Mission Indian men generally may be less sensitive to alcohol's effects, a physiological characteristic that has been shown to be associated with a greater risk for alcoholism in Caucasian populations. In addition, individuals with a greater percentage of Native American heritage may be less sensitive to the subjective effects of alcohol than individuals with a smaller percentage of Native American heritage.

I am not quite sure what other part of the world the evil white man brought alcohol to for the first time. In ancient Egypt a beer was made from sorghum and that same liquor is distilled throughout Africa right down to the southernmost tip.
Date wine was made in Arabia and a variety of fermented fruit liquors throughout Indonesia [rice spirits came later].
Marula berries drop on the ground in parts of South Africa and ferment. Many animals including baboons seek these out - the effects on elephants are staggering and that is not just a play on words.

Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kazza

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking into Holes
    • View Profile
Re: Malsters
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 18 January 05 17:50 GMT (UK) »
Hack,

Only just found your reply.  Very interesting study,  it was only the American Indians that I have heard this myth applied to.  So you blew that out of the water.  :P 

And I was taught it in school,  they say you can learn a new thing everyday,  and in this case I have to un-learn one.  ::)

K
Welsh Lass
Surname interests:
Clementsten, Hobson, Hole, Marden, O'Clements, Pitten, Sharland, Vickery (Vicary), Williams.

Area Interests:
Cardiff, Bampton, Bideford, Crediton, Wollaston, Somerset, Tidenham, Norway, Australia to Bristol.