Author Topic: 1871 Census - McIntosh in London  (Read 1075 times)

Offline T M

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
1871 Census - McIntosh in London
« on: Saturday 14 January 06 03:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello all,

I've searched, and searched with no luck.... :-\

I need some help finding Alexander McIntosh (b. 1833 - 1836) in Scotland and his wife Elizabeth born 1848 in Shoreditch in the 1871 Census.

Alexander was married to another "Elizabeth" in 1861 and was living at 48 Great Chart Street in St. Leonard, Shoreditch at the time.  His first wife Elizabeth passed away before 1868.  Alexander is a Pastry Cook and Confectioner/Baker.

He married again in 1868 to Elizabeth Colston b. 1848 Shoreditch (her father is also a Confectioner).  The marriage states both of their addresses as 34 Provost Street (this is where Elizabeth's parents were living) and Alexander is a widow.  Elizabeth's parent's are still living at Provost Street in 1871, but Alex and Elizabeth are not with them.

Alexander and Elizabeth had a son John Grant McIntosh in 1873 born in the Whitechapel District.  Alexander McIntosh died in January of 1874, and the family was living at 29 Fort? Street, Old Artillery Ground, Whitechapel at this time. (reg. dist Whitechapel, sub-district of Artillery)

Any help would be greatly, greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks,

Tina
Terry - Canterbury, Kent
Beales - Banham, Norfolk
Brant - Raithby & Ltl Carlton, Lincoln & Canada
Adlam - Wiltshire & London Middlesex
All look-ups are Crown Copyright

Offline Bryant

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Grandfather Bryant 1897
    • View Profile
Re: 1871 Census - McIntosh in London
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 January 06 21:33 GMT (UK) »
Tina

Elizabeth's parents in 1871.....what are their christian names and is the surname spelt COLSTON...............I can't see Provost Street, Middx as an option!

I have found several Alexander Mcintosh's including one by the name of Alex Zacharie Mackintosh who is living with his parents..cant read his occupation but it looks like corner?????? clerk &  ??? merchant..........I suppose it could be a confectioners clerk? doesn't look it to me.......... and he is stated as being unmarried as opposed to being married, so it doesn't look likely?................and he wasn't born Scotland

11 GT ORMOND STREET, ST GEORGE THE MARTYR, MIDDX
ALEXANDER MACKINTOSH  HEAD  82 member of Lloyds + ?  Inverness, Scotland
MARY                 "               WIFE   73                                   ST GEO THE M, MIDDX
ALEX ZACHARIE "              SON  40                                                  "
M                       "             DAUR  33                                                 "
FANNY ELIZABETH  ????? SERV  20                               ST ANDREWS, HOLBORN
MARY ANN         ??????        "      16                           ST GEO THE MARTYR, MIDDX
Researching names BRYANT (Camberwell), PASTERFIELD (Essex and all), RAY (Holborn/Islington areas back to Brentford), POWELL (Glouc & beyond?)
Fletcher (Glouc into Warwickshie into Lancs?), BUCKLEY (Chatham area), Watson (Chatham area).

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline T M

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 January 06 22:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bryant,

That is definitely not him, but thanks for looking.

Her family name is COLSTON, and most of them were christ. at St. Giles Cripplegate in London.  Her parents:  John and Elizabeth COLSTON were living at 34 Provost St (near East Road and Cross street) in 1861 and 1871.  Although in 1871 they have the name misspelled as COLSON.

Thanks for trying, I appreciate all the help I can get on this one :)

Terry - Canterbury, Kent
Beales - Banham, Norfolk

Offline Bryant

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 January 06 10:05 GMT (UK) »
Tina

Not easy is it!

Is that his sister living at 38 Provost Street.......a couple of doors away from the Colston's

Ann McIntosh   lodger  29 (unm) needlewoman    Scotland
--------------

Bryant
Researching names BRYANT (Camberwell), PASTERFIELD (Essex and all), RAY (Holborn/Islington areas back to Brentford), POWELL (Glouc & beyond?)
Fletcher (Glouc into Warwickshie into Lancs?), BUCKLEY (Chatham area), Watson (Chatham area).

Offline Bryant

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 January 06 11:25 GMT (UK) »
Tina

I have looked at MacIntosh (it gives me all variants) and I have looked at Alex A* to Z* (it gives me all variants on Alex) and I have come to the conclusion that your Alex is not a confectioner/baker and is married to someone other than Elizabeth Colston or he is living with brothers and is listed as unmarried or avoided the 1871 census........which I disregard, no-one avoided the census  >:(

Their is a long shot however...............how old is Elizabeth? born 1848........the census sheets are filled in by the householders and then transposed by the enumerator onto a ledger, that for me is where the mistake has occurred..........now for me I automatically look at W when an M can't be found (they can look the same!) and then I look for anything in this case that can be intosh.........now my census provider transcriber thinks it's tash.......I think it looks more like tosh. Originally I wouldn't mind betting Alex Mcintosh was on thet census sheet collected from the household of 170 Portobello Road?
Who has ever heard of a name Whitash........... ???

170 Portobello Road, Kensington
Alex Whitash   head  36  journeyman baker   Scotland
Elizabeth  "      wife   23                                  Stockton, Middx
-----------------------

Regards
Bryant  :)

Offline T M

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 16 January 06 13:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bryant,

You don't know how many variables I checked.  I went through 2000+ names with no luck.  I don't see the Artillery grounds listed on the census that I've been looking at though, as this is where they were last.

Registration Sub-District 1A - Artillery Civil Parish, Christchurch Spitalfields, Norton Folgate
Registration Sub-District 1B - Artillery Civil Parish, Norton Folgate, Old Artillery Ground

I looked up the original of the one you found, and they have him as Alex. Whitosh (Journeyman Baker), about age 35 and Elizabeth about age 23, which seems to fit perfectly, but the only problem is if you go to the next page of the census, you'll see that they have three children:

Rachel age 8 (b. 1863, Marylebone, Middlesex)
Elizabeth age 5 (b. 1866 Marylebone, Middlesex)
Lydia age 7 months (b. 1870 Kensington, Middlesex)  Lydia Alice McIntosh dec qtr 1870 Kensington

Considering they were only married in 1868, and I only have the one child for them (John Grant McIntosh), I have to do some more digging to confirm he had children with his previous wife (he had no children in 1861). Also to confirm Lydia the youngest at 7 months passed away before 1881, as she is not with her mother.  The other two children, Rachel and Elizabeth could have been working in 1871 at ages 15 and 18, I'll have to look for them.

Elizabeth McIntosh is widowed in 1881 and living with her parents at 4 Priter Road in Bermondsey, with only 1 child (John Grant McIntosh).

In 1901 she is living with her brother Joshua COLSTON and son John Grant McIntosh.  I cannot find her or her family the COLSTONS in 1891 though.

Thank you for your most generous help!! :D

Tina
Terry - Canterbury, Kent
Beales - Banham, Norfolk

Offline Bryant

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 17 January 06 08:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello Tina

I know the area you speak of with great affection..............not from genealogy .............I worked all round that area in 1972

Go past Liverpool Street Station travelling north up Bishopsgate........... Artillery Lane.........then Spitafields fruit & veg market and then Folgate Street will all appear on your right hand side within a few hundred yards and all are wedged between Bishopsgate and Commercial Street (Norton Folgate is there somewhere, I know it well if only the memory banks would remind me where it is!)..... STEPNEY is the registration district and their is a Elizabeth Jane Macintosh born there in 1864............could she be the one recorded as being born 1866 ish..........as the mother of the child is no longer around.........would the journeyman baker know how old his daughter was? ............... it might be worth wasting £7-00 .......... or would you be wasting it?

and as for the birth cert of Lydia.........got to be No1 on the list........it's absolutely perfect and a must for the collection giving you mothers maiden name and hopefully address at birth...........
And if that is Elizabeth Colston go for the other cert which will hopefully lead you to the other Elizabeth's maiden name and the 1st marriage which I gather you have struggled to find.

*I didn't realise their was children attached as their was a clear line under the wife's name

Have fun
Bryant

Offline T M

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 17 January 06 12:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bryant,

That's the first thing I did yesterday with the information.....ordered the certificate of the birth of Lydia, and I also believe I found Alexander's first marriage which I ordered as well.

Again....thank you for the help!!

Tina :)
Terry - Canterbury, Kent
Beales - Banham, Norfolk

Offline Bryant

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 17 January 06 19:40 GMT (UK) »
Tina

I'm sure you have the right family and when you receive those certs would you be so kind as to reveal the results by tagging the info onto this post or by way of a PM............... I love it when a difficult search leads to a result.............  :D

Regards
Bryant  ;)