Author Topic: Halliwell location, Northumberland and Cook family  (Read 8975 times)

Offline Lumber-Jack

• RootsChat Senior
  • Old Josiah
    • View Profile
Halliwell location, Northumberland and Cook family
« on: Saturday 14 January 06 06:33 GMT (UK) »
Halliwell location, Northumberland and  Cook family,

Can anybody please help me with the location of Halliwell ( nearest town, parish or census district) in the 1861 and previous/subsequent censuses!

It beats me even though that's where I am trying to  track the family of Thomas Cook and Euphemia Morris with at least two sons, Joseph(1855) and James(1853) born in Halliwell.

Thanks very much!

Lumber-Jack
Cook, Coggins, Rutherford, Wheatley - Northumberland, Cumberland, Scotland, Australia
Baker, Tayler-  Sussex

Offline rokerman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Halliwell location, Northumberland and Cook family
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 January 06 06:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

There is a Haliwell Dene in Hexham

Rokerman
coates

Offline pn

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 January 06 06:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello Lumber-Jack

I found this on the 1861 census

Northumberland

Monkseaton Village Cullercoates or Cullercroft
RG9/3843 Folio 76 page 9

Uphemia Cook age 44 widow shop keeper  b Lilburn
Joseph Cook age 9 son  b Wylan
James Cook age 6 son b Wylan
Robert Cook age 3 son b Lynmouth 

Regards
Pauline
Lancashire, Cheshire,Westmoreland,Ireland,Cumberland,Cornwall
Middlesex
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pn

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 January 06 07:07 GMT (UK) »
Also found on 1851 census...

HO107/2414 51 27 Wylam

Thomas cook 43 head Ag Lab  Northla, Barnbraugh
Uphemia Cook 33 b   Eglingham
Jane age 13 daug      Northla, Barnbraugh
John age 11 son    b   Ncastham Tyne All Sts
Margaret age 5 daug   b  Ncastham Tyne All Sts
Charlton age 4 son   b  Ncastham Tyne All Sts
Thomas age 1 son   b  Ncastham Tyne All Sts

Not familiar with the area so can't tell you if the transcript of their birth place's are correct. But the spelling for Uphemia is the way it is written on the census.

regards
Pauline
Middlesex

Offline pn

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 January 06 07:17 GMT (UK) »
hi Lumber-Jack

Forgot to metion that the address on the 1851 census is either

Holling Hale or Holling Hall maybe this is where the Halliwell is derived from - perhaps!

Pauline
Middlesex

Offline Lumber-Jack

• RootsChat Senior
  • Old Josiah
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 January 06 06:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for  all your help Rokerman and Pauline,

I took time to reply because I have pieced together a theory from the information so kindly given which I wished to share, with all its gaps and fancies.

The name Euphemia is relatively rare and therefore a good tracking clue, and the ages throughout match to within a year or could have  easily been switched between siblings by the census recorder. So here goes!

Eupehmia Morris ( surname from family folklore!) b. 1817 Lilburn in Eglingham Parish Nrthbld, marries ( date unknown) Thomas Cook b. 1808 agricultural labourer from Bambraugh (known as Bambrough, now Bamburgh, just north of Eglingham. Thomas also is a name which is mentioned in our family folklore.

Daughter Jane is born 1838 in Bambraugh.

Family Cook moves to Newcastle on Tyne ( to seek their fortune/work?) where daughter Margaret (1846) and sons John (1840) , Charlton (1847), and Thomas (1850) are born. ( The census recorder cannot spell Euphemia!)

A tragedy happens between 1851 and 1861. Could that have been the Newcastle Cholera Epidemic of 1854? John and Jane could have been of an age to have married and / or moved on, but there is no record of Margaret, Charleton and Thomas Jnr in the 1861 census. I will have to look for a number of death certificates.

Between 1851 and 1861, Euphemia and Thomas Snr move from the city to Wylam in the Parish of Ovington , Nrthbld on the Durham border west of Newcastle ( where Thomas Snr either worked as a miner or as a labourer at Holeyn Hall , later home of Sir Charles Parsons, inventor of the first multi stage steam engine- Holeyn Hall if spoken in rapid Geordie dialect could be taken by an 1881 census recorder especially if rendered by an aging Euphemia as "halliwell" - and moving to Wylam could have been a tonic to a berieved family. All in these  brackets is my speculation to be  proved or otherwise!)

Sons Joseph (1852) and James (1855) are born at Wylam.

The Cook family moved between 1855 and 1858  further north to Lynmouth ( Linmouth ) , a coastal town in the Woodhorn Parish where son Robert was born (1858) and where, presumably, Thomas Snr worked as a miner.

Between 1858 and !861, Thomas Snr must have died and widowed Euphemia and her three sons set up a shop ( type unknown) in Monkseaton Village adjacent to Cullercoates near Tynemouth.

By 1881, son James Cook had married (date unknown) Ellen (b. 1851) of Chatton, Nthbld and is a coal miner at North Seaton colliery, living at North Seaton Low Quay, Nrthbld with his new daughter Emily (b. 1880 , North Seaton).

Son Joseph Cook is a batchelor coal miner at North Seaton colliery , living at North Seaton Low Quay, Nrthbld, with his aging widowed mother Eupehmia (now 64 years old).

Presumably, son Robert Cook has died or moved away because I cannot find a 23 year old Robert Cook in this region in the 1881 census.

Eventually, (date unknown) , Joseph Cook ( my great grandfather) marries Elizabeth ( Rutherford) Wheatley (b.1858/59) Cambois, Nrthbld and the Wheatley's are another story ( including the ferrymen of the Wansbeck at Cambois) on which I have some info and will follow up later!

What happened to the Cook's from 1881 through the 1900's ( or for that matter prior to 1800) are also other stories, except my grandfather is Josiah Wheatley Cook, a miner at North Seaton colliery who married Eliza Hannah Coggins and eventually lived and died in Newbiggin-by- sea. One other name crops up in my early reseach as a Wheatley nephew - Frederick Greenshields( b 1874 Essex London) whose mother was born in Newbiggin-by sea in 1809 and living in Newbiggin- by -sea in 1881. The tie in remains a mystery.

If any Rootschatters with Cook/Wheatley/Rutherford/Morris /Greenshields
roots in these parts of Northumberland can help or use this story or if I seem way off base in any part please let me know. I have my work cut out for me now to prove it!

Thanks for the help and reading!

Lumber-Jack

Cook, Coggins, Rutherford, Wheatley - Northumberland, Cumberland, Scotland, Australia
Baker, Tayler-  Sussex

Offline Grant45

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 15 January 06 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello Lumberjack
               I think the place you are looking for is Holliwell or Holywell which is a couple of miles west of Monkseaton .The birth place of Robert on the 61 census could be Tynemouth . Holliwell is part of Tynemouth for registration and census purposes
 There is also a registration for Robert Cook for the 2nd Quarter of 1856 in Tynemouth which would make him fit the census age

Grant
GRANT, Markinch Fife & St Thomas Ontario
GILMOUR, Broughty Ferry, Angus & Anstruther Fife
LATTO St Monance Fife
STEWART, Bathgate West Lothian
STEWART,St Monance & Kilrenny
FLEMING, FORREST, Bathgate West Lothian
BATHGATE ,HAIG -East Lothian
STAINES Henham Essex-Edinburgh
ARMSTRONG,Northumberland
FEENEY,Lanarkshire Northumberland Co Durham
DONNISON Northumberland, Co Durham
Census Information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lumber-Jack

• RootsChat Senior
  • Old Josiah
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 15 January 06 16:30 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much Grant,

That makes alot more sense and eliminates the fancy that the Cooks had to move to Linmouth to give birth to Robert!

It still leaves a problem that in the 1881 census James and Joseph are both born in Halliwell (Holywell) and in the 1861 they are both listed as born in Wylam. So I still have Wylam in the picture until I can get at the birth listings.

Thanks again, at 27 below 0 , Lumber-Jack
Baker, Tayler-  Sussex

Offline Grant45

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 15 January 06 17:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello Again
               You make Tyneside sound positively warm. Here are a couple of possibles for you.
 James Cook born 2 Quarter 1852 Hexham Northumberland
Joseph Cook born 2 Quarter 1857 Tynemouth

also
Thomas Cook death 3 Quarter 1858 Tynemouth

All the best
                           Grant
GRANT, Markinch Fife & St Thomas Ontario
GILMOUR, Broughty Ferry, Angus & Anstruther Fife
LATTO St Monance Fife
STEWART, Bathgate West Lothian
STEWART,St Monance & Kilrenny
FLEMING, FORREST, Bathgate West Lothian