Author Topic: Hello anyone else have a GIBBS family in Chorleywood area 1780's?  (Read 5893 times)

Offline jennyM

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Hello anyone else have a GIBBS family in Chorleywood area 1780's?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 15 October 06 12:51 BST (UK) »
 ;)
Thanks Maddie,
It certainly helps to have insider knowledge!
Thanks for your help would it still be possible to check the MI's for me for both Chorleywood & Croxley?
Much appreciated
Best wishes
Jenny
BOYLE Ireland(DON/Doe Point, Creeslough) 
COYLE  Ireland(DON/Derrynamansher)  
DAWSON (HAM/Ryde, Cowes ,Isle of Wight/1815-1915)    
MCDONNELL (Mallow,Cork1860-1940)

Offline Maddie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 15 October 06 14:21 BST (UK) »
No problem Jenny,

Will PM you.

Maddie
Beament, Hertfordshire, Middlesex, Canada, USA.
Brown, Herts & Berkshire
Hester, Oxfordshire
Wise, Berkshire
Dwight, Buckinghamshire
Warrell/Worrel, Bucks & Herts
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jennyM

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 15 October 06 20:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Maddie,
thanks for all the Ricky Mi's, some of them have got to be mine . Hopefully with Phil's friend Robin I might be able to see which ones are!
Thanks for your kind help & time. :D
Best wishes
Jenny
BOYLE Ireland(DON/Doe Point, Creeslough) 
COYLE  Ireland(DON/Derrynamansher)  
DAWSON (HAM/Ryde, Cowes ,Isle of Wight/1815-1915)    
MCDONNELL (Mallow,Cork1860-1940)

Offline SteveMead

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 11 September 08 20:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone.
Please first of all exuse my total ignorance with this site that I came across by accident..My gandfather was Arnold Mead who ran Mead Autos in New Road Croxley Green with His Brother Les. I am really interested now that i too am getting older finding more information about my history to pass on to my Children. My father has now passed on and it is hard to know where to start.. I would love at least to be able to find a picture of Mead Autos to be able to give my son who is mad about cars..I can read that you all have great experience in your researches and would love any help or info that you have..I often heard the name Gibbs mentioned by my family but am not sure how it all fits together

many thanks if you can help

Mead

Offline pdadme

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 12 September 08 14:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve
I live about 6 doors away from the garage and have always lived in Croxley since I was born here in 1955.
I still remember it as Mead Autos, and my family have been having cars serviced there since 1936 when my Grandad bought his house in Harvey Rd.
I am in a bit of a rush at the moment, but will certainly send you some info when I get the time.
I have a photo of the Gibbs brothers outside the garage c1930, and Lawrence that owns the garage has more photos. I believe he will remember Les Mead.
Although it is now called New Rd Service Station, Mead Autos (Croxley Green) is still registered as a company in nearby Pinner which last made returns in July 2007, so it is just possible that there is another Mead still running a company there. Possibly a relative of yours?

Regards
Phil How

Offline grandma

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • James Lynch Ferrigan & Isabella Craig
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 12 September 08 14:33 BST (UK) »
Hi.
I have a Gibbs in my family don,t know if there is any connection.
My gggrandfather James Rodwell  born abt. 1818 died,1867 Watford, He married Martha Gibbs, daughter of John Gibbs and Sarah. Martha was born in Abbots Langley, abt 1820 and died Nov. 8 1894.
Have their marriage cert. but cant see any year on it. Marriage in St Pancras, county of Middelsex.
Mary

Offline Grundy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 22 September 08 11:05 BST (UK) »
The following appeared in the September issue of My Croxley magazine. I hope it is of interest.

NEW ROAD GARAGE – 80 YEARS OF HISTORY

Older residents of Croxley Green may remember New Road Garage being a Blacksmiths many years ago. For those who don't remember, the establishment on New Road certainly has a big history behind it, with one resident seeing it change over the last 80 years. Henry Gibbs, 89, of Grove Crescent, grew up in the village before being called up for the Navy for the Second World War. His grandparents moved to the village in 1898, where his grandfather, Jessie Gibbs, bought a Blacksmiths shop, which was next to where the Sportsman Pub now stands, opposite All Saints Church. In 1900, the property on New Road, now New Road Garage, became available, and he moved his business to the larger establishment, along with his family who took up residence next door. "The building was bigger and he could offer more services. The old building was purely a Blacksmiths and Farrier establishment, but the one on New Road offered painting and sign writing services - the full treatment." The business was run by Henry's father and his three uncles, Dennis, Walter and Wally Chapman. Henry lived at number 46 New Road before the war, and was 21 when he was called up to the RNWR (RN volunteer Wireless Reserve). He was useful with Morse Code, so decided he would go into the Navy, rather than be pushed. He married whilst on some leave, before returning to an Armed Merchant Cruiser because of poor eyesight. He spent time in Canada and on Atlantic convoys, before being recalled in 1940, because of his eyes - and became shore-based for the remainder of the war. He then moved to Mill End with his wife until 1977, during which time the Blacksmiths closed. His cousins Arnold and Reginald subsequently reopened it as a garage - calling it Mead Autos. "I don't know what happened after they bought it," he said. Henry moved back to the village in 1977, where, he says, he has spent many happy years. Looking at the building now, Henry says that it still looks the same from the outside, and brings back to him happy memories of his childhood. "I was the youngest of seven and I'm the last one still alive. I still remember the happy times we had as a family, and the Blacksmiths on New Road played a big part in that."

www.mycroxley.net

Grundy
Holland, Green, Quick, Tavener, Martindale, Sills