Author Topic: 1841 Look up, Shirley/Croydon, Surrey  (Read 2176 times)

Offline ninakin

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
1841 Look up, Shirley/Croydon, Surrey
« on: Sunday 15 January 06 22:01 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I wonder if someone can help me. Trying to find this family in the 1841 census:
William Buckland b. ?
Martha Buckland b. abt. 1787, Farnham, Surrey
Thomas Buckland b. 1832/1833, Shirley, Surrey.

I only have the 1851 to go by and by then it was only Martha (widow) and her son Thomas living in Shirley Hill, Croydon. I'm also trying to trace their (William and Martha's) marriage as I've found nothing on the IGI so far.
Ninakin.
London (Bethnal Green, Mile End, Fulham, Chelsea); Wise, Guenin, King, Hargrave, Lockyer Drury, Lafbery, Mullins, Royce, Mowden<br />Huguenot names: Guenin, Lezome, Desanthuns, Despaigne, Le Houcq, Six<br />Derbys, Notts, Yorks; Hayes, Marriott, Meredith, Hill, Ball<br />Kent; Eldridge, Reynolds, Heartfield<br />Buckinghamshire; East
Ireland; Mullins, Head<br />

Offline carol_cholsey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 Look up, Shirley/Croydon, Surrey
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 April 06 22:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Ninakin,
Found this entry for you in the 1841 census:
ref HO107 1078-09 folio 58 page 25: Shirley Common, Shirley, Croydon
Martha Buckland age 40 laundress born Scotland
John Anderson age 34 painter born in county
Mary Williams age 23 born in county
Charlotte Gardner age 7 not born in county

This is a bit of a mixed bunch of people, but no sign of a husband, or son Thomas I'm afraid.
xx Carol
WINTON in Sussex & Kent; ALGER, ANTHONEY & MERCER in Rotherhithe, Surrey & Deptford, Kent; WHITBREAD in Shefford, Beds; KEELING in Yorks, Lincs & Leics; BLONK & SEASTRON in Sheffield, Yorks; BENNETT, MILLER, SUMMERS, BOSSLEY, WOULDHAM & SHOVLAR in Gravesend, Kent

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ninakin

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 April 06 22:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol,
Thanks for that! I've searched for them in the 1841 my self but didn't find anything! Looks like a mixed bunch as you say, I'll try to follow this Martha Buckland's Scotland link, maybe I'll get somewhere!
Thank you again!
Ninakin.
London (Bethnal Green, Mile End, Fulham, Chelsea); Wise, Guenin, King, Hargrave, Lockyer Drury, Lafbery, Mullins, Royce, Mowden<br />Huguenot names: Guenin, Lezome, Desanthuns, Despaigne, Le Houcq, Six<br />Derbys, Notts, Yorks; Hayes, Marriott, Meredith, Hill, Ball<br />Kent; Eldridge, Reynolds, Heartfield<br />Buckinghamshire; East

Offline 'Tricia

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Edith Gent Bowskill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 April 06 22:33 BST (UK) »
Did you see this chap on the 1841?

Name: Thomas Buckland
birth year:  1832
Born: Surrey, England

Living Addington  Surrey (Same area as Shirley Hills)
Surrey 

HO107/1078/1  Croydon 
Folio: 20 
Page: 10

Can't work out if it is the Workhouse - have a look

Tricia
Census transcriptions are Crown Copyright from www.NationalArchives.gov.uk
Nottinghamshire,Bulwell: Bowskill, Everley, Gent, Haywood, Houghton, Wilkinson.
Nottinghamshire, Mansfield:- Baxter
Buckinghamshire: Charlesworth, Fowler
Derbyshire:Brimington:- Adams, Baxter
London: Bird, Charlesworth, Coleman, Desmoulins, Everard, Jarman, Quinton, Richards
Italy: Gioffredi

Offline ninakin

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 24 April 06 22:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks Tricia, yes I did, I just wasn't sure of the area he was in, thanks for clearing that up for me! Well, there's a good chance he's the one I'm after... Just wondering why he's on his own with this 'Jupp' family? Did a search on the address Badger's Hole and found this: 'Badger's Hole began as a site for temporary homes of casual workers'. What do you think that means for 'my' Thomas? I would very much like the Marthe you found Carol, to be the right Martha, but the age varies a lot, so does birth place... Still, I'll dig a bit and see what I come up with!

Thanks to both Carol and Tricia!
Ninakin.

Offline carol_cholsey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 24 April 06 23:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Ninakin,
Just a vague thought on this one. Would it be worth considering that Thomas was Martha's son, born before she married William Jupp, and that her maiden name was Buckland. It seems a very odd coincidence that you're looking for a William and Martha Buckland, and Thomas is lodging with a William and Martha Jupp.

The ages that you quote from the 1851 census don't tally with this, but maybe Martha in 1851 is Thomas' grandmother, rather than mother, and is actually the Martha Buckland that I found in 1841.

Worth considering maybe ?
xx Carol
WINTON in Sussex & Kent; ALGER, ANTHONEY & MERCER in Rotherhithe, Surrey & Deptford, Kent; WHITBREAD in Shefford, Beds; KEELING in Yorks, Lincs & Leics; BLONK & SEASTRON in Sheffield, Yorks; BENNETT, MILLER, SUMMERS, BOSSLEY, WOULDHAM & SHOVLAR in Gravesend, Kent

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ninakin

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 24 April 06 23:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol,
That's a very good idea you have there, why didn't I see that?! I'll go back to the 'drawing board' with these new thoughts around my Thomas, I have a feeling I will get somewhere with this, thank you very much!!  :)
Ninakin.

Offline 'Tricia

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Edith Gent Bowskill
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 24 April 06 23:40 BST (UK) »
Do bear in mind, though, that 1851 clearly states 'son'

Tricia
Census transcriptions are Crown Copyright from www.NationalArchives.gov.uk
Nottinghamshire,Bulwell: Bowskill, Everley, Gent, Haywood, Houghton, Wilkinson.
Nottinghamshire, Mansfield:- Baxter
Buckinghamshire: Charlesworth, Fowler
Derbyshire:Brimington:- Adams, Baxter
London: Bird, Charlesworth, Coleman, Desmoulins, Everard, Jarman, Quinton, Richards
Italy: Gioffredi

Offline damikinch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 26 April 06 00:22 BST (UK) »
Hello Ninakin.

Adding to the replies by Carol and Tricia.

Microfiche of the Croydon List of Settlement Certificates
as published by East Surrey FHS.

Martha BUCKLAND Dec 24,1831.Addington +expected child/ren.

I think that these certificates are at Woking(originally at Kingston)
The original certificate may,or may not,flesh out the details as listed.

There is no male BUCKLAND listed around this time,so it looks as if Martha was unattached,either through being unmarried or widowed.

The Surrey Super Index,published by West Surrey FHS,indicates that the name BUCKLAND is to be found within the Addington Baptismal Registers(1813-1851).

Dave.

BONIFACE,Hoxton & Chatham.
CARTER,Bucks & Middx.
KINCH,Berks.
RIDLEY,Surrey.
STREETER,Croydon.

Census information is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk