Author Topic: RODWAY in 1841 census Trevethin - COMPLETE thank you!  (Read 3863 times)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
RODWAY in 1841 census Trevethin - COMPLETE thank you!
« on: Monday 16 January 06 13:29 GMT (UK) »
A new name for my tree!

I am searching for Phoebe/ Phebe RODWAY born c 1821 in Newnham, Gloucestershire.

She married in Pontypool in 1847 and is found on 1851 census with husband David MORGAN in Trevethin.

I don't yet have her marriage cert, so don't know her parents names, but there is a possible sibling I would like to investigate:

1851 census   Malthouse, Trevethin, Monmouthshire

Thomas RODWAY H M 35 - puddler in iron works - Newnham, Gloucs
Ann W M 39 - London
William son 14 - Risca, Monmouthshire
Charles son 12 - Trevethin
Edward son 10 - ditto
(& others under 10 in 1851)

I wonder whether it is possible to find either Thomas or (preferably!!) Phoebe in 1841, please?  Any others would also be welcome!!

Many thanks,

Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline rhys

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: RODWAY in 1841 census Trevethin please
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 January 06 14:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Arran

1841 Trevethin
HO107  7447 F 10 P 11
BRICKYARD ROW
All Rodaway
Thomas  25 Pudler N
Ann 30 N
William 35 Y
Edwin 1 Y
Charles 3  Y

A search shows no Phoebe in Gloucester 1841
There is one in Monmouthshire
Phoebe Rodaway or Roadway. She is in service in Abersychan. Trevethin  with a Williams family
. Age 20. born out of county

Also in Trevethin
Elizabeth Rodway 40 and Aaron 20
 Both born out of county
this pair are in the same residence

Bouncing Emails

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 January 06 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Rhys!

I don't know whether to laugh or cry!

I am sure that Phoebe must be mine - as sure as you can be without being certain anyway!

I think Elizabeth might be the one in Aberdare in 1851 - same age & widowed.  Does she have an occupation, by any chance?  She is a grocer in 1851 and her sister Sarah BEVAN is in the same household.  They are born Wotton under Edge, Gloucestershire.  I have posted for her on the Glamorgan board (I knew I should have been more patient!)

One of the witnesses at Phoebe's wedding was a Sarah WILLIAMS, but of course there are plenty of those about.

Will have a look for Aaron in later censuses.

Is Thomas anywhere near the other families in 1841?

many thanks for your help

Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline rhys

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 January 06 14:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi
 No occupation For Elizabeth. Aaron is the head of house and a Shoemaker. He could be 25, as the age is not that clear. They were living in Sowhill. Thomas and family were
in the Blaensychan area ,so i would think that the three families were no more than a mile or so apart.

Rhys
Bouncing Emails

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 January 06 14:51 GMT (UK) »
Well that give me plenty to be going on with - thanks again.

The only Aaron I can find dies in Chipping Sodbury shortly after.  No idea whether it is him.

;)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: RODWAY in 1841 census Trevethin - COMPLETE thank you!
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 September 06 17:42 BST (UK) »
Yes, I know it says Complete!

Just a little update - Phoebe's parents turn out to be Helen and John RODWAY.

Tentatively John is born c1780 Upton St Leonard's, Gloucestershire and Helen (Ellen) born c 1784 (where?) and died in 1832 in Newnham, Gloucestershire. I don't have a marriage for this couple, but the Forest of Dean Family History Society have possible siblings for Phoebe: Thomas 1814, Mary 1817, Elijah 1823 and Charles 1825. 

Anyone connected, please shout!

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

Offline msubutterbean

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 09 June 14 23:08 BST (UK) »
Arranroots,

I believe I may be descended from your John and Helen Rodway. I have one of John and Helen's children as James Rodway, born 15 Jan 1812 and baptized on 9 Feb 1812 in Newnham, Gloucestershire and married to a Mary Ann. James is my 4g-grandfather through his son Charles, through his son Charles, through his son Charles Ronald, through his son Charles Ronald, through his son David Charles, my father. I live in America, specifically Mississippi. I would be willing to share any info I have with you that may be useful.

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 13 June 14 12:51 BST (UK) »
Hi MSUButterbean - welcome to Rootschat!

Sorry it took me a few days to get back to you.

Well, this looks promising, doesn't it? I wonder where you got your information about James? I confess I will need to go back to my records to check what I know & where from. Certainly the Forest of Dean FHS records played a big part.

Once you've posted a few more times, you'll be able to use the Personal Message system here on Rootschat and we can discuss.

Hope to hear from you soon, kind regards Arranroots :)