Author Topic: Rootschat's own Victorian Photos website!!  (Read 16709 times)

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
Rootschat's own Victorian Photos website!!
« on: Monday 16 January 06 21:18 GMT (UK) »
I thought I would start a new thread to introduce this website to Rootschatters who may not have been following the old, convoluted thread!!

Rootschat has its very own website showcasing 19th (and early 20th) century photographs. 

Note added 16 Aug 2010:  Please see thread at http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,232465.0.html for details of the new website and address  :)

At this stage, I am scanning and loading several hundred photographs donated to the Rootschat community by our generous member Jakky.  Others have volunteered to donate images of their own photos to the website, and I'll get around to contacting them when I've finished loading all the pics I currently have. 

The idea of the site originally was to try to reunite these photographs with their families, based on any inscriptions on the backs of the photos, and the locations of the photographers.  Some pictures have no identification on them at all though, sadly  :'(   As I load more and more photos, I have realised what a great resource we have here for Victorian and Edwardian fashions and photographic techniques and processes, poses, and mounting styles, so if I ever get time I hope to expand on that aspect of the site.  There are several other great websites out there doing a similar thing, which you can find via the links at http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,307752.0.html

I hope you enjoy the website!  PLease contact me either in this thread or by PM if you have any questions or comments - and especially if you can link to someone in the photos!!  :D :D :D :D

Prue

Offline goggy

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Rootschat's own Victorian Photos website!!
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 January 06 00:31 GMT (UK) »
PrueM !
That's my planned searche's shot to he**+gone!!
Seriously,a question,the matter of living rellie's.Would it be polite to ask permission of them afore putting older rellie's on show??
I have recently received,very happily,some of my 'immediate' family,and some of the not yet known variety,some of which are from another 'searcher/genealogist.'
Am not yet skilled in attaching photo's but am under competent instruction!!!
Advice appreciated + taken notice of.
                Goggy. ;)

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 January 06 01:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi goggy,
I've been following your lessons with denn  ;D

Regarding putting pictures of rellies up on a website, I personally follow the rule that if the person is dead but their children are living, I ask the children what they think.  If they have no objection then I put up the pics.  I have not yet had a refusal but I realise that could happen.
I figure if the person lived so long ago that their children too have passed away, then as a descendant of that person I have the right to decide what I do with the photos in my custody (short of destroying them, which no-one has the right to do in my opinion!)

Those are just my personal ethics regarding the situtation.  I'm probably going to be taken to task by others, but we all have different opinions.

Hope that helps!

Prue  :)

Offline goggy

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 January 06 01:23 GMT (UK) »
PrueM!
Just realised from my viewing that I(naturally)wrote before my brain was in gear!
Mine are all much later,so I'll back for a while,wait 'til a few year's pass by!
Thank you for your reply and advice.
That collection must be a labour of love for all involved,loved it.I know for a fact that there were more family photo's than you could poke a stick at,as a young man Igot the family history,shot by shot,page by everlasing page,from certain Aunt's.If only---and so on!!
        Thank you Prue, and Jakky.
                 Goggy. ;) ;D

Offline jakky

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 January 06 11:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Prue,

Last lot posted today,

regards

Jakky
Thomas.  Wigan Bolton & Fleetwood
Wilcox. Liverpool & Fleetwood.
Lamplough. Hull.
Hallam. Wigan & Bolton
Jordan. Hackney.
Burtonwood. Wigan,Bolton
All Census Look Up Transcriptions Are Crown Copyright.

Offline Wendi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Peeking into the past
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 17 January 06 21:34 GMT (UK) »
Just a quick thank you to both Jackky for caring, and Prue for her work (& Rootschat for providing the space) - a picture says 1,000 words and these have been saved - hope someone claims one.

Although I have not closely looked at all of them CDV026.jpg says 1,000 on it's own!!

Wendi
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it,
unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

SCOTT ~ Monmouthshire & Glamorgan
BUCKLEY ~ Cork & Manchester
FRANKLIN ~ Clerkenwell, London
BRADY ~ Kildare & Manchester
DERICK ~ France
FRIEND ~ Kent & Portsmouth
TYLDESLEY ~ Lancashire

Offline piedstilt

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "Show me the way to go home ..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 21 January 06 04:49 GMT (UK) »
Prue, what a fantastic labour of love. I loathe scanning photographs (it is so BORING!) and I am full of admiration for your efforts.

I do hope someone finds a long-lost family member, which will make it all worth while.

Ros
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jakky

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 11 February 06 12:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Prue,

What a super job you have done, so professional.

Let us hope that someone claims one of them at least, they make interesting viewing, especially the fashions and the children,

Thank you

Jakky
Thomas.  Wigan Bolton & Fleetwood
Wilcox. Liverpool & Fleetwood.
Lamplough. Hull.
Hallam. Wigan & Bolton
Jordan. Hackney.
Burtonwood. Wigan,Bolton
All Census Look Up Transcriptions Are Crown Copyright.

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 11 February 06 20:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi jakky,
Thanks so much - of course it's all down to you and your generous donation of all the photos....I'm sorry I haven't been able to put any more up for a while - I'm moving house in two weeks, so things are pretty hectic right now!  :o  :o  :o  As soon as I'm settled in the new place, I'll get stuck into this again.  There are so many more gorgeous pics to put up.
 :)
Prue