Author Topic: Rootschat's own Victorian Photos website!!  (Read 16708 times)

Offline HeatherB

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rootschat's own Victorian Photos website!!
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 12 February 06 01:56 GMT (UK) »
What a pity we couldn't do a DNA test on photo's as a lot of them look the same they could almost be anyones relatives I suppose if you have family surnames you might see a resemblence to your family. With big or small ears, noses chins size and that sort of thing.

The huge cost of having a studio photo taken in those days makes you wonder why they didn't make a note on them or did they think they would be remembered forever?

Doesn't it just get to you when you pick up a photo and it has written on it Mum and Dad ? or Dad and the boys or holiday at Brighton. What do you think of my new hat? Dad off to the races. Haven't the boys grown? One a bit more informative had we took the Brodie boys with us to the picnic so were the fair ones their kids or the dark ones and who were they anyway. What I like is Jim and his girl friend what Jim ? Ina and her fiance
what Ina?  But the killer of them all has guess who on it. No I cannot guess not 80 years later I wasn't born then. But I am still guessing anyway.

Cheers Heather

Offline annaandchester

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 18 February 06 17:03 GMT (UK) »
They are stunning pictures - what a great idea
McLeods - Hartlepool, Liverpool, Inverness(?)<br />Simpsons - Carlisle, Westmorland<br />Harris - Carlisle, Kent<br />Reads - Birmingham and Staffordshire<br />Allens - Marylebone London<br />Zych - Poland
Holmes - Bawdsey, Suffolk
Perks - Hampshire
McQueen - Carlisle
Carrick - Carlisle
Haugh - Carlisle
Irving - Irving
Collett - Bredon, Worcester
Harrison - Carlisle
Knight - Carlisle
Thompson - Carlisle
Johnstone - Carlisle
Rogerson - Dumfries and Carlisle
Wood - Ontario

Offline wheeldon

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 25 February 06 12:09 GMT (UK) »
I also wanted to say a big thank you to Prue and Jakky for enabling us to see these marvelous photographs.  They are a real glimpse into the past and I'm sure I will spend a lot of time going through them.

They also make me feel very sad though, I can imagine each photo once being someones pride and joy, placed on a mantle piece for all to see, being talked about, meticulously dusted etc.

Many thanks again

Fiona
Wheeldon  Derbyshire & Manchester
Willshaw Staffordshire & Manchester
Wilshaw Staffordshire & Manchester
Pugh Manchester, Haston, Hadwell, Shrewsbury, Shropshire
Patrick Coventry, Warwick, Foleshill
Kelly Dronmore County Down & Manchester
Stewart  Hilsborough County Down & Manchester
Moffatt/Moffitt County May &, Lancashire