Author Topic: libraries now charging for the use of film/fich readers.How will this affect you  (Read 1150 times)

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Today i made a second visit  to the library to use the film reader. And finish of what i started yesterday,i cannot sit for long periods so often have to do that or i take a break and do the directories. Today i was informed that as from yesterday a charge of 50p a session (2 hours)will be made. 50p is nothing you might say,but they still charge that if you only use for any minits like 5. This will affect the numerous look ups i now do on film besides burial ones. Because if a year of a burial is known but the cemetery is a Might be buried in Rake lane,.I can go all through that year and not find it,to go through all the other cemeteries i have to use Birkenhead library. That would take a couple of trips,each time i will have to pay, and still not find anything.
I find i am now in a dilemma because a lot of look ups are from people living abroad. If i have to make three trips, i cant charge people can i, I mean how can i say "can you forward $3 please.Do i just wait till i have enough look ups, or go once a month and keep customers waiting because they have missed the slot. Would like to here what Lancs Lass has to say as well, dont think she will be pleased at the news though :o. Plus others like us who use the library to help others with thier genealogy

Celia :(
Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: libraries now charging for the use of film/fich readers.How will this affect you
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 January 06 08:44 GMT (UK) »
This is sad.  If a library offers the resource, and the resource requires special equipment to "open" it, then that should be provided, free of charge.  They wouldn't charge you to open a book, so why this?  I think it's just a shortsighted way of fundraising. 
If you are bringing films in that you got somewhere else, and simply using their equipment to read them, then that's a different story.
ARMSTRONG - Castleton Scot; NB; Westminstr Twp
BARFIELD - Nailsea
BRAKE - Nailsea
BURIATTE
CANDY - M'sex, Deptford
CLIFFORD - Maidstone
DURE(E) - France, Devon, Canada
HALLS - Chigwell
KREIN, Peter/Adam - Germany
LEOPOLD - Hanover, London
LATTIMER, MAXWELL - Ldn lightermen
MEYER - Lauenstein
MURRAY - Scot borders
STEWART - Chelsea; Reach
SWANICK - Mayo & Roscommon; Ontario
WEST - Rochester & Maidstone
WILLIS - Wilts, Berks, Hants, London
WOODHOUSE - Bristol tobacconist, London
WW1 internees

Offline Guy Etchells

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: libraries now charging for the use of film/fich readers.How will this affect
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 January 06 08:51 GMT (UK) »
Have a quiet word with the librarian and explain the situation, that you cannot sit for long sessions at a time.
Explain that their new rules are discriminating against your use of the library and see if they can come to some compromise.
Perhaps they would allow you to log the time over multiply sessions once they know the problem.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline celia

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: libraries now charging for the use of film/fich readers.How will this affect you
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 January 06 12:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Sorry for that out, bust,but i am so annoyed,(not about spending 50p  ;D )our library only has one electronic film reader,and one Fitch reader.The Archives in liverpool Birkenhead took away the only electronic film reader they had.They replaced that one with what i call "one arm bandit. To go with the other three. I did contact the library department about this at the time last year, and explained the matter. Because they are awful machines you had use a small handle to wined the film and stand up if you want see the screen Mind you i am small but thats not the point  others complained about aching arms and back as well..It takes forever  They did help a bit.They put bigger wheels so you got more turn ;D The powers that be also promised to put the electronic one back but they didn't. It seems we will have to pay for those as well,not me ;) I jokingly asked can genealogists have a pass ;D.(Like the card i had for the chester & Cheshire Archives) Anyway i was given a form to fill in and i will. The libraries say these machines are mostly used for pleasure,i disagree on that. I have been told i always get results when others don't. So it must be something to do with the cheerfull sometimes funny, but serious letters a send. So one goes off today, the money is probably to pay for the  new large computer room  and loads of new computers. Which mostly stand unused, Don't worry folks it wont stop the work i do ;D

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline odessa

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 January 06 14:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Celia,

Are we talikng about Cheshire County Council Libraries here? I'm much the same as yourself and only manage just over an hour a session......slow going I know, but each hour makes a difference  ;)

Odessa
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk