Author Topic: Turnbull / Bonchesterbrige  (Read 27226 times)

Offline TTLovesKwi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Californian
    • View Profile
Re: Turnbull / Bonchesterbrige
« Reply #108 on: Thursday 11 February 21 15:41 GMT (UK) »
All,

I might have caused some confusion.  Here's an enlargement of the image showing the "X" on our copy.

Offline TTLovesKwi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Californian
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: Thursday 11 February 21 16:18 GMT (UK) »
Brett,

Thank you for the image and info.  I'll work on reconciling that info with other data and see what I come up with.  You gave a new variation of William R Wilson's name - "William Richardson Wilson."

I've been assuming that his middle name was "Richard", at least partially based on the data I pulled from the Scotlandspeople site.  I've attached a screen shot of that data.  But, based on other data from that same site, it appears that WRW's grandmother was Betty Richardson, so "Richardson" as a middle name makes sense.  Is this your opinion?

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: Thursday 11 February 21 16:40 GMT (UK) »
I've been assuming that his middle name was "Richard", at least partially based on the data I pulled from the Scotlandspeople site.  I've attached a screen shot of that data. 
That's only the index listing. You can view the full original document at modest cost, which will clarify whether it is Richard or Richardson.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline TTLovesKwi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Californian
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: Thursday 11 February 21 17:01 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Forfarian.  I've not yet taken that approach, not just because I'm cheap, but because I want to be somewhat methodical in which I download.  I've been dumping all of the Scotlandpeople results into a spreadsheet and I'm close to 200 entries.  I use the spreadsheet approach to re-sort based on date and event.  As I mentioned previously, I'm a neophyte at this.

BTW, are there any suggestions on where one could acquire the book that has been mentioned several times?  It appears to be out of print, and I've not found an online copy (yet).

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: Thursday 11 February 21 19:58 GMT (UK) »
TTLK, I have sent you a personal message with a possible source for the book.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline StintonLomas

• RootsChat Senior
  • I'm a Cousin - are you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: Thursday 11 February 21 20:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Does anyone have any earlier information about William Beck who married into the Wilson family?
   William Beck
      Sex :   Male
      Notes :
An Englishman

Married   
     Margaret Wilson  born 1759 Daughter of   Father : Walter Wilson   Mother :   Catherine Oliver

Children :   1781   Katharine Douglas Beck
         1780   William Beck
            Sally Trotter Beck
            Peggy Beck
            Betty Farquhar Beck
         1785   John Beck
            Nanny Thorburn Beck
My tree has led me back to them via Sally Trotter Beck, William and Margaret's daughter.

The info source for the above was a correspondent across the pond.
Malmesbury- Bishop.
Gloucestershire-Bishop,Hicks,Higgs,Hill,Hooper,Hopkins,Pitcher,Robertson,Stinton,Terret,Woodruff.
Worcestershire-Stinton. 
Devon- Borrough or Burrow.

Offline BrettMaximus

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: Thursday 11 February 21 23:49 GMT (UK) »
@TTLovesKwi

That is quite a coincidence TTLovesKwi, that your Aunt marked the tree with an X as that line did not continue, however, Lucy Ann Wilson, who had the tree made up in 1890, may not have been aware, that my Great Great Grandfather emigrated to Australia in 1852 and she was not born until 1853. So the line did in fact continue.

Did you see the photo of John Wilson? I also have a photo of his and his wife's headstone/monument that I took when in Hawick, Scotland in 2014.

Yes, William Richardson Wilson is the correct full name. That William Richardson Wilson, son of John Wilson, also had a son named William Richardson Wilson JNR. 1869-1902. He died relatively young, whilst on business in the USA of pneumonia from memory? 

William Richardson Wilson JNR was the 1894 Cornet for the annual Hawick Common Riding.

Photo attached.

Brett

Offline BrettMaximus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: Friday 12 February 21 00:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Does anyone have any earlier information about William Beck who married into the Wilson family?
   William Beck
      Sex :   Male
      Notes :
An Englishman

Married   
     Margaret Wilson  born 1759 Daughter of   Father : Walter Wilson   Mother :   Catherine Oliver

Children :   1781   Katharine Douglas Beck
         1780   William Beck
            Sally Trotter Beck
            Peggy Beck
            Betty Farquhar Beck
         1785   John Beck
            Nanny Thorburn Beck
My tree has led me back to them via Sally Trotter Beck, William and Margaret's daughter.

The info source for the above was a correspondent across the pond.

@StintonLomas

Not sure if this will help, but you may find it informative all the same. Walter Wilson AKA Handless Wat as he was born with just one hand. He and Catherine Oliver were my 5 x Great Grandparents.

William Beck (18th/19th C.) from Carlisle, he was apprenticed to Bailie Hardie in 1775. Afterwards he started out on his own, and by 1818 was producing 41,000 pairs of hose per year. He became one of the most popular employers in Hawick, being the only manufacturer who refused to lower wages during the dispute that led to the ‘Lang Stand Oot’ of 1822.

There is a record of 1788 (with the Board of Trustees for Manufactures) of him asking for funds to purchase a frame for ribbed stockings. One of his frame knitting apprentices was John Pringle,  half brother of Robert, founder of Pringle’s. He is still recorded as a stocking manufacturer on the High Street in Pigot’s 1825/6 directory. His firm was declared bankrupt in 1821, but must have recovered. However, it collapsed in 1826, possibly related to bank failures at the time.

A sale of his company’s and personal effects took place in the Subscription Rooms in late 1827 (including the sale of his share in those Rooms). Since his household possessions were also being sold off, then probably he died in 1827.

An engraved cup presented to him by his employees in 1819 is in the Museum. His stocking-shop was off the back of 21 High Street, and he is marked as owner there on Wood’s 1824 map. In 1779 he married Margaret (or ‘Peggy’) Wilson, daughter of Walter Wilson (known as ‘Handless Wat’) in Hawick.

Their children included: William (b.1780), who died unmarried; Katherine (b.1781), who married Robert Douglas in 1800; Sarah (b.1783), who must have died young; John (b.1783), possibly a twin of Sarah; Sarah or Sally (b.1785), who married George Trotter; Margaret or ‘Peggy’ (b.1786), who married John Routledge and secondly M. Thompson; Betty, who married G. Farquhar; and Nanny (or perhaps Nancy), who married John Thorburn.

He was said to be fond of good eating, and his house was a favourite eating place for friends and relations. In later life his wife was known as ‘Auld Peggy Beck’. William Beck JNR (b.1780) elder son of manufacturer William. He was a hosier and was Cornet in 1808. Like his father he was listed as a freeman of Carlisle in an election of 1816. He died unmarried.

Beck’s (beks) n. William Beck’s stockingshop. The building was constructed about 1800 and marks a transition between the cottage and factory industries. The firm collapsed in 1826 following bank failures. The upper floor of the building has small regularly sized and spaced windows, each of which would have provided light for a single stocking frame. It is hidden at the back of 21 High Street, and was converted into a dwelling by Dennis Rodwell for the National Trust for Scotland in 1991 as part of the ‘Little Houses’ scheme. It is a grade C listed building.

Courtesy of "A Hawick Word Book" by Professor Douglas Scott (You can find this online). I am mentioned in it as a contributor.

http://www.astro.ubc.ca/people/scott/book.pdf

Brett

Offline BrettMaximus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: Friday 12 February 21 01:22 GMT (UK) »
TTLK, I have sent you a personal message with a possible source for the book.

The 1973 book "The Wilson Story" would be fairly rare I would think, and the 1983 Postscript (11 pages) would be even rarer I would think. Some libraries may have a copy. I got mine from the author's daughter in New Zealand. We did a book swap, but I got the feeling that that book may have been amongst the last of them?

The Postscript shows a portrait of my GGGG Grandfather Walter Wilson (1770-1847) but incorrectly suggest that the portrait is of his older brother William Wilson (1764-1832).

You may need to scroll on the attached image, as it is quite wide. I have included a pic to the right of the photo from the postscript also as a collage, or comparison so to speak.

Brett