Author Topic: Turnbull / Bonchesterbrige  (Read 27240 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Turnbull / Bonchesterbrige
« Reply #117 on: Friday 12 February 21 05:24 GMT (UK) »
One of the most important features of the RootsChat community is collaboration based on trust, respect, integrity, and common purpose.

Sadly,  I note that to me, that there seems to be something fundamentally wrong.

At reply #66 there's that X mark, which EMW posted, along with computer generated red text.

At reply #96 there's an X Mark plus handwriting lower right hand area.

At reply #104, no X mark, no handwriting

At reply #108, X mark, zoomed re reply #96.

So at reply # 105 I asked a question....
BUT now I simply say ...

It is the same X mark each time.  It is not a mark madet 100 years ago. It is a more recent mark.  The handwriting on the document at reply #96 is NOT in the style of 100 years ago, and is BLOCK HANDWRITTEN, and the numbers are as taught starting from the 1960s.  Most likely it is written using a biro.

I say no more.

JM.

Dear Tim,

The family tree that was marked with an X came from my private collection.  It was marked by Aunt Cynthia because the family line did not continue.  There were no fruits from that branch.

Sincerely,

Mike

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline BrettMaximus

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: Friday 12 February 21 06:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi @MAJM

The image of the family Tree that has been shared here, is from the Book, The Wilson Story, published in 1973 by Cynthia Anne Ormond Wierzbicka (Nee Wilson).

In the book image (and you can see the crease in the image from the book), there is no X nor is there handwriting. I scanned the image from the book and printed it.

I then marked the X on it with pencil to denote my branch of the tree for my GGG Grandfather "Walter Wilson" Cabinet Maker from Hawick (1798-1862).

I also wrote By Lucy Ann Wilson 1890.

I did this, so when I re-scanned it or photographed it, it would be easy to see what line I was talking about and to also note who got the tree printed it up and when "Lucy Ann Wilson" of Hawick, Scotland.

This is my handwriting (Print writing) and not my best cursive writing as that has declined due to computer use.

I sent the scan of the tree with the X on it and the handwriting to E.M Wilson and I had already sent it to Professor Douglas Scott (Astrophysics - Canada) who was born and raised in Hawick, Scotland. Douglas knows more about the people, names and places surrounding Hawick and the Scottish Borders than probably anyone. http://www.astro.ubc.ca/people/scott/book.pdf

I am also mentioned in the credits of this book under Thenks (Thanks)

Oh, and spot on regarding writing styles (Born in 69) ;-)

If there is another copy of the tree with an X marked on it for some reason, then it would be interesting to see it.

Reply #104 was a new photo that I took from the book at the time of the post ;-)

And here is a photo taken just now with the Book, The Tree, My Mac computer and this very RootsChat forum open on my computer in Sunny Melbourne, Australia. Please see attached (Below).

One of the most important features of the RootsChat community is collaboration based on trust, respect, integrity, and common purpose.

Sadly,  I note that to me, that there seems to be something fundamentally wrong.

At reply #66 there's that X mark, which EMW posted, along with computer generated red text.

At reply #96 there's an X Mark plus handwriting lower right hand area.

At reply #104, no X mark, no handwriting

At reply #108, X mark, zoomed re reply #96.

So at reply # 105 I asked a question....
BUT now I simply say ...

It is the same X mark each time.  It is not a mark madet 100 years ago. It is a more recent mark.  The handwriting on the document at reply #96 is NOT in the style of 100 years ago, and is BLOCK HANDWRITTEN, and the numbers are as taught starting from the 1960s.  Most likely it is written using a biro.

I say no more.

JM.

Dear Tim,

The family tree that was marked with an X came from my private collection.  It was marked by Aunt Cynthia because the family line did not continue.  There were no fruits from that branch.

Sincerely,

Mike

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: Friday 12 February 21 06:30 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Brett.

Waiting now for

..... Tim and Mike ....   possibly in different time zones?

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The Wilson Family of Hawick
« Reply #120 on: Friday 12 February 21 06:37 GMT (UK) »
In doing a Google search on the Wilson Family history of Hawick, I stumbled upon an exchange between E. M. Wilson and Forfarian that I guess got a little chippy and the moderator ended the forum.  In that exchange, E. M. Wilson stated, among other things, " There have been books written documenting the family history, there is the family tree.  The tree is published in one of the books by a real publishing company.  It's not some piece of paper I had lying around. The tree was hand drawn by Lucy Ann Wilson in 1890, a prudish Victorian (1853-1944 and Granddaughter of William Wilson)." That really caught my attention as it so happens that a beautiful copy of that hand drawn tree was framed and graced my grandfather's house for years here in California until he passed away in the 1990's.  I joined the rootschat to see if I could reach out to E.M. and compare notes.  My grandfather was the grandson of Elizabeth Ann Wilson - center top leaf on said tree.  Any info would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

Just copying  some posts

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: Friday 12 February 21 06:39 GMT (UK) »
Here's a photo of the Wilson Family Tree that has been inf California for approximately 100 years.

No,  that's not  been in California for approximately 100 years.

JM

Offline BrettMaximus

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: Friday 12 February 21 08:54 GMT (UK) »
Dear Tim,

Sincerely,

Mike

Hi Mike,

I take it that you are a cousin of Karola yes? Karola sent me a copy of the book some years ago.

Here it is photographed today.

Brett Wilson

Offline TTLovesKwi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Californian
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: Friday 12 February 21 15:52 GMT (UK) »
To All on this post. 

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my inquires.  I appreciate it. 

I'm in California.  Sadly, I've never been to Scotland although I hope to rectify that some day. 

To answer at least a few of the questions.

1. I assumed that our family's framed copy of the family tree was both an original and must have been brought over to the US when my Great Grandfather emigrated here in 1907.  Clearly that assumption was wrong.  However, I still cling to the belief that it has been in my family's possession since I was a child and loved looking at it at my Grandparents house (since at least the 1960s).  But that contradicts what has been stated here.  Quantumleap777 said that his Aunt Cynthia marked it. And I also saw an entry from Brettmaximus where he states he marked it.  Any further insight into who did what, and when was it done would be appreciated.

2. Which leads to the question: how did our branch of the family here in California end up with a copy? And when?

2. Brett was kind of enough to post images of Walter Wilson.  Thank you for that.  Again, I need to reconcile the dates that he presented with the dates I have from the tree and from the Scotlandpeoples website.

Again - thank you all.
Tim

Offline TTLovesKwi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Californian
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: Friday 12 February 21 16:31 GMT (UK) »
All,

Attached is the Wilson Family tree I sketched out of our lineage.  I've not updated it yet with data from this thread, but thought I'd share with you nonetheless. 

Any comments are more than welcome
Tim

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: Friday 12 February 21 21:05 GMT (UK) »
Here's a photo of the Wilson Family Tree that has been in California for approximately 100 years.

Tim,

That photo you uploaded .... did you take it? 

JM