Author Topic: Turnbull / Bonchesterbrige  (Read 27858 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Turnbull / Bonchesterbrige
« Reply #171 on: Saturday 20 February 21 11:14 GMT (UK) »
FH101 lesson 1

Victoria BDM civil registrations are as informative as Scotlands.   And like Scotlands,  Victoria's death registrations on family history details simply are NOT first hand, afterall the person of interest is The Deceased.   

So may I mention that EMW discusses the death certificate for Walter Wilson Elliot.  There is NO such certificate. 

There is, however, one for Walter WILSON, registered in the Australian state of Victoria in 1903. He was a widower, and likely the informant will be named on that official record.  It won't be the mother of his children, she died several years prior.  So the informant was likely one of his sons, giving answers to verbal questions posed by the funeral director, and jotted down in notes for later formally registering the death..   I do not see any issue with a grandson not knowing the maiden name of his grandmother.

There are also quite a number of obits, plus funeral and death notices freely available online via the National Library of Australia's TROVE website.  The ship of arrival is named therein. 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline BrettMaximus

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: Saturday 20 February 21 11:25 GMT (UK) »
Yes MAJM

Walter's funeral saw the town shut down in 1903, such was the esteem in which he was held.

This was from Trove I believe.

Please see the attached

Brett

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: Saturday 20 February 21 13:25 GMT (UK) »
The only possible Walter Wilson that is recorded on Scotland's People that fits in with Walter Wilson's life span is the one born in 1859 and he died at age 9.
Irrelevant.

There were six Walter Wilsons born in Scotland in 1859, seven years after Walter Wilson, son of Walter Wilson, cabinetmaker in Hawick and half-brother of Jessie Wilson or Hobkirk, arrived in Australia, and just one year before Walter Wilson, son of Walter Wilson, cabinetmaker in Hawick, married in Australia.

Not one of the six Walter Wilsons born in Scotland in 1859 can possibly shed any light at all on someone 35 or 36 years older than they are who had left Scotland seven years before they were born.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline E.M. Wilson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: Sunday 21 February 21 01:26 GMT (UK) »
“He was raised by his father Walter Wilson of Hawick, Cabinet Maker of Hawick (1798-1862), and then took on an apprenticeship in near by Selkirk as a young lad. “

No, he was not raised by his father Walter Wilson of Hawick, Cabinet-maker of Hawick and he did not live with either Walter Wilson, Sr. or Jr. in Hawick because he was not on the census in either 1841 or 1851.  See attached 1841 Census document. 

Offline E.M. Wilson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: Sunday 21 February 21 01:26 GMT (UK) »
“He was raised by his father Walter Wilson of Hawick, Cabinet Maker of Hawick (1798-1862), and then took on an apprenticeship in near by Selkirk as a young lad. “

No, he was not raised by his father Walter Wilson of Hawick, Cabinet-maker of Hawick and he did not live with either Walter Wilson, Sr. or Jr. in Hawick because he was not on the census in either 1841 or 1851.  See attached 1851 Census document. 

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: Sunday 21 February 21 01:36 GMT (UK) »
FH 101 lesson 2

When noting information found on UK 19th century census images, best to  remember they are only a snapshot of a household on one night in TEN years and are not giving information about the days, weeks, months or years in between.  They are only information transcribed by the enumerator about that one day. 

No, he was not raised by his father Walter Wilson of Hawick, Cabinet-maker of Hawick and he did not live with either Walter Wilson, Sr. or Jr. in Hawick because he was not on the census in either 1841.  See attached 1841 Census document. 

No, he was not raised by his father Walter Wilson of Hawick, Cabinet-maker of Hawick and he did not live with either Walter Wilson, Sr. or Jr. in Hawick because he was not on the census in either 1841 or 1851.  See attached 1851 Census document. 
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: Sunday 21 February 21 01:44 GMT (UK) »
The current time is 12.44 p.m. in  NSW Australia.  I wonder where EMW is located at this moment.

Offline E.M. Wilson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: Sunday 21 February 21 01:56 GMT (UK) »
1851 Census

Offline BrettMaximus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: Sunday 21 February 21 02:01 GMT (UK) »
In 1841, incorrectly recorded or transcribed as W.M (Walter) Wilson as the M has no place as his middle initial was B. Walter was in Selkirk with the Hume family at age 18 in 1841. Remember that he was born in 1823. 1841 - 1823 = Mmmm 18! The Humes were the family that he did his baking apprenticeship with. He was very close with the Hume family. Image attached for the 1841 Census

A Janet Brydon is also mentioned in this census record, but it is not the Janet Brydon that he married. This is another Janet Brydon. Though his sweetheart "Janet Brydon" that he later married, was already in the picture.

How do I know this? Ahhh.. Well in 1894, Walter wrote an article in Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia and sent it to the Southern Reporter newspaper in Scotland and it was published on April the 5th, 1894, which incidentally was also Walter's birthday. Copies of the Southern Reporter newspaper then made their way to even Australia.

In the attached snippet, it says I (Walter Wilson) went, as also my present wife (Janet Brydon) and an acquaintance of the same name .. (the other Janet Brydon recorded in the 1841 Census).

Yawn!

Brett

No, he was not raised by his father Walter Wilson of Hawick, Cabinet-maker of Hawick and he did not live with either Walter Wilson, Sr. or Jr. in Hawick because he was not on the census in either 1841.  See attached 1841 Census document.