Author Topic: Index of Marriages 1877 - 1880 (Ireland)  (Read 1138 times)

Offline Chilis

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Index of Marriages 1877 - 1880 (Ireland)
« on: Wednesday 18 January 06 19:37 GMT (UK) »
Is there anyone in a position to look at the Index (above) to see if there's a marriage of a Richard AUSTIN to Caroline DEVITT recorded in that time span?  At least they're at and towards the beginning of the alphabet .....

It takes weeks to get hold of an LDS film here and there's no other way to access.
Hopefully,
Chilis

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Index of Marriages 1877 - 1880 (Ireland)
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 January 06 23:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chilis- it's me again Heywood- I noticed this post and wondered as you have identified Richard as a possible ex-soldier - there might be armed forces records.  For help there is a board on Rootschat.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Chilis

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 January 06 09:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello again, Kath
Yes, I have been looking at a lot of the Armed Forces info.

By chance, I have just had an invitation from No.2 son in London to go to a Cirque du Soleil performance next week.  This will be a big expedition for me, so I have decided to take the opportunity and go to National Archives at Kew and try for Richard's service record.  I was trying to cover all angles before then.

I've also been looking at websites on Regiments/Militia/First Boer War, etc.
Absolutely fascinating.  I didn't realise these forces moved so readily around the world in the 19th century.

Thanks for watching progress. 
Chilis

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 January 06 17:21 GMT (UK) »
That's sounds lovely!! Yes you're right- these sites are educational besides self-indulgent!

Offline Chilis

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 January 06 20:16 GMT (UK) »
Before signalling that this request is COMPLETED, I want 'Heywood' to know that I now know what everyone means by 'serendipity'.

With over two hours to kill on arrival in London and before meeting up with my son, I decided that the best place to be was in a restaurant/bar at the Royal Albert Hall ready for the evening's performance of Cirque du Soleil.  I duly made my way by tube to South Kensington and took the underpass from the station following the signs for Royal Albert Hall.  As I emerged from the underpass, looking to see where I was, directly opposite me was the Church of the Latter Day Saints with a signboard ' Family History Centre'.

What a surprise!  I went in and as I was being greeted, spotted a cabinet in front of me labelled Ireland and Scotland with three files on top, one for the Indexes of Civil Registrations in Ireland!!!!

Imagine my delight to just walk in and be able to view the very film I would have had to wait weeks for (and at a price).  In the event, the marriage I was after wasn't even in the year range I expected (1877 - 1880).... I found the marriage took place in 1867 in Boyle.

So, I can now obtain a copy in order to establish Richard's occupation - was he in the Army/Militia at that stage?

Yesterday I then spent more than 5 hours at Kew trawling Army Pension records and Irish Militia Enrolment books in the hope of finding my man, to no avail.

However, I was amazed at the information in the Enrolment Books.  Goldmines.  I should have asked if they had been microfilmed.

I viewed books for 4th Battalion Irish Fusiliers, formerly Cavan Militia, Roscommon Militla, Carlow Light Infantry, Carlow Rifles, Sligo Enrolments, Limerick, Dublin City, etc.  most from 1855. 

At least, then, I have my piece of information on the marriage I reqested.
Chilis

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 27 January 06 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Chilis,
that is absolutely serendipitous!! I am so glad you are so much nearer - if you are able, please would you post Richard's occupation and their places of origin.
I'm really pleased.
Best wishes
Kath
ps and you got to watch Cirque du Soleil!