Author Topic: GARDNER on 1851 census Glasgow  (Read 1718 times)

Offline Sally P

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
GARDNER on 1851 census Glasgow
« on: Thursday 19 January 06 20:01 GMT (UK) »
I have just subscribed to the forum this evening & wondered if anyone with the 1851 Glasgow census index could help me out.

I am looking for a family called GARDNER/GARDINER
parents Robert & Elizabeth, plus known children - Grace born 1839 Glasgow & Elizabeth born 1842-1848 Glasgow.

Grace was baptised with the name GARDNER but young Elizabeth uses GARDINER on her marriage cert & children's birth certs. Not sure when she was born as census data 1881-1901, marriage age & death age do not match up. I am not able to find a birth for her on Scotlandspeople  :-[so hoping if I can find her on the 1851 census it will at least give me an area of Glasgow to concentrate on.

Regards
Sally P.

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: GARDNER on 1851 census Glasgow
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 January 06 00:01 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, I can find no trace of the family in the 1851 index either under Gardner or Gardiner.

There is only one family where the parents are named Robert & Elizabeth and the children do not fit at all.

There is no trace of Grace at all.

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 January 06 00:08 GMT (UK) »
There is a 1yr old Grace Gardner in the 1841 index with a (possible father) Robert but no Elizabeth (senior) ...

The family appears to consist of Alexander aged 80, Ann aged 60, Robert 30, Alexander 25, Ann 20, Christina 10 & Grace 1 - all living in the Albion area of Glasgow.

I don't know if any of this fits.

Offline Sally P

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 20 January 06 09:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for looking at both censuses Falkyrn, that was an addad bonus.

This family were sent to plague me. Apart from Grace's birth in 1839 & the parent's marriage in 1837 I have nothing on them. Scotlandspeople index has no death for Elizabeth (senior) with a maiden name FREELAND after 1855 so she may have died pre this date. When the OPR deaths come on line Albion may be the clue I need from the 1841.
Elizabeth (junior) I have from 1872 when she married through to her death but even she eludes me on the 1871 census, probably in Westmorland England where she had an illegitimate dau 2 weeks before the census day.

I have learnt never to disregard any information until I can prove it isn't mine so will be keeping the 1841 info safe.

Thanks again
Regards
Sally

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My reason for digging! Two nutkins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 20 January 06 21:09 GMT (UK) »
Sally,

I have the name Gardner/Gardiner in my tree. I have  seen the name spelt many ways but all the same family. My group were in Paisley.

These are mine to add to your list-

John Gardner and Anne Walker married July 1787 in Paisley, Renfrewshire. They had a daughter Ann Gardner bapt Feb 1799 in High Church, Paisley, Renfrewshire and died 1871 in Low Church Paisley. She married James CLelland Sept 1818 in High Church, Paisley. Ann Gardner Clelland had a daughter Janet in March 1823 in High Church and a Janet had a daughter Ann Gardner Andrews bapt 1845 in High Church.

Just some names to add to the mix.- Kristin
George William Burke.. my missing link!! son of Wm Burke & Mary Jane Stone/Morris
Shields & Milner- Patrington  & Bilton, Yorkshire<br />Nixon & Bowers - Appleby, Broughton & Messingham, Lincolnshire<br />Hancock &Tyson- Tetford, Skendleby & Spilsby, Lincolnshire<br />Cochrane- Darvel, Loudon, Ayrshire<br />Yuill, Hardie- Paisley, Renfrewshire<br />Kennedy, Gardener & Clelland- Glasgow, Lanarkshire & Paisley, Renfrewshire<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchive

Offline Sally P

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 20 January 06 21:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for those names Kristin. I may find a connection at some time in the future so have added them to the word doc on which I have the results of the 1841 from Falkyrn.

Regards
Sally

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 20 January 06 21:50 GMT (UK) »
I've also checked the 1851 index for Renfrewshire and Lanarkshire county areas with no success.

Offline Sally P

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 20 January 06 22:32 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Falkryn, looks like they must have moved out of Lanarkshire by the 1851.
Someone on a mailing list told another researcher today that Scotlandspeople are supposed to be putting the 1851 online this month (won't hold my breath) so if the indexing is good maybe they will turn up.

Thanks again for your help
Regards
Sally