Author Topic: 21David St, Blaengarw,Llangeinor  (Read 4607 times)

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
21David St, Blaengarw,Llangeinor
« on: Thursday 19 January 06 20:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi folks,

I wonder if anyone can cast some light on a little mystery here.

My Gran, Alice Kathleen Slade, was born at the above address on the 16th February 1896. What's puzzling about it is this - she was the first child of Henry Robert Slade and Elizabeth Mary Abbott, who had married the previous April. Both parents, and all the subsequent children, were born and brought up in Somerset - starting from North Perrott and then moving to Cothelstone.

Henry Robert was a gardener (not a coal miner!) and I can see no reason for their first child to be born where she was   ???

The first thought I had was that Gran's mother wanted to be with someone she trusted for the birth of her first child - perhaps a sister? But the families at that address in 1891 and 1901 are resolutely Welsh - no apparent Somerset connections at all.

Has anyone got any bright ideas about this?

All input gratefully received  ;D

Angela
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline sandra bills

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 21David St, Blaengarw,Llangeinor
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 March 06 16:57 BST (UK) »
sorry dont think I can help with your problem but my
grandmother lily edmunds was born in Blaengarw in the same year
I think. I havent got round to census yet as I am
busy lookintg up the Rogers side my grandfather from
Pontycymmer married Lily Edmunds. I have some
trracings of the Rogers but wondered if you have
a connection as I see that your listing is Rogers.
My connection is with Thomas John Rogers, his
father was Amos Rogers .
Sandra

Offline cardiff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 31 March 06 08:25 BST (UK) »
Just a thought  the area that your grandparents where from have you looked at the local gentry Some times wealthy people have fingers in other pies . If he was a gardener could he have been working for the same family in both places for a short time. i don't know anything about the area all the family was born but it's worth looking at it in that way.
There was a lot of mine owners in that area could they have had a new house built and with it a garden your gardener may have worked for a friend of the mine owner.
Only a thought.
cheers cardiff
All CensusTranscriptions are Crown Copyright

Read Wiltshire /Pontypridd
Dove Lincolnshire/Pontypridd/Cardiff
Barnhouse Cardiff/Pontypridd
Wilkes Shropshire/ Staffordshire/ Rhondda
Fletchers Staffordshire/ Glamorgan
Wright Somerset/ Glamorgan
Probert Cardigan/Rhondda/Shropshire
Jenkins Cardigan
Lewis Cardigan
Morgan Penderyn/Pontypridd
Stephens Penderyn
David Glamorgan
Whitby Forest Dean
Hughes Goodrich/Pontypridd
Jackson/Smith London /Kent/Glamorgan
Hughes Maesteg/Ynyshire

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 04 April 06 08:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarah and Cardiff

Thanks very much for your comments. Sorry to have taken so long to reply - I drowned in work  ::)

Sarah - I've had a look around my tree and haven't got a link with Thomas John or Amos Rogers so far. That doesn't mean I won't since quite a few of my Rogers lines ended up moving from their native Wiltshire to the mines in Glamorgan. I'll keep an eye out for yours and if you find any Rogers ancestors around Melksham, do let me know :)

cardiff - I hadn't thought about the gentry connection, although Henry Robert ovbiously worked for someone  ;D I'll check the Somerset end and see if the local bigwigs had mining connections. Thanks very much for that  :)

Regards and thanks

Angela
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline sandra bills

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 April 06 17:27 BST (UK) »
many thanks,
Sandra