Author Topic: Abernethy/Hoseason  (Read 9374 times)

Offline Susie C

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Abernethy/Hoseason
« on: Friday 20 January 06 21:16 GMT (UK) »
I am wondering if anyone has any  information on  James Abernethy (born 1861 Lerwick) who married a Jane Margaret Mary Hoseason (born 1855) in Lerwick in 1884. They moved to Glasgow sometime after 1885 and I am especially keen to know anything about their second daughter Catherine McLaren Abernethy whom I believe to be adopted.

Thanks

Sue Christie
Abernethy : Shetland
Fraser: Shetland
McCallum : Argyll
MacCalman: Argyll
Munro : Inverary
Sutherland: Elgin/ Fearn/Edinburgh/ Tillicoultry
Culbard : Elgin/ Edinburgh
Gibson: Ayrshire
Faddes: Ayrshire
McCormick: Ayrshire
Bruce : Aberdeenshire/Ayrshire
Kennedy : Aberdeenshire
Auld : Ayrshire
Morrison : Glasgow
Burton : Ireland
Collins : Stirlingshire
McLaren : Stirlingshire
Cargill : Angus
Coull : Angus
Anderson; Banff
Tocher: Banff
Sellars: Aberdeenshire
Mitchell : Aberdeen

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
  • Due to health issues can no longer look at graves.
    • View Profile
Re: Abernethy/Hoseason
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 January 06 21:42 GMT (UK) »
 :D   Hi:

Did you check the bayanne site?  Why do you think this person was adopted?

Perhaps such information would be shown on the birth registration or death regisration?  I'd go for the death lst on Scotlands.People myself.  There are about 18 pages of Abernethys on the Bayanne site.  I did not look at Hoseason.

I thought adoptions in Scotland were open information - not secret & restricted as in Canada & US??

Lauraine
Researching Smith from Shetland, Herd from Arboath, Whittier, Combs from England & Wales plus Albrecht (Albright), Carkner (Kirchner) & Syrnyk (Syrnick) from Prussia. Laurenson in South Africa

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 January 06 21:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi again:

Checked Jane Mary Margaret Hosean.  They had 5 children, lst child Mary Ann born in Shetland and others all born in Glascow.  The 2nd forename of McLean for Catherine suggests a Grandmother somewhere with that as a surname.  The same for the James Mitchell - which suggests a Mitchell.  Not always true, but quite often a grandmother's maiden surname is used.   Cheers

Lauraine
Researching Smith from Shetland, Herd from Arboath, Whittier, Combs from England & Wales plus Albrecht (Albright), Carkner (Kirchner) & Syrnyk (Syrnick) from Prussia. Laurenson in South Africa

Offline Susie C

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 20 January 06 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the replies

I think that Catherine McLaren Abernethy was my great grandmother. She was born in 1888 in Glasgow but lost both her parents (Alexander Abernthy and Martha McLaren Collins) before she was 10. I have searched for her on the 1901 census and the only Catherine Abernethy I could find in the same age range was Catherine Abernethy living in Crighton St  Glasgow with James and Jane Margaret Mary Abernethy. When I checked the Bayanne site I found her listed as a Catherine McLaren Abernethy aged 13 but listed as daughter. Can't imagine that there would be two of them?
I think (but it really is all supposition!) that when Alexander and Martha died she went to live with this family. When I checked to see if James and Jane had a Catherine born to them in 1888, they did...but she died aged 3 in 1891. Although Alexander's family were orginally from Shetland I can't seem to find a link between James Abernethy's family and his. I'm sure there must be a link (just seems like too mcuh a coincidence) and I'm beginning to think that I have something wrong somewhere in Alexander's ancestry?
I hoped someone out there might be researching the same line and I could try to solve this mystery!

Maybe I'll never know?

Thanks again
Anderson; Banff

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 20 January 06 22:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi:

There is some sort of relationship between the two Abernethys - just not sure what.  I worked backwards on Bayanne and could see similar names.  If you have a family tree program, would put them in and then do a "relationship" run.  This family runs back to very early times on the Hosean name and patrynomic names - aren't you lucky!  Name was original Hosea on the female side becoming Hoseason.

I found an Alexander Abernethy shown on the Bayanne site.  In the 1881 census he was living at 19 Killearn Terrace, Glascow.  Think he was also shown in 1871 census living in Shetland. 

Have you tried Scotlands.People?  Go after the birth & death registrations for Alexander's daughter.   It only costs 6 pounds for 30 credits and you can download or print out anything pertinent you find.  If you download, be sure to rename the file or it will be overwritten next download (learned that the hard way). 

If this girl's father is  the same Alexander, you may wish to notify Tony Gott of the Bayanne site of the death information.

Lauraine

Offline Susie C

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 21 January 06 19:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Lauraine, I have used the Scotland's people website and have got a birth and death (and marriage!) certificate for Alexander and  for Catherine Abernethy. I do think I probably have the same individual and think I will email Tony to let him know of my findings. He has her married to a John McNichol and I know that this definitely wasn't the case if it is my Catherine. In fact I did try Scotlands people and unless Catherine married later than 1930 there is no record of any marriage between a Catherine Abernethy and a John McNichol.
I also have quite a bit on Alexander's family (Scott Abernethy and Barbara Fraser were his parents)
Thanks for the info on the Hoseason family. I will try inputting into my tree and seeing if there is any connection! I am so sure there must be! 

The plot really does thicken!

Sue
Anderson; Banff

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 21 January 06 22:26 GMT (UK) »
Sue, can you let us know how you make out sorting out the Hosea & Hoseasons??  Am quite curious as the the family seemed such a good example of the use of patrynomic names.

Lauraine

Offline cjthorpe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 24 January 07 22:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I'm also chasing Hoseason relatives.
Our branch immigrated to Australia in 1922. My Gt Grandfather Henry Hoseason (Snr) was a tentmaker with Speedings Ltd in Sunderland. He also hired his father and a brother into the company (who stayed until retirement).
The bayanne site has been great for chasing Hoseasons backwards - very comprehensive. There was also a lady called Joan Hoseason in the UK who did a great deal of Hoseason research about 30 years ago - but I heard she passed away. 
Cheers CJThorpe
Australia  :D

Started by looking for a missing gt Uncle Henry Hoseason in Australia. Surnames: Hoseason, Major, Nesfield, Lovatt, Meldrum, Hedley, Thorpe, Poynton, Shipley, Le Lievre, Sinclair, Hardy, Mordey, Flight.