Author Topic: Old Cross Inn, Ammanford-1841c/History  (Read 20207 times)

Offline gw-r

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Old Cross Inn, Ammanford-1841c/History
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 16:11 GMT (UK) »
Happy New Year to you also,

I do not think that Elizabeth Emmanuel, one of your ancestors, can be the same Elizabeth Emanuel, my great grandmother, whose maiden name I do not know. She was born in Llangennech circa 1835 and entered service with the Emanuel family at Wernddu Farm, Ammanford. Whilst working on the farm she lost an arm in a threshing machine.

She married David Emanuel (11 years her junior) and at the time it was remarked "what is David marrying Elizabeth for as she will be no use as a farmer's wife?" Subsequently, David and Elizabeth opened a Grocer's shop in Wind Street adjacent to the "old" New Inn with its thatched roof opposite the location of the Cross Inn Hotel (see photo below). They had four daughters that survived childbirth; Anne, Mary, Rachel and Lizzie - all of whom were educated at Abbey House, a private school in Llandeilo. David Emanuel  committed suicide in 1898. Elizabeth, was a very shrewd and successful business woman  and continued to run the shop, despite the fact that she could neither read nor write. Her daughters entered the daily transactions when they returned from school!

Her eldest daughter Lizzie married Joseph Phillips, a tinplate worker from Pantyfynnon and a prominent rugby player and cricketer in Ammanford. On Elizabeth's retirement to a house she built in College Street. Joseph Phillips was responsible for developing the Lloyds Bank Block in Quay Street (see recent photograph below); one unit of which became his delicatessant shop whilst Mary Emanuel (his sister-in-law) ran Emanuel's ladies outfitters next door.

The third photograph shows Elizabth Emanuel at her house in College Street surrounded by her family. Her "lost" left arm is concealed by her shawl.  Joe Phillips is the one with a moustache and Mary Emanuel is next to him on the right. Others in the photograph are Ivor Elias (my grandfather) and Rachel (his wife), Anne Phillips and Ivor Elias and Phyllis Elias (my mother)

Offline Cadell

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 15 May 10 02:59 BST (UK) »
StephEv -
Greetings!
I am also decended from Mr Evan Evans!
Do you know any more details of family connections?  It would be great to compare notes!  I have an extensive family tree in excel format, if you'd like to take a look?
Yours,
Cadell ab Arawn

Offline bigmagicdog

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 09 May 11 14:33 BST (UK) »
An update on The Od Cross

It did close as recorded in an earlier post and has now re-opened under the leadership of theowners of the Baird (now known as The Square) and run as a carvery.
The Square closed last week as the owners of the property and also owned a few others went into liquidation. The current tenant who also runs the Old cross moved all he could from th Square to th Old Cross. I understand that he has lost his deposit and all the cash he spent on refurbishment o I do not blame him for taking everything that was not "screwed down"
ANDREWS from Pitney, Martock, and surrounding area of Somerset.
ANDREWS from Hartlepool, Co Durham and surrounding districts.
Family Tree is on web site:  http://daveandrews.tribalpages.com/

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 04 October 11 19:50 BST (UK) »
I do not think that Elizabeth Emmanuel, one of your ancestors, can be the same Elizabeth Emanuel, my great grandmother, whose maiden name I do not know. She was born in Llangennech circa 1835 and entered service with the Emanuel family at Wernddu Farm, Ammanford. Whilst working on the farm she lost an arm in a threshing machine.

She married David Emanuel (11 years her junior)

There are possibilities for the marriage in Llandilofawr and Llanelli districts, on freebmd. Also if you purchase a birth certificate for one of the children, it will give Elizabeth's maiden name. For example, Lizzie Emanuel birth in 1874 (March quarter)
Llanelly volume 11a page 790

Kind Regards
Morgan