Author Topic: CHAPMANS of Buckinghamshire  (Read 6456 times)

Offline tikki_nik2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
CHAPMANS of Buckinghamshire
« on: Saturday 21 January 06 13:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I have got stuck with my research of my Chapman line from Buckinghamshire. My family come from Ellesborough; George Chapman and Emma (nee Garnett) lived in the village between 1871 & 1901.

George was born in 1842 to James Chapman and Charlotte (nee Law). This family lived in Wendover in 1851 & 1861. There was also a daughter Sarah Ann b.1849, who later married a John Joseph Buggey.

James was born in Aston Clinton in 1803 and died in 1877 Charlotte was born in 1806 in Tring, Herts.  I can not find marriage or birth details for either of these relatives and do not have acess to the 1841 census either.

Please let me know if you can help.

Many thanks

Nikki
Bucks - Chapman, Garnett, Munday, Smith, Hains, Field, Mayo, Glassington
Cambs - Turner, Alsop
London/Surrey/Middlesex - Floden, Sheppard, Parsons, Luckett, Smith, Martyn, March
Liecs - Winterton, Kirby, Harrison, Measures, Lowe, Smith, Warden, Oldham, Church
Northumberland - Back, Archbold, Elliot, Gibson, Thompson
Herts - March, Law, Adkins, Cooke, Grant
Sussex - Young, Saunders, Hayward, Bollard

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
Re: Chapman's of Buckinghamshire
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 January 06 14:27 GMT (UK) »
It seems likely that they were married before 1837.  Where and when was their eldest child born according to the 1851 census?  I think you need to post a look up for their marriage on the appropriate board which may well be Herts if she was born in Tring.
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tikki_nik2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 January 06 14:48 GMT (UK) »
I am not sure if there were any elder children but my great great grandfather George was born 29th April 1842 at Wendover. That info is from his birth certificate. The 1851 census record is:

James, 38, b.Aston Clinton, Bucks, Ag Lab
Charlotte, 45, b. Tring, Herts
George, 9, b.Wendover, Bucks, Lab
Sarah Ann, 2, b. Wendvover, Bucks
living at Hale Wood, Wendover, Bucks

Regards

Nikki
Cambs - Turner, Alsop
London/Surrey/Middlesex - Floden, Sheppard, Parsons, Luckett, Smith, Martyn, March
Liecs - Winterton, Kirby, Harrison, Measures, Lowe, Smith, Warden, Oldham, Church

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 January 06 16:15 GMT (UK) »
One thought.

With Charlotte being older than James she may have been married previously.  Thus she may have been married with the surname from her previous marriage.

There is a marriage of a James Chapman in 1841 (Hertford 6 884) probably to Charlotte Christopher (sorry I forgot the month)

The 1841 census could help with this as it might show any children.
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor

Offline tikki_nik2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 January 06 16:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Yes I had that marriage on my records before but got rid of it when I got hold of George's birth certificate that said Law on it. I hadn't thought of that option though that maybe Law was her maiden name and Christopher the name of a first marriage.

Thank you I'll look into it.

Regards

Nikki
Cambs - Turner, Alsop

Offline tikki_nik2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 21 January 06 22:21 GMT (UK) »
Ok...the plot thickens. I just checked the 1841 census and James and Charlotte seem to be living in Bucks still at this time.

First of all I made an error with the 1851 census and James was actually 48 not 38.

1841 census:
James Chapman 35 - Ag. Lab
Charlotte 30
William 10
Joseph 1
Living in York Cottages, Wendover

Of course as its 1841 these ages are rounded up/down. I am sure this must be the same couple as this is also the same place that James and Charlotte lived in in 1861 with their children George and Sarah Ann.

Also I have found christenings on the IGI for the following:
George Chapman, son of James Chapman & Charlotte, 5 June 1842, Wendover
Joseph Chapman, son of James Chapman & Charlotte, 5 June 1842, Wendover
William Chapman, son of James Chapman & Charlotte, 1 Mar 1868, Wendover

It doesn't help me with tracking the marriage down though!
Cambs - Turner, Alsop

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 21 January 06 22:40 GMT (UK) »
If you check the 1881 census you will find that son William is still living in York Cottages with his wife Elizabeth.  This looks like a pretty stable family

Offline tikki_nik2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 21 January 06 22:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your help. I am suprised as I have been told by a cousin that someone had tracked down a registered barstard birth and that one ancestor was a journey man and the family were 'pushed over the border'. I have found no evidence of this though apart from the fact that from 1851 onwards the mother's birth location is given as Tring, Herts.
Cambs - Turner, Alsop

Offline danjac

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 21 July 07 11:30 BST (UK) »
hello,
i have just joined rootschat and i too am researching a chapman line from bucks.

i have WILLIAM CHAPMAN born 1779 in MENTMORE to THOMAS CHAPMAN and JANE ?
he married FRANCES HUTCHINS in 1800 -in mentmore- and had sarah 1803/4; susannah 1811 and john 1811

if anyone can confirm any of this and maybe even add to it would be really good! i am willing to share what little info i have

thank you very much
linda