Author Topic: Cornhills of Faversham  (Read 5679 times)

Offline wdurham

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Cornhills of Faversham
« on: Saturday 21 January 06 17:54 GMT (UK) »
I have an odd problem, involving Kent people who "strayed" to Berkshire and then seemingly came back again.

In 1851 William Cornhill b approx 1826, married to Ann Fowler, was a baker in Oare Street, Oare in Kent. His father was William Cornhill. (He is my gggg-grandfather). In 1851, he had 3 children, William Jnr, Frederick and Eleanor. In later years he sired many, many more!!

In 1851 Joseph Cornhill b approx 1826, married to Sarah, was a baker in Seasalter, Whitstable in Kent. His father was probably also William Cornhill, although this is not confirmed. He has two children by 1851, Joseph and Adelaide.

Both were born in Wokingham, Berkshire. Neither of them appear in the 1841 census in any available county. (I subscribe to The Genealogist, British Origins, Ancestry and Stepping Stones)

In 1851, Thomas Cornhill b 1793 in Faversham was a labourer in Oare Street, Oare. His wife was Susannah.  They had children including another William, Mary, Susannah, all born in Sheerness, and Thomas born in Oare. Thomas was the only one still at home in 1851. Susannah had married William Honess prior to 1841.

In 1847, my gggg-grandfather William Cornhill the baker married Ann Fowler in Oare, and his witness at his wedding was Susannah Honess, the daughter of Thomas and Susannah Cornhill of Oare. His father was given as William Cornhill deceased. The indication is that Susannah was his cousin.

In 1840 a William Cornhill (perhaps Wm Cornhill Snr) died in Faversham. (Certificate sent for)

In 1843  a Martha Cornhill, born about 1805 in Wokingham, married William Baker in Faversham. (Certificate sent for). I suspect this is the widowed mother of William and Joseph - the marriage cert should give her maiden name as well as confirming that she was a widow.

However, in the 1841 census, like her two putative sons, Martha Cornhill does not appear in any available county.

In Wokingham, a Richard Cornhill died in 1840 (Certificate sent for).

So we have a story - perhaps - about a Cornhill family in the Faversham region. Two sons were born, Thomas and William. Thomas stayed at home whilst William went off roaming, ending up in Wokingham, Berks, where he probably married a Martha. They had at least two children, William and Joseph, and may have had two daughters named Elizabeth and Adelaide. They could aslo have had a son named Richard. There are no established Cornhill families in Berkshire at all.

Adelaide and Elizabeth Cornhill were both born in Wokingham, in about 1830 and 1834 respectively, and appear to have remained in Berkshire.

In 1841 an Elizabeth Cornhill is in the Wokingham Union Workhouse aged 6. In 1851 she is a prisoner in Reading Gaol. By 1861 she is working as a servant in Coulsdon, Surrey.

In 1851 Adelaide is working as a servant in Mistley, Berks. She does not appear in the 1841 census.

So if William Cornhill who died in Faversham in 1840  is William Cornhill Snr, then where were his widow and his two sons (Joseph and William) and possibly a daughter (Adelaide)  in 1841? They all appear in 1851, but in 1841 there is no sign of them at all. I have tried every possible combination of names and dates - and have even gone to the extent of looking them up by first name alone.

Does anyone who might also be researching Cornhills have any ideas?

Willson & Pell in Faversham, Egerton, Folkestone in Kent
Cornhill in Kent, Devon and Wokingham, Berks
Cadmans & Kings in Isleham, Cambs
Swan, Gregory, Smith & Mingay in the Burrough Green/Westley area of Cambs
Armstrong & Chandler in Bedford
Abbott/Abbit in Witham, Essex
Davies/Davis in Islington & Hackney

Offline susie956

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Cornhills of Faversham
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 January 06 05:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi wdurham,

sorry had the same problem as you could not find your cornhills.
I did find Thomas Cornhill with wife Susannah in Ore Street and a few more children. If you are interested in them I can post it for you.
I could not find Whitstable on my list so did not know what number to look up.
Sorry I could not help more.

Regards
Sue.
researching Bateup & Butchers from Mountfield, Sussex & Horsemonden, Kent.
Census Information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 January 06 05:38 GMT (UK) »
I don't know if it will help to know that the 1841 census returns for Whitstable/Seasalter don't survive :(

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wdurham

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 January 06 08:02 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks, Susie -

I have found Thomas and Susanna from 1841 onwards, plus a couple of Cornhills left behind in Wokingham. I can also find Joseph, William and Martha from 1851 onwards.

Of the two Wokingham-born brothers, William Jnr married Ann Fowler in 1847 in Oare Street, with Thomas's daughter as his witness. He states Oare as his residence.

However, Joseph's marriage to Sarah Edener (Edenden), also in 1847, is registered in Blean, which is where Seasalter and Whitstable register. I don't have the certificate to obtain his residence, but I have a "cousin" who does, so will check.

The only likely deaths for William Cornhill Snr are registered in Faversham in 1840 and 1843.

The marriage of Martha Cornhill (born Wokingham 1805) to William Baker is registered in Faversham in 1843. Her date and place of birth strongly suggest she was the wife of William Snr and mother of William Jnr and Joseph.

So were they in Faversham or Blean in 1841? Its anyone's guess.

Casalguidi -

Thanks for that information - I wasn't aware of it and it explains a lot. 

The balance of probability seems to favour them being in Faversham, but IF the family were in Whitstable/Seasalter at the time of the 1841 census, then I guess I shall just have to give up.  :(

Best regards
Wendy

Offline lady hendon

• I have turned off all notifications to my topics
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 31 March 06 14:45 BST (UK) »
Hi.
My GGG Grandparents were William Honess & Susannah Cornhill. I can give you
more info about them & their family etc. if it would be of interest to you

Alison
Ward,Hendon,Winder in Kent
Lamerton in London/Hampshire
Stacey in Cornwall

Offline wdurham

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 01 April 06 12:01 BST (UK) »
Alison - anything you can tell me would be very gratefully received!

There are two Cornhill families involved -

1. Thomas and his wife Susanna, and their children, of whom Susanna Honess is one. Thomas and his family were all born in the Oare/Faversham/Sheerness regions of Kent.

2. William Cornhill Snr and his possible wife Martha, and their probable sons William Jnr and Joseph. Martha, William Jnr and Joseph were all born in Wokingham. There is no evidence that Joseph and William were brothers, but it seems likely, as they both ended up as bakers in Kent.

Other Cornhills born in Wokingham are Richard, who died in 1840 aged 7 months - son of Joseph Cornhill, soldier; Elizabeth, who was in the workhouse ostensibly alone aged 6 in 1841; and Adelaide born about 1830 - these children may or may not be related. Although Joseph named one of his daughters Adelaide, so there may be a link. They are the only Cornhills in Berkshire during the period concerned. I think I may have found both girls' marriages - which might lead me to the name of their father.

A William Cornhill, soldier, died of kidney disease  in Flood Lane, Faversham in 1840 aged 43, with William Cornhill of Preston by Faversham present at his death.

I SUSPECT but cannot prove that William Snr (b about 1797) and Thomas (b about 1793) were brothers. There is clearly a relationship between the families - Susanna Honess was witness at the weddings of both William Jnr and his possible mother Martha.

I have found two more Cornhills roughly contemporary with Thomas and William:

1. James, born about 1807 in Oare. Married Sarah Clarke of Faversham 1828 in Faversham. He moved about a lot - children born successively in Faversham, Fordington (Dorset) and Poplar ( Essex.) James died between 1861 and 1871, Sarah then moved in with married daughter Rebecca Flinn in Grays.

2. Mary Cornhill:
Christening:  21 NOV 1790      Faversham, Kent, England   
Parents:      Father:     William Cornhill    
                   Mother:          Elizabeth    

And in the 1841 census, we find William aged 75 and Dorcas aged 55 CORNWILL - West St Faversham - both born in county.  Dorcas died in qe Mar 1844, registered as Cornhill, not Cornwill. The 20 year age difference probably means Dorcas is a second wife.  Hence this William Cornhill could easily have been the father of Mary above, by his first wife Elizabeth. And if he was father of Mary, was he also father of Thomas and William Snr, and perhaps even James?

All quite complicated, and made worse by the lack of any entries for William, Joseph and Martha in 1841.

Anything you can tell me  will be very welcome. I often feel I am going round in circles with this lot!

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 01 April 06 12:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Wdurham

I don't know if you have noticed this reference for an army discharge document at the National Archives, Kew, London

WO 97/288/54 WILLIAM CORNHILL Born FEVERSHAM, Kent Served in 7th Foot Regiment Discharged aged 42 1817-1839 (1839 would be the year of discharge)

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/search.asp
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=14

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wdurham

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 01 April 06 12:36 BST (UK) »
Casalguidi - you are a star!

That is almost certainly my William - who died the year after his discharge aged 43. His kidney disease may even have been the reason for his discharge.

Now to find out whether the 7th Foot were ever billeted in Wokingham....

Offline lady hendon

• I have turned off all notifications to my topics
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 01 April 06 12:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all the info. I'll have to get the Cornhill/Honess line info. from
my mother next time i see her. I do know that susanna's daughter was Emma
Honess B. 1854 & married Stephen Ward in 1876 in Faversham All their
children were born in 'The Coal Exchange' Quay Rd. Between 1876 & 1895.

Anyway best get in touch with mum & as soon as i get the info will post onto you.

Alison
Ward,Hendon,Winder in Kent
Lamerton in London/Hampshire
Stacey in Cornwall