Author Topic: John Corlett of Andreas  (Read 10201 times)

Offline Blue-Sten

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
John Corlett of Andreas
« on: Saturday 21 January 06 21:10 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help me figure this out or find me the missing pieces?

I have managed to trace my family through an Isabella Morrison of Maughold. She was born in 1847 (14 Feb i think) to a Thomas and Jane Morrison.  I have found her on the 1851 Census, living with family in Maughold (HO107/2524); on the 1861 Census living with family in Ballasayle, Maughold (RG9/4425) and on the 1871 Census with family again in Ballaskeig, Maughold (RG10/5773).

Sometime between the next Censuses, she appears to have married a John Corlett of Andreas.  I have found a couple to this description on RG11/5599 (1881 Census) in Ballavarry, Andreas. They have two children, John aged 4 and Catherine aged 1.  Presumably these are the right people as tthey feature again in 1891 - this time in Conchan at a place called Glencrutchery Cottage (RG12/46686):

John Corlett             Head      50        Agricultural Labourer     b Andreas
Isabella Morrison Corlett  wife    41                                         b Rushen (*)
Kate                          Daug     11                                              b Conchan
John                          Son        15                                             b Conchan
Ellen Jane                 Daug      6                                               b Douglas

Confusingly all Censuses have different places of birth, and not knowing Isle of Man, I do not know why.

I am basically wanting to find out more about John Corlett - where was he in 1871? who were his parents?

If I can find this out, I cantrace his side back further.

Can anyone PLEASE help???

;D

Offline rcorris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: John Corlett of Andreas
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 January 06 00:39 GMT (UK) »
Your best bet would be to get a copy of the marriage entry from the LDS microfilm of John Corlett and Isabella Morrison's marriage

(from www.familysearch.org = IGI)
ISABELLA MORRISON
JOHN CORLETT
Marriage:  26 JUN 1875   Maughold, Isle Of Man
Husband Age at Marriage:  38   (est birth 1837)
Wife Age at Marriage:  27   (est birth 1848)
(Batch No: M038171, Film No:0106183)

This will give you both John and Isabella's father's name (can confirm it is your Isabella and get a lead on John).  Once you have his father's name I would be happy to do a look-up in the 1871 census.

In regards to the birth places given in the 1881/1891/1901 censuses I would suggest that the enumerator (or the person writing on John & Isabella's forms, if they couldn't write themselves) got it wrong.  1881 information matches 1901 information and the places given in 1891 are at the other end of the island (see map of parishes at http://www.isle-of-man.com/interests/genealogy/).  FYI - Conchan is now known as Onchan

Below is the family in 1901 (in case you don't have that already)

RG13/5302, District 3a, Folio 114, Page 9, Schedule 50
Onchan/Braddan, Glencrutchery
Isabella Corlett, Head, Wid, 54, Charwoman,  Maughold, Isle of Man
Katie Corlett, Daur, Single, 21, Parlour maid, Jurby, Isle of Man
Ellen Corlett, Daur, Single, 16, House maid, Jurby, Isle of Man

Also two of the children are in the registered births index on Brian Lawson's site (www.lawsons.ca) as born in Andreas
CORLETT, Catherine  1 Jan 1880  N  And  112  CORLETT, John  MORRISON, Isabella
CORLETT, Ellen Jane  23 Nov 1884  N  And  429  CORLETT, John  MORRISON, Isabella
Bouncing emails

England: Green, Povey, Bedford, Bridgland, Catlin, Patton
Scotland: Fraser, Kennedy, Kelly, Hean, Higgins
Isle of Man: Corris, Faragher, Corkill, Shimmin

Offline Blue-Sten

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 January 06 14:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all the info - do you know how I can get a copy of their wedding certificate?

Who can i write to?

Offline rcorris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 January 06 00:03 GMT (UK) »
I think that the IOM general registry is able to provide these (see http://www.gov.im/registries/general/civilregistry/welcome.xml  for contact details) since this was after compulsory registration (began 1849 in IOM for marriage, 1878 for births).  I have found dealing with them a bit tricky not being from the UK as they only accept cheques in pounds sterling and I haven't had great response times to my queries.

Alternatively you might want to find your local Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints (often referred to simply as LDS or the Mormon's) Family History Centre.  See http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHC/frameset_fhc.asp to locate your nearest centre.  Here they will be able to provide access to microfilm of the parish registers for the IOM up to about 1883.  The film reference I gave in my previous posting (Film No:0106183) is the one you want to request to see John and Isabella's marriage entry.  The information on the microfilm will be the exact same information the IOM registry would provide you.  Here in Australia it costs about $5.50 (US$4, 2 UKpounds) to request a microfilm.

I would advise, if you intend to pursue your IOM links that you go for the LDS option.  The best strategy is to search the IGI (http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/frameset_search.asp?PAGE=igi/search_IGI.asp&clear_form=true) for likely entries (eg baptisms for your people and their siblings, marriages for their parents) and note down the source details (you will see a Batch No and a Source No for entries that are taken from the parish registers - in general these are the only entries you should trust except see www.manxnotebook.com/famhist/genealgy/igibatch.htm  for exceptions to this rule).  Source nos = LDS film nos.

Have a look at the following sites for more information, links, sources, suggestions etc on researching IOM genealogy:

www.lawsons.ca (transcriptions and information)
www.manxnotebook.com (transcriptions, history, information)
http://www.isle-of-man.com/cgi-bin/interests/genealogy/bulletin/index.pl?noframes;#505622 (message board, very active)

Good luck with your searching.

Cheers,
Ruth
Bouncing emails

England: Green, Povey, Bedford, Bridgland, Catlin, Patton
Scotland: Fraser, Kennedy, Kelly, Hean, Higgins
Isle of Man: Corris, Faragher, Corkill, Shimmin

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 August 07 07:14 BST (UK) »
hi just come back from iom researching corletts. there were innumerable corletts in ballaugh old and new (1834) churchyard and a lot in andreas. then they moved over to lezayre. i will look in my notes for some history of them for you. the corletts mentioned had stones and donated a lot of money to the various churches . my husband is related to stephan corlett. you would need aweek to take the names down off the stones there were so many of them . the earliest corlett that we have in our family was recorded there in iom . 1100.
valentine.fairhurst,hayes,hammond,codling,rust.norfolk.deyrujo.jutsum.wharton.lacey,probert,prickett,preby atherley-jones.clifton ..london /china. judd, eubank , dixon , hine , airey ,park .twentyman , dampier , jones in suffolk , limby , derrick , stockwell..

Offline Blue-Sten

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 August 07 13:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for this.

I did gain a copy of the marriage cert for their fathers names but it did not state these.

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 25 August 07 00:13 BST (UK) »
Civil Marriage regn started 1877 not 1849 (tho the law changed that yr to allow marriage in some registered non CofE chapels in addition to the CofE churches) - thus the IoM Gen Registry will generally offer you a certified copy of their 1911 transcript of the parish regs - all this info is on Mormon microfilm anyway (see www.manxnotebook.com under genealogy).
You might find it worthwhile to post on http://www.isle-of-man.com/cgi-bin/interests/genealogy/bulletin/index.pl?noframes as there are a couple of active Corlett researchers there (as well as Andreas researchers)
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 August 07 10:42 BST (UK) »
hi looking at some photos . i have john Corlett from B.giving Ballaugh church in 1885    ... 20 pound .
unfortunately the name of place he comes from  is too small to read ... i will get magnifying glass out . But there would be that many John corletts it probably means nothing . the Corletts gave the land to the New Church in Ballaugh . Ballaugh with a car is about 20 minutes away from Andreas. some of our Corletts married in Andreas. some of our corlett names are
Christian ,curle,lawson .teare and lace . any of these intermarry into your names ??? Jan
valentine.fairhurst,hayes,hammond,codling,rust.norfolk.deyrujo.jutsum.wharton.lacey,probert,prickett,preby atherley-jones.clifton ..london /china. judd, eubank , dixon , hine , airey ,park .twentyman , dampier , jones in suffolk , limby , derrick , stockwell..

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 27 August 07 10:58 BST (UK) »
Corletts were very common in Ballaugh - marriages were usually in parish of wife  - if you have Lawsons in your Manx tree then try www.lawsons.ca
any thing with a Manx Connection