Author Topic: BIGG family  (Read 1887 times)

Offline corinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
BIGG family
« on: Sunday 19 September 04 07:00 BST (UK) »
Trying to find anything to link the family of Robert BIGG (who married Hannah OLIVER) of Bristol (with links to Devon and Somerset) to the family of Edward BIGG, solicitor of London.  Time period 1700's to early 1800's.

see also posting BIGG - lawyers

Offline Amy K

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Genealogy: Chasing your own tale!
    • View Profile
Re: BIGG family
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 December 04 23:58 GMT (UK) »
There is the will of a Robert BIGG of Bristol 1819, online at,

http://www.documentsonline.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details-result.asp?Edoc_Id=241942&queryType=1&resultcount=4

could this be your Robert?
Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline corinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 December 04 21:01 GMT (UK) »
Yes, that is my Robert and I have a copy of the will.  My problem is that I can get all his descendants, and I can also get all the descendants of Edward BIGG who was a solicitor in London at about the same time.  I know that the two are related as people from one family refer to people in the other as "cousins", but I haven't been able to find anything that proves a link between the two families - and I know that sometimes "cousin" can mean second or third cousins.  I guess I'd like to know Robert and Edwards parents, or some information that links the two law practices, or some other names of potential siblings or cousins of these two where I could check wills for other family members that might be in common.

Offline shafeeq

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 January 05 07:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Corinne,
I have BIGG and OLIVER connections in my tree.
The main link is my 3GGrandfather Francis William BOWZER who was proprietor of an ironworks at Hirwaun, Glam. His partner was a Mr Lionel
ErrorSPAM
REPORT THIS POST AS SPAM (Use 'Report to Moderator'). DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS IN THIS POST. DO NOT REPLY TO THIS PERSON.
][/color]
ErrorSPAM
REPORT THIS POST AS SPAM (Use 'Report to Moderator'). DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS IN THIS POST. DO NOT REPLY TO THIS PERSON.
][/color]
ErrorSPAM
][/color]
ErrorSPAM
][/color]
ErrorSPAM
][/color] OLIVER, who was married to his wife's sister, Elizabeth ELLIOTT. Her father was Philip ELLIOTT, who was a burgess of Bristol.
The iron business went bankrupt and was auctioned in 1813. The sale notice says "To be viewed, and particulars had on application to Mr Bowzer, at the Works. particulars also at Messrs. Deaney(?), Le Blanc and Shaws(?), New Bridge street, London; at the principal inns at Merthyr, Swansea, Neath, Cardiff, Newport and Gloucester; of Mr Robert Bigg, solicitor, Bristol;" ... etc
Francis BOWZER's father then advanced him 4,000 pounds to buy in to a sugar refining business with Mr BIGG and Mr Henry SAVERY.
Then this from The Times, referring to the bankruptcy of Mr Henry SAVERY (who was also married to, Lionel OLIVER's daughter Eliza Elliott OLIVER)
In 1817 he was in the business of sugar refining (or baking) with a partner Mr Bigg. In 1819 he was declared bankrupt. The Times of 1 September 1819 says "H.Savery Bristol sugar refiner Sept 13,14 Oct 12 at the Commercial Rooms, Bristol, solicitor (petitioner) Mr Bigg, Southampton Buildings, Chancery Lane". The Bigg & Savery sugarhouse was in Bridewell Lane in Bristol.
Seems Francis wasn't very lucky with his business choices.
Probably none of that actually helps you much, but it is maybe interesting background.
Cheers,
Shafeeq

Offline Roger Griffiths

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 January 05 12:35 GMT (UK) »
Just a shot in the dark, but Bigg is not a common name. I lived in Hedgerley, Bucks, 1958 to 1980. There was a retired headmaster(?) by name of Bigg living there.

Roger
Griffiths Forest of Dean 19th Century
Griffiths Mitcheltroy, Mon. 18th century

Offline corinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 12 January 05 22:20 GMT (UK) »
Shafeeq, thanks a heap!  This is information I didn't already have and somehow I am sure it will be most useful.  Lionel OLIVER definitely fits as a relative of Hannah OLIVER (probably brother, but will have to check dates to see which generation as I think there is more than one Lionel), and I already had some ELLIOTs linked as well as having come across the SAVERY name.  As I have already had a lot of valuable family information from business records, I will definitely pursue this. 

Roger, thanks also for your informtion.