Author Topic: Merchant Navy Records  (Read 2702 times)

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
Re: Merchant Navy Records
« Reply #9 on: Monday 20 September 04 21:18 BST (UK) »
Honeybun, you're a star thanks for all this.  I've got a couple of angles to follow most coming from this grave...

In Memory of James Scott who died at Torduff 4th July 1834 age 67 Also Dorcas Bell spouse of James Scott Torduff who died 9th April 1819 age 52.  And Janet their daughter who died 6th August 1811 age 10 months.  Also George their son who was lost with the crew of the Brig Village of Newcastle on Cromar Sands, Norfolk 31st October 1823 age 25 years and Jane their daughter who died at Annan 21st November 1849 age 49.  And Christine daughter of John Scott of Annan who died 9th April 1823 age 10 months.  Also James his son who died at Bueonos Aires 19th May 1851 age 23 And the above named John Scott who died 17th April 1859 age 66 Also Robert Scott his son who died at Annan 21st December 1862 age 29

Besides the obvious 2 who died at sea, John Scott was a "Master Mariner" and Robert was a seaman's mate.  John married Helen Carruthers whose father Robert Carruthers and her uncle Francis Carruthers and her brother James Carruthers were all "Master Seaman".  I have some info on the ships they captained out of both Annan and Carlisle.

Even if I can get a feel for the records I'll be pleased.  I've always wanted to see teh gardens at Kew so I won't be too disappointed if I don't find them

Thanks again for all your guidance,
Pam
 ;D
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!

Offline honeybun

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Merchant Navy Records
« Reply #10 on: Monday 20 September 04 22:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Pam,

Just a quick note to thank you for your reply - it's always interesting to see what other people are researching and I hope you get some results from your trip.

Honeybun

P.S.  I've heard that The Glasshouse restaurant at Station Parade is very good ....
Buckett, Woolton: Kent
Buckett: Hampshire and Surrey
Taylor: Wigan
Preece: Herefordshire