Author Topic: Immigration - Bradshaw  (Read 893 times)

Offline Goo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Immigration - Bradshaw
« on: Monday 23 January 06 12:08 GMT (UK) »
I have become stumped finding James Bradshaw on any passenger list to Australia. These are the facts I do know.
James married Mary Elizabeth Harrison on 02.07.1880 in the District of Anderston, Burgh of Glasgow.
They subsequently had a child who died age two weeks on 04.08.1881 registered in the same District and Burgh.
He next appears on the Qld, Aust.electoral roll in 1887.
He remarried in Qld on 18.01.1888.
There is no record of the death of Mary either in Scotland or Australia between 1881 and 1887. So where did she die?
James occupation on the 1881 British Census is shown as Fireman on board ship. Which makes me wonder if he worked his way to Aust. But again I have not found a crew list carrying his name or a Mary B that fits her birthyear of abt 1857.
Can someone suggest where I might go from here?
Goo

Offline capricorn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Immigration - Bradshaw
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 January 06 17:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Goo,
          This could be a long shot here. I did a free search on 'scotlandspeople' There is a Mary Bradshaw with other surname Harrison who died Glasgow City, aged 40 in 1890.  This would put her birth year c1850, also, by doing the free search, you can't tell whether Bradshaw is her married or maiden name.

Liz
Census information Crown Copyright, from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Goo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Immigration - Bradshaw
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 January 06 06:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Liz,
Thank you for your "long shot". It proved the key I needed.
I downloaded Mary Bradshaw's death certificate from Scotlandspeople and it checked out to be the right Mary Bradshaw in all respects. The sequence of events appear to be as follows. James Bradshaw married Mary Elizabeth Bradshaw on 02.07.1880. They had a child who died at two weeks born 04.08.1881. Within a short period of time (still unable to find him on a passenger list) James migrated to Australia and remarried on 02.10.1887. Mary died on 17.12.1890. Hence James would have committed bigamy, a fact I had never contemplated. However I have since been told that this was not unusal in those times. Well I never!
Goo