Author Topic: HARRISONS AT THE CAPE  (Read 1404 times)

Offline Barcus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
HARRISONS AT THE CAPE
« on: Monday 23 January 06 19:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I'm looking for information - address and occupation of a family of Harrisons living at the Cape of Good Hope. The time period I'm interested in is the 1830 - 1840 period. I already have quite a bit of info from NAAIRS. The sort of info I need may be found in a old directory.

The names of key male family members at are Henry and James Harrison or Fortescue Harrison, although any Harrison names at the Cape between 1830 and 1840 are of interest.

Barcus
Searching for information about PRATT family of Pampisford, Cambridgeshire; SHEMELD/GREAVES family of Sheffield, Yorkshire; HARRISON family of London

Offline lanshaw

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: HARRISONS AT THE CAPE
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 February 06 09:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Just thought you might want to try web sit www.familyseach.org . International Genealogical Index / Africa The Harrisons ae listed there

Hope it helps.

Crew, Bleasby, Allcock, Preval

Offline Barcus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 February 06 10:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the suggestion - have already looked in all the obvious/starting out places such as the IGI. What I'm after is someone with access to a Cape Town directory/almanac for the 1830-1840 time period. I'm looking for Harrison names, addresses, and business occupations.
Searching for information about PRATT family of Pampisford, Cambridgeshire; SHEMELD/GREAVES family of Sheffield, Yorkshire; HARRISON family of London

Offline Leanne68

• RootsChat Member
  • The next generation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 February 06 16:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
The 1849 Cape almanac lists two Henry HARRISONS.

Henry Jnr. of 31 Burg St. and his occupation is listed as Dyer & Sourer
Henry Snr. of 39 Plein St. is a Dyer of Silk and Scourer

cheers
Leanne
ENG - Bath, Blacker, Brockman, Brook, Bundock, Cains, Davenport+, Earle, Edmonds^,Fletcher, Hinds, Holehouse, Holliday+, Jackson*, Laver+, Leach*,Litt^, Oxenham, Pirie*, Radford, Robinson, Staples*, Starkey+, Tarr*, Toye, Warner*, Whiffen, White, Wooley, Wright
IRE - Barnes, Caples, Hurst, McNamara, Quirk, Ryan, Towell, Wilson
SCOT - Craig, Davidson, Hervie, Kerr, McCallum, McFarlane, Reid, Robinson, Thorburn, Wright

* 1820 to Cape of Good Hope
^ 1841-1853 to Vict, Aus
+ 1860's to QLD, Aus

Offline Barcus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 February 06 04:44 GMT (UK) »
 ;D

Thanks so much for this very useful snippet, which looks like the family I'm interested in. I know from his will that a John F F Harrison was a Dyer and Scourer. His father was Henry and he had a brother Henry too so maybe they worked together as a family firm. That's a great lead for me to follow up.

Still looking for other Harrisons, particularly a J Harrison (first name unknown) who (I think) worked in Customs and Excise.

Barcus