Author Topic: 1841 Scottish census lookup please  (Read 2290 times)

Offline weststigers

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1841 Scottish census lookup please
« on: Tuesday 24 January 06 04:02 GMT (UK) »
Surname:  Corner

Address:  13 or 22  Morrison Street Edinburgh

Not sure if any Corners still lived there then but worth a try.  I am trying to find family of Edmund Corner b. 1807 d. 1837 (Jamaica, I think) but this was the address given in Gray's directory in early 1803's.  I cannot connect him with any of the Corners in that area at the time.  I have his marriage info but birth info came of his diary in special collections at Birmingham University re CMS.

Thanks in anticipation

Offline GEN10

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 Scottish census lookup please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 January 06 18:27 GMT (UK) »
Hello weststigers, here is the web address of FreeCen, as it says it's free. I took a look for the surname Corner in the midlothian area and came across quite a few. You didn't say who Edmunds parents were or if it's his wife your looking for? Any way happy hunting, GEN10
http://freecen.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl
FIFE NAMES:BELL, BEVERIDGE, MCNEILL, HENDERSON, HYND, MITCHEL, WEBSTER.
MIDLOTHIAN NAMES: BLAIR, CROMBIE,  FAIRNIE, GREENLEES, LATTA, PEAT, SNEDDON/SNADDON.
ANGUS: BEAN, COWIE, GOWANS, MYLES, SKIRLING

Offline weststigers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 January 06 21:49 GMT (UK) »
GEN10

Thanks for your reply, that is my problem, I can't find his parents.  I only know his birth date from his diary in special collections at Birmingham University in the CMS records.  His mother remarried as he talks about his stepfather, not even sure if Corner was his birth name or he took on his stepfather's name.  I know that any of the Corners in that same area could be related but can't find out how.

Offline GEN10

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 January 06 19:34 GMT (UK) »
Hya weststigers, did Edmund marry in Scotland that you know of? It would be worth while trying to trace a marriage cert. You say that you don't know if Corner is his birth name or not,was his step father from Scotland? If he was you could try looking for a marriage cert for this man to Edmund's mother, you only need his name as the OPR's will show the person he married and the date and place without purchasing the parish record. Does any of this help or has it made matters worse? Lex
MIDLOTHIAN NAMES: BLAIR, CROMBIE,  FAIRNIE, GREENLEES, LATTA, PEAT, SNEDDON/SNADDON.

Offline weststigers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 January 06 21:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lex

Edmund married Teresa Byrne 14.08.1828 at St Cuthbert's, Edinburgh.  I don't know if his father was born in Scotland or not, can't find any info on his parents or stepfather, I only know from the Special Collections at Birmingham University (where his diaries from 1836-1839 are) that he was born on 29 November 1807 and that in some letters to his mother, he enquiries after his stepfather's health.

I could purchase the microfilm of the diaries if I had a spare couple of hundred dollars.  There is a lady at the Uni that has looked at them for me and cannot find any names, addresses etc.  The uni has currently ceased it's photocopying service indefinately so you can see why I am getting extremely frustrated looking for Edmund's history.

Thanks again for your suggestion
Leanne

Offline GEN10

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 27 January 06 19:39 GMT (UK) »
Hya Leanne, well we have a dilemma don't we? I really don't know what to suggest. Edmund's mother, did she live in Scotland? If so what was her full name and the stepfathers if you know it, it might give us a lead to tracing some of his family. If they lived in Scotland then we could trace the death cert of his mother, this would tell us who her first husband was, that's if she was married when she had Edmund. Maybe she wasn't and he took his stepfathers name. There should still be a record of his birth somewhere.  Don't know what else to suggest. Get back to me with the information and I'll see what I can dig up. Lex

Offline weststigers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 29 January 06 22:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lex

I presume she lived in Scotland from his letters back to her from Jamaica.  I have asked Anne from Birmingham University to look through them and the only reference to his mother and stepfather is their resentment to this missionary work in Jamaica.  Anne's suggestion was that they were probably looking to him for financial support.

One suggestion I have been given is that perhaps the bride and groom's parents may be listed on the parish record for the marriage of Edmund and Teresa. 

So you see, I do not have his mother's name, nor father or stepfather not even birth certificate, only 29 November 1807 (from his diary).

Hopefully I can get someone to look at the parish record for me.

Thanks for your help, I am determined to smash this "brickwall".

Leanne

Offline GEN10

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 30 January 06 19:25 GMT (UK) »
Hya Leanne, the only suggestion that I can make given the information you have is to purchase his marriage cert, or I should say the banns from the OPR's, to see if there is anyone mentioned with the same surname who was a witness. Apart from that the only thing I can suggest is the same as yourself, the parish records. I have checked the IGI as I'm sure you have and have not found an Edmund Corner.  ???
GEN10