Author Topic: Queensberry House. Edinburgh  (Read 13779 times)

Offline joyous-57

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Queensberry House. Edinburgh
« on: Tuesday 24 January 06 15:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello! My Great Uncle-William Matthew Cloonan was born in Ireland in 1870 along with 2 sisters but on the 1881 census they were living in Scotland. Edinburgh. Other sblings were born to the family in Scotland and then the only other information I have on William Matthew Cloonan is that he married in 1899 in Scotland and his first son was born that same year and died aged 2. At his wifes death in 1937 his recorded occupation is Governor of Queensberry House-Cannongate/Edinburgh. He seems to have disappeared off the planet and so did his Father a William Cloonan-who was recoded alive in 1879 registering a childs birth but was recorded deceased by the 1881 Scottish census on which his wife Helen was a widow. Is there any info/records I can find more info on him being governor/resident etc. Any help would be greatfully recieved.

Offline runner

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Queensberry House. Edinburgh
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 January 06 00:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I can't help directly on the whereabouts of the records for Queensberry House but in 1891 it was a House of Retreat which is a rather pleasant way of describing an old folks home.
My gt-gt-grandmother was listed as resident there along with many other elderly ladies. (Jane Morton, age 78, widow of a coachman; born in Edinburgh)
Since Edinburgh was the seat of all things administrative there is a good chance that all the records survive for Queensberry House. I believe it went through several incarnations in terms of function over the years. They may be in the National Archive.
Hope this helps
Russell
1941-2016
Oman in Caithness, Reside in Renfrewshire,
Roan or Rowan Kirkcudbrightshire/Ayrshire
Watsons in Kilrenny and Mortons in Edinburgh.

Offline ADP

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 January 06 09:11 GMT (UK) »
A potted history of Queensberry House is given on the Scottish Parliament website.

http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/vli/holyrood/building/queensberryHouse.htm

ADP

Offline Aussigirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 January 12 02:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi - I just found this post - and I'm pretty sure we're related.  My great-grandmother was a sister of the William Cloonan of Queensbury House - although we were told it was Queensbury Lodge, the Masonic Lodge in Edinburgh.

Happy to discuss if you want to email me direct.

cheers

Offline ADP

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 January 12 06:18 GMT (UK) »
Queensberry Lodge may well have been the lodge house of Queensberry House, with the lodge being the home of the governor and his family.

The 1890s OS map shows Queensberry House and its lodge house.

http://maps.nls.uk/townplans/view/?sid=74415763&mid=edinburgh500_se

ADP

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 25 January 12 21:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Aussigirl

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Unfortunately joyous-57 has not been online since 2006 so you may not get a response from your post today. As you can see from ADP's post, lots of help and advice around if you want to search further.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Aussigirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 25 January 12 23:15 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Monica,

I did see that but was hoping they had it set up to get a message when someone posted.  I thought it was so cool to see a post from someone I'm related to.

Appreciate your help.
cheers

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 26 January 12 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

Found the following article on Queensberry Lodge,

LAYING OF THE FOUNDATION-STONE OF QUEENSBERRY LODGE
The Scotsman (1860-1920); Jul 18, 1865; ProQuest Historical Newspapers The Scotsman (1817-1950)

The foundation stone of this institution which is for the "safe accomodation and reformation of females in a respectable position in society addicted to habits of drunkenness" was yesterday laid by the Lord Provost.

LORD HIGH COMMISSIONER
The Scotsman (1921-1950); Jun 1, 1933; ProQuest Historical Newspapers The Scotsman (1817-1950)
pg. 8

Hovever in 1933 it was already "a supplementary nursing home for aged and infirm gentlemen."

So it has had many uses.

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline joyous-57

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 26 January 12 19:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Aussie Girl,
Just got home and checked my inbox and had notification about your message. I'm thrilled. I've been trying for the last 30 mins to send a reply. It's been 5 yrs at least since I've used a forum etc so I do hope you get this message. So if your line comes through William Cloonans sister then would that be through Mary Ann or Catherine and did more relatives go to Australia with Norah and Jonny marr as well as William. I've got Mary Ann Cloonan on 1901 census. Oh I won't go on. Can't wait to see how we are related.
Happy.