Author Topic: Queensberry House. Edinburgh  (Read 13780 times)

Offline Scottyaussie63

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Queensberry House. Edinburgh
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 02 July 19 00:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you
I will see my friend tomorrow and i will as for more detail.
I really appreciate your reply & I had best familiarize myself with the rules 😕😮

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 02 July 19 10:54 BST (UK) »
Reverse timeline. Births, marriage and deaths are from the index at Scotland's People.

1911 Census index: William Cloonan, 40 and Elizabeth Cloonan, 35, in Edinburgh Canongate.

1909: Alexander Bowden McLaren marries Margaret Meikle McIntyre in Edinburgh St Giles.

1901: William Matthew Cloonan, 3, dies in Edinburgh Canongate.

1901 Census transcription: William Cloonan, 30, railway porter, born Ireland; Elizabeth Cloonan, 35, born Canongate; William Cloonan, 2, born Newington; Mary A Cloonan, 24, born Canongate, at 14 Canongate, Edinburgh.

1899: William Matthew Cloonan marries Elizabeth McLaren in Edinburgh Canongate; William Matthew Cloonan born in Edinburgh Newington.

1891 Census transcription: Alexander Bowden, baker, aged 72; grandchildren Elizabeth McLaren, 16; Margaret McLaren, 11;  Alexander McLaren, 9; William McLaren, 6; all born in Edinburgh, living at Calton Hill, South Leith.

1887: Elizabeth Bowden or MacLaren dies in Edinburgh St Andrew aged 43.

1884: William McLaren born in South Leith.

1881: Alexander Bowden McLaren born in Edinburgh St Andrew.

1879: Margaret Bowden McLaren born in Edinburgh St Andrew.

1875: Elizabeth McLaren born in Edinburgh Canongate.

1874:  William McLaren and Elizabeth Bowden married in Edinburgh Canongate.

1871 Census transcription: Alexander Bowden, baker, 52; Elizabeth Bowden, wife, 52; Elizabeth Bowden, daughter, 24; Margaret Boyd Bowden, daughter, 20, at Fleshmarket Close, Edinburgh St Giles.

27 August 1870: William Mathew Cloonan, son of William Cloonan and Helen Docherty, born at Macroom, County Cork, Ireland.

1861 Census: Alexander Bowden, 42, born South Leith; Elizabeth Christina Bowden, wife, 42, born South Leith; Elizabeth Bowden, daughter, 15; Margaret Bowden, daughter, 11; William Alexander Bowden, son, 8;  at High School Yards, Edinburgh Canongate.

See what you make of this. Without looking at the original certificates I don't guarantee that every listing is relevant, but it does all hang together and suggests that either Alexander or William McLaren must have been the father of Ian and Patrick McLaren.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Scottyaussie63

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 02 July 19 11:38 BST (UK) »
Wow 😮 im impressed. You are very knowledgeable in thelis field. Its hard piecing together the bits that an elderly lady can remember.
This is my friend's grandfather as i remember she said thats where he was born...
27 August 1870: William Mathew Cloonan, son of William Cloonan and Helen Docherty, born at Macroom, County Cork, Ireland.
Im excited to talk to her tomorrow 😀
Thank you so much

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 02 July 19 12:41 BST (UK) »
A few more bits for the timeline (This time in normal order)

1864: William Cloonan and Helen Dorchty or Doucherty married in Edinburgh St George.

10 January 1867: Catherine Jane Cloonan born in Down Street, Macroom. (Her father William Cloonan is described as Trumpeter, West Cork Artillery Militia so it might be worth looking for army service records.)

1873: Rachel Margaret Cloonan born in Dalkeith.

1877: Mary Ann Cloonan born in Edinburgh Canongate.

1878: Robert Cloonan born in Edinburgh Canongate.

1881 Census transcription: Helen Cloonan, widow, 35, born Elphinstone, East Lothian; daughters Janet E, 11, born Ireland; Rachel C, 7, born Dalkeith; Mary Anne, 4, born Edinburgh; son Robert 2, born Edinburgh, at High Street East, Dalkeith.

1881 Census: Wm Matthew Cloonan, 10, scholar, born Ireland, is in the Royal Military Asylum, Chelsea, London. (Again, this points to a military connection.)

1884: Margaret Meikle McIntyre born in Edinburgh Newington.

1900: Helen Docherty or Cloonan dies in Edinburgh Newington aged 54.

1913: James Henry and Margaret B McLaren married in Edinburgh St Andrew.

1935: Margaret Meikle McIntyre or McLaren dies in Edinburgh Canongate aged 51.

26 May 1939: William Cloonan, Canongate, Edinburgh, governor, aged 68, departs aboard 'Caledonia' bound for New York, but intending to return to Scotland.

26 September 1940: William Matthew Clooman, 70, retired governor of institution, born Ireland, residence Scotland, arrived at Vancouver from Auckland aboad the SS 'Awata' en route to the USA via Vermont (I think - it's not always clear what is going on!).

4 April 1948: William Matthew Cloonan dies aged 77 at Woodville, South Australia and is buried in Cheltenham Cemetery, Cheltenham, Adelaide, South Australia.

5 April 1948: On April 4, at Adelaide, William Matthew Cloonan, of 97 David Terrace, Woodville Park, late of Edinburgh, Scotland, dearly loved uncle of Nora (Mrs Marr), Thomas Hall and Katherine (Mrs Dimond, of Perth). Aged 77 years. [Notice in Adelaide Advertiser] NB this sheds new light on the connection because if William Matthew Cloonan was the uncle of Norah Marr, he must be your friend's great-uncle, not her grandfather.

1959: Alexander Bowden McLaren dies in Edinburgh Canongate and Portobello aged 77.

1960: Margaret Bowden McLaren or Henry dies in Lasswade aged 80.

I wish they'd given William McLaren b 1884 a middle name!
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 02 July 19 13:56 BST (UK) »
1926: John Marr and Norah Ellen Hall married in Edinburgh Canongate.

No wonder I couldn't find a marriage of Mr Marr and Miss Cloonan - she was Miss Hall!

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 02 July 19 15:20 BST (UK) »
     "EDINBURGH EVENING NEWS" dated Saturday, 25th Nov. 1939, (Page 3), has a lengthy article about William M, Cloonan, when he retired as Governor of Roseberry House. (Good photograph on same page.) Referred to as a "Cameraman and Philatelist" article says William was born 1870 in Ireland. Travelled to Dalkeith (Midlothian, Scotland) age 11 days. Joined Army age 14yrs. Served about 13 years in the Army, including in India where he was "Lord Robert's bugler at the great Durbar at Delhi in 1885". Time in India fostered a love of travel and he later visited Europe, Canada and America. Combined with a keen interest in photography and cine film, he gave travel lectures for "charitable purposes". Another hobby was stamp collecting and he was the first President of the Edinburgh Philatelist Society. William was a Clerk and Cashier at Roseberry House for 19 years before he was appointed Governor, a position he held for 14 years until his retirement age 69. William hoped to travel to Australia, where his nephew was an M.P., "as soon as the international situation will permit". (Start of WW2). A widower of 2yrs. his regret was that his wife, who always accompanied him on on holiday travels, would not be with him.
"Scotsman! I am not a Scotsman -- I am a Fifer."

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 02 July 19 18:28 BST (UK) »
     Couldn't find Cloonan family on 1871 Scotland Census although William (Snr) and his wife Helen Docherty had a son Charles John Cloonan born 13th Oct. 1871, died 1871 at Dalkeith, Midlothian.
     Couldn't find William Cloonan (Snr) or William (Jnr) on 1881 Scotland Census but this looks like the rest of the family at High Street, Dalkeith.
     Helen Cloonan  38  Chapel Laundress  b  Elphinstone, Haddingtonshire, (Scotland).
     Janet E     "      11                             b  Ireland.
     Rachel C?   "       7                             b  Dalkeith.
     Mary Ann  "        4                             b  Edinburgh.
     Robert      "        2                             b  Edinburgh.

(Two Entries for birth of Janet. (1) Jeenette Ellen Cloonen b 25th April 1869 at Cork, Ireland.
          Dau of William Cloonen and Ellen Doherty.
     (2) Jennet Ellen Cloonan b 25th April 1869. bap. 10th May 1869 at Macroom, Cork.
          Dau of William Cloonan and Ellen.)
     (Rachel Margaret Cloonan b 24th Sep. 1873 at Dalkeith.
          Dau of William Cloonan and Helen Docherty.)
     (Mary Ann Cloonan, birth registered 1877 at Canongate, Edinburgh.)
     (Robert Cloonan, birth registered 1878 at Canongate, Edinburgh.)
     (Also, possible child for William and Helen. Alice Cloonan b 1880, died 1880 at Dalkeith.)

Janet Ellen Cloonan, age 18, married Thomas Hall, age 24, on 9th April 1888 at Aldgate, London. Janet's father is William Cloonan (deceased). Band Sergeant?, 74th Highlanders.

This Notice in the "Edinburgh Evening News" dated Thursday, 29th June 1905, looks like the above Robert. "Cloonan.- In Memory of my dear brother, R.K. CLOONAN, 2nd H.L.I., who died at St Peter's, Jersey, 29th June 1904. Inserted by his youngest sister, M. Cloonan."
     Register of Soldier's Effects (A***try). Pte. R. Cloonan. 2nd Highland Light Infantry. No:4567. Died: 29/6/1904 at Jersey. Born: Edinburgh. Enlisted: 26/7/1892. Trade on Enlistment: Musician.
Next of Kin: W. Cloonan. Effects Authorised to: Brother - Wm. M., Sisters - Janet; Mary A.; Catherine; & Rachel.

"Scotsman! I am not a Scotsman -- I am a Fifer."

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 02 July 19 18:55 BST (UK) »
     Couldn't find William Cloonan (Snr) or William (Jnr) on 1881 Scotland Census but this looks like the rest of the family at High Street, Dalkeith.
     Helen Cloonan  38  Chapel Laundress  b  Elphinstone, Haddingtonshire, (Scotland).
     Janet E     "      11                             b  Ireland.
     Rachel C?   "       7                             b  Dalkeith.
     Mary Ann  "        4                             b  Edinburgh.
     Robert      "        2                             b  Edinburgh.
See above. William Jr was a scholar at the Royal Military Asylum, Chelsea, and Helen was described as a widow in the 1881 census.

1911 Census, 21 Abbey Street, Ilkeston, Derbyshire: Thomas Hall, 46, coal miner, born Kilburn, Derby; wife Janet Ellin, 41, born Cork, Ireland, married 23 years, 8 children, 5 living 3 dead; Catherine, 14; Thomas, 8; Robert, 5.

1920: Janet E Hall, 49, died in Basford.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 02 July 19 19:31 BST (UK) »
I found William Cloonan's and William Matthew Cloonan's army service records.

William Cloonan served with the 94th from 23 July 1846 to 26 June 1848 'under age'. So it looks as if he turned 18 in 1848, therefore he was born in 1830. He was transferred to the 74th, and discharged to the West Cork Militia at Macroom on 27 August 1869. It also says that he was born at Sheerness in Kent and attested at Aden on 23 July 1846 aged 16 years and 26 days.

William Matthew Cloonan joined the Highland Light Infantry at 14 years of age, and the interesting detail is that he gave as his next of kin Lillian Simpson, Wardhams Close, Dalkeith.