Author Topic: Queensberry House. Edinburgh  (Read 13778 times)

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Queensberry House. Edinburgh
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 02 July 19 19:37 BST (UK) »
     I thought Helen may be widowed, especially since she was working. According to daughter Janet's Marriage Entry, William (Snr) served with the 74th Highlanders, so maybe he died abroad.
     Helen Docherty / Cloonan married Robert Simpson, 1882 at Canongate, Edinburgh. Don't know what happened to Robert but on 1891 Scotland Census, Helen Simpson (transcribed as Smipon on A**try) is in South Leith, age 45, with daughters Rachel M Cloonan, age 18 and Mary A Cloonan, age 15.
     Helen Docherty / Cloonan / Simpson died 1900 at Newington, Edinburgh aged 54yrs.

Regards,     Dod.
Sorry, this is going to cross with another post.
"Scotsman! I am not a Scotsman -- I am a Fifer."

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 02 July 19 20:14 BST (UK) »
I thought Helen may be widowed
Which transcription did you use that didn't tell you that rather important detail that was in the original?

According to daughter Janet's Marriage Entry, William (Snr) served with the 74th Highlanders, so maybe he died abroad.
I didn't see his death date and place in his army service papers. I'll have another look.

1895 Rachel Margaret Cloonan and Daniel Graham married in Edinburgh Canongate.

1914 Rachel Cloonan or Graham died in Scotstoun and Yoker.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 02 July 19 20:59 BST (UK) »
     A***try doesn't say whether married, single or widowed. Wish they would, but maybe just as well, really. Transcriptions are not the best!
          Regards,     Dod.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 02 July 19 21:58 BST (UK) »
A***try doesn't say whether married, single or widowed. Wish they would, but maybe just as well, really. Transcriptions are not the best!
No, indeed. Ancestry misses out these important details, and it adds a supposed year of birth which isn't in the original document. FindMyPast also adds the supposed YoB and often leaves out the birthplace, but at least it includes the relationship to the head of the family. FreeCEN puts the surname first, which the originals don't, but at least it includes relationships and birthplaces. The LDS 1881 transcription omits all the information on the headers of the page so places like Airdrie, Coatbridge, Motherwell and Wishaw are not included in the transcriptions. There's no substitute for viewing the originals.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 03 July 19 11:10 BST (UK) »
William Matthew Cloonan joined the Highland Light Infantry at 14 years of age, and the interesting detail is that he gave as his next of kin Lillian Simpson, Wardhams Close, Dalkeith.
I've checked it again and it definitely says Lillian, so I suppose 'Lillian' must be a clerical error for 'Helen'.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 03 July 19 11:14 BST (UK) »
Got it! (I think). Death of William Coonan, aged 49, in Edinburgh St Giles in 1879.

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 03 July 19 13:38 BST (UK) »
     That sounds a likely death. Did a bit more fishing around too.

1901 Scotland Census. This appears to be William Mathew Cloonan and family at Canongate,
  Edinburgh. (Surname transcribed as Cloman on An***try.)
       William Cloonan   30  Head   b  Ireland.
       Elizabeth    "        25  Wife    b  Canongate, Edinburgh.
     *William       "          2  Son    b  Newington, Edinburgh.
       Mary A       "         24  Sister b  Canongate, Edinburgh.
       Robert Sutherland   6  Boarder b St Giles, Edinburgh. 

*Sadly, a Death Notice in the "Edinburgh Evening News" dated 5th Sep. 1901.
         "Cloonan.- At Canongate, Wee Willie, beloved only son of W. and Lizzie Cloonan."
     ScotlandsPeople - William Matthew Cloonan died 1901 at Canongate, Edinburgh, age 3.

William's wife, Elizabeth McLaren died 1937 at Leven, Fife.
     "The Scotsman" dated Monday 9th and Tuesday 10th Aug. 1937.
       "Cloonan. At Leven, suddenly, on 6th August, Elizabeth (Bessie) McLaren, beloved wife of
     W.M. Cloonan, governor, Queensberry House. Funeral Tuesday to Piershill Cemetery."
     A short report in the "Dundee Evening Telegraph" dated Tuesday, 10th Aug. 1937, says
     Elizabeth died while on holiday in Leven.
     ScotlandsPeople - Elizabeth McLaren / Cloonan died 1937 at Scoonie(Parish), Fife age 62yrs.

Memoriams - "The Scotsman" dated 5th Aug. 1939. (Note the address)
       "Cloonan.- In loving memory of my dear wife, Elizabeth (McLaren) Cloonan. . . . .Inserted by
     her husband, William M. Cloonan, Governor, Queensberry House and Lodge, Holyrood Road,
     Edinburgh." also "Cloonan.- In loving memory of our aunt, Elizabeth Cloonan. . . . .Inserted by
     her nieces and nephew(s). Mrs and Mr J. Marr."
     I assume from the address on the Memoriam inserted by by William, that he lived in
     Queensberry Lodge while governor of Queensberry House.

Regards,     Dod     

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Friday 05 July 19 12:45 BST (UK) »
Just for the record, and to save anyone delving further, I have found the people Scottyaussie63 was looking for and put them in touch.

I have also put together a tree based on the contents of this thread which I am happy to share with any descendants.

Offline Scottyaussie63

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 07 July 19 04:47 BST (UK) »
Im amazed and truly grateful for all of your help.  This is like another language to me. I've just only managed to work out how to get back to the main post 😕
You have made an old woman very happy im sure. I will fill her in on all of your wonderful information when i see her tomorrow. Thank you so much.