Author Topic: Help! How do I start?  (Read 2341 times)

Offline Comosus

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Help! How do I start?
« on: Tuesday 24 January 06 15:49 GMT (UK) »
I have a couple of Irish ancestors and I was hoping to be able to trace them back futher.  Both married in Yorkshire, and from the censuses I can only find out that they were born in Ireland.

I'm trying to trace William White born in Ireland in about 1814 and Patrick Carroll born in Ireland about 1801.  Both married before 1837.

I have tried familysearch.org but it doesn't have the Patrick Carroll I'm looking for and searching for a William White in Ireland comes up with loads of results.  How can I narrow down these results and continue my family tree in Ireland?

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: Help! How do I start?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 January 06 16:06 GMT (UK) »
Do you have details of their parents to share as this may be useful for those trying to help? Mind you, even with that, it may still be difficult but every little bit of info helps in the bigger picture.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Comosus

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 January 06 16:10 GMT (UK) »
I know absolutley nothing about either of their parents as their marriages were before 1837 and I can't find a birth because I don't know whereabouts in Ireland they were from.  Even if I knew the area, finding a William White would still be very difficult.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 January 06 17:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I thought you may have already tracked down both men's  death certificates in England (assuming they lived beyond 1837 that is) and that these would have possibly given parents' names, hence my question.

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

Offline Comosus

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 January 06 18:46 GMT (UK) »
As far as I know, death certificates don't record their parents names.  The ones I have just show the informant.  In the case of these 2 that would be most likely their wife or one of their children.

Is there anything like passenger lists which might list their names.  For all I know their parents and siblings may have come over too.  Would these list which county they were living in?

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 24 January 06 23:09 GMT (UK) »
Oops, I have been working with Scottish death certificates this week and they, very helpfully, show the deceased's parents names (including mother's surname). I had forgotten that this is not the case with English certificates.

As far as I know, no passenger lists were recorded for journeys between Ireland/England at that time. It looks like you would have to try and tie down their marriages and see if OPR's make any mention of their respective parents and where they came from, although I am not sure how likely this was. I am in a similar position to you in one of my lines. I know two brothers were born in Ireland c1810's. They later moved to Scotland. I do have their parents names thanks to the good Scottish system of recording same on death certificate. Yet, despite all this, I haven't yet been able to trace them in Ireland.

Good wishes for your research. Perhaps someone else looking in on this thread will have other suggestions for you.

Offline Comosus

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 24 January 06 23:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your help.

Could you tell me what OPR is though, I've never heard of it before.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 25 January 06 09:57 GMT (UK) »
A couple of things. If you have the spouse's name for each of the men then it would be helpful to post these as well - gives people more to work with when trying to help. You say they married in England, were any children born after 1837? If yes, perhaps their birth location would give you a Parish that possibly was same one the parents married in. You could then try to narrow down what churches were in that area and find out what Old Parish Records (ie pre 1837 births/marriages) survive.

Offline Comosus

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 25 January 06 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Here's what I have:

Patrick Carroll b. 1801 Ireland
Mary Ann Lancester b. Jan 19 1812 Leeds
Marriage: June 17 1828 St Peter Leeds

Children:
Jane 1829
John 1831
William 1836
Bridget 1839
Edward 1843
Elizabeth 1844
Martha 1849
Mary 1849
Thomas Pabuck 1851
Patrick T 1853

All born Leeds

John married a Catherine Carroll born 1833 Ireland.  I presume she must be a cousin or similar but moved from Ireland later on.

The other family:

William White b. 1813 Ireland
Jane Kellett b. 1814 Leeds
I can't find their marriage on familysearch.org

Children:
George 1838
John 1840
James 1851

All born Leeds

I have George's birth which is where I got his mother's maiden name from.  On one of the censuses there is also a William Watson nephew living with them born 1841.  I don't know if this is on the White side of the Kellett side.