Author Topic: Battle of the Boyne & aftermath  (Read 1213 times)

Offline Sabretoothtiger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Battle of the Boyne & aftermath
« on: Wednesday 25 January 06 13:33 GMT (UK) »
One of my distant ancestors is reputed to have come to Ireland with William of Orange's army and been a "commander" at the Battle of the Boyne.  He was reputedly then granted some land in Co Cavan as a "reward".  I can find nothing about him in relation to either.  Can anyone tell me whether there is any research or contemporary sources that might give the names of participants in the Battle.  I think he was originally from France and unlikely to have been in an English Regiment.  I also wondered whether the story about the land is credible.  I know that large estates were doled out to various members of the establishment but did they partition it? or was there some arrangement whereby less important people were given land?

Offline Sabretoothtiger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Battle of the Boyne & aftermath
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 January 06 09:57 GMT (UK) »
Found answer to my own question.  Book written in  1693 and entitled "Story's Wars in Ireland" also "An Impartial account of William's Wars in Ireland", by Dean George Story who was a Chaplain in William's Army and was in London when the army was being recruited.   Just searched British Library Catalogue and they have it there, apparently a copy is also at the Linen Hall in Belfast.

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Battle of the Boyne & aftermath
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 February 06 21:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello NouNou,

Well, I assume that you have found the information about land being
allocated to people who fought in some of the battles in Ireland.
Do you require assistance in finding your distant ancestor?

Best Wishes,

Christopher