Author Topic: Muir Of Ord. Which District Does This Come Under?  (Read 18411 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Muir Of Ord. Which District Does This Come Under?
« Reply #54 on: Sunday 22 April 18 19:16 BST (UK) »

Are we assuming that Creatnabuale/Croftnabual on the 1841 and 51 is the same as Ardnagask Inn,  which is where they are in 1861?
I think that's the nub of the question, really, and I'd like to see some evidence one way or the other.

He is down as Innkeeper on the 1851 at Croftnabual as well.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline DougD

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Sunday 22 April 18 19:21 BST (UK) »
That is correct Gadget.  I turned left and went up the Corry Road. After I found the house sign labeled "Croc Na Boull" I did drive further up the road and recall it coming to a dead end.  I've attached a photo of the sign.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Sunday 22 April 18 19:58 BST (UK) »
Valuation rolls suggest it is the same place throughout
1855 Inn and croft at Croftnabual, Ord Estate, Proprietor Thomas Mackenzie Esquire, Tenant occupier Alexander Campbell
1865 Inn and croft, Croftmabual, Estate of Ord, Proprietor Thomas Mackenzie Esquire, Tenant Alexander Campbell
1875 Land ann Croflnacual, Tenant occupier William Campbell
1885 Inn and croft, Croftnatoul, Estates of Ord and Ardnagrask, Tenant occupier William Campbell
1895 Inn and croft, Croftnaboul, Estate of Ord and Arnagrask, Tenant occupier William Campbell
1905 House and croft, Croftnaboul, Estates of Ord and Ardnagrask, Proprietor Captain Alexander Watson Mackenzie, Tenant occupier John Cameron
1915 House and croft, Croftnaboul, Estates of Ord and Ardnagrask, Proprietor Major Alexander Watson Mackenzie, Tenant occupier John Cameron
1925 House and croft, Croftnaboul, Estates of Ord and Ardnagrask, Proprietor Lieutenant-Colonel Alexander Watson Mackenzie, Tenant occupier Simon Cameron
1935 House and croft, Croftnaboul, Estates of Ord and Ardnagrask, Tenant Angus Cameron
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Sunday 22 April 18 20:11 BST (UK) »
So it looks as if Croftnaboul and Ardnagrask Inn are most likely one and the same.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Sunday 22 April 18 20:20 BST (UK) »
So it looks as if Croftnaboul and Ardnagrask Inn are most likely one and the same.
Yes, I think so.

But we still don't know exactly where is it/was, or whether it is now Cnoc-na-Bull.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Sunday 22 April 18 20:31 BST (UK) »
Snip of valuation listing for 1865.  I know they're in order in towns but not sure in about rural areas. It might  help. 

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Sunday 22 April 18 20:43 BST (UK) »
Well done girls!  pour yourselves a half. I see from the books that there was an inn at Aultgowrie on the drove road west of the Muir & described as being not fit for man or beast!  ;D

Muir of Ord was the main tryst for cattle in the north from 1820 hence these inns. The Tarradale probably came with the railway which in turn finished off the droving! Alastair MacLean the authors brother had the Tarradale for a time!

Skoosh.

Offline DougD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Monday 23 April 18 15:26 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to all of you for this fine (and fun) educational journey you shared.  I now know about valuation rolls at Scotland’s People, old documents from Scotland’s Places, the UK Census transcriptions at FreeCEN, and of course using old Ordinance Survey maps and Name Books (matched up against modern day Google Maps, etc).  And let me not forget the matching of OS Names with the Census entries and then using shoe leather to chase them down (thanks again Forfarian!).

A question Gadget, were the snippets of actual Census document images (e.g. the one that showed “Ardnagrask Inn”) from Scotland's People's web site or another resource?

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Monday 23 April 18 15:53 BST (UK) »
A few place names here :-

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01lxq/

Malky