Author Topic: Help please  (Read 857 times)

Offline cribster

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help please
« on: Wednesday 25 January 06 15:05 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find details of grand parents marriage I am led to believe they married in Canada (Don't know where abouts) It was before 1934
Grand mother was Elsie Maud Kearsley and Grand Father was Joseph Kearsley
I believe he was born 1899/1900 and she was born 1905 both in England they had emigrated to Canada but returned some time in 1933 as she became homesick after a vistit from her brother Sorry don't know when they "emigrated" as my only living relative is my father and he married their daughter who apparently was conceived in Canada but born back in England and she was born in December 1933

Offline samthompson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Help please
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 January 06 16:28 GMT (UK) »
hello

this may be his arrival in Canada

http://www.collectionscanada.ca/archivianet/02011802_e.html

Surname: Kearsley 
Given name: Joseph 
Sex: M 
Nationality: En 
Date of arrival: 1929/04/29 (YYYY/MM/DD)
Port of arrival: Quebec , Quebec 
Ship: ATHENIA , Anchor Donaldson 
Reference: RG76 - IMMIGRATION, series C-1-a 
Volume: 1929 volume 2 
Page: 173 
Microfilm reel: T-14751 

this may be her arrival - on the same ship

Surname: Pilgrim 
Given name: Elsie Maud 
Sex: F 
Nationality: En 
Date of arrival: 1929/04/29 (YYYY/MM/DD)
Port of arrival: Quebec , Quebec 
Ship: ATHENIA , Anchor Donaldson 
Reference: RG76 - IMMIGRATION, series C-1-a 
Volume: 1929 volume 2 
Page: 174 
Microfilm reel: T-14751 

hope this helps

Thelma
Source: Library and Archives Canada's website (www.collectionscanada.ca)

Kilgannon, Chugg, Neutze

Offline cribster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 January 06 17:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi thanks for that silly me yes her name was Pilgrim (not Kearsley)- They weren't married They got married in Canada So if anybody can find marriage details I would be very grateful

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 January 06 17:46 GMT (UK) »
Marriage details are organised by province -  if you look at the link samthompson gives you will see that you can order copies of the ship list, that should tell you where they were headed to among other things.

Some provinces make it easier to get hold of marriage records than others, though.  For example, for a marriage after 1924 in Ontario presently, the person applying for a certificate must be one of the people getting married, one of their children, or, if one or both persons on the certificate are deceased, the parents, closest next-of-kin, executor, or estate trustee.  (It depends how long they wait before releasing marriage records into the public domain.  I think for most provinces it is about 70-80 years, so you're sort of on the cusp here.)

Once you know where in Canada they went, you'd be on much firmer ground for looking for marriage records.  Incidentally, freebmd shows a Elsie Maud Pilgrim, b. Mar 1905 quarter in Newark district, and also a Joseph Kearsley b. Jun 1899 quarter also in Newark (which is on the border of Nottingham/Lincolnshire counties, covering several towns in that area) - do you think they knew each other before emigrating?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cribster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 January 06 18:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi yes my father thinks they new each other before emigrating - Newark is not a very big place so the odds of them both emigrating independently would be pretty high I would have thought - sadly he does not what area they went to