Author Topic: MOLLOY  (Read 989 times)

Offline Ticker

• User is no longer receiving email notifications.
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Follow me on twitter @ShaunTymon.
    • View Profile
MOLLOY
« on: Monday 20 September 04 23:04 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find any information on Thomas Molloy (possibly McClay) b. c1799.  His father was Philip.  Thomas married Margaret TYMON in 1839 at which time they were in Hull England.  I expect they were born in Ireland.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: MOLLOY
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 February 06 12:29 GMT (UK) »
How are you Ticker,

There are two schools of thought on these boards. One seems to be if you are unable to offer positive helpful information do not bother replying as you only annoy people. I am of the opinion every little helps. A piece of what appears to be positive information may well be totally wrong and lead you up the Swanee.

At the time of Griffiths Valuation in Ireland (1848-64) the name Molloy appeared in most of the counties in Ireland. http://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths.php Many of the heads of household were called Thomas. I would tend to look at the counties showing the greatest number of people with the surname. Have you looked through the Christian names in your family tree? One of these may be an Irish surname being used as a given name. This would enable you to cross check with the Molloy name to see if you can find a common county in Ireland. You may then be able to check to see if both names were in the same parish in that county. http://scripts.ireland.com/ancestor/surname/index.cfm

Best Wishes,

Christopher

Offline Ticker

• User is no longer receiving email notifications.
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Follow me on twitter @ShaunTymon.
    • View Profile
Re: MOLLOY
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 February 06 17:52 GMT (UK) »
Always a pleasure to hear from you Christopher.  ;)  Thanks for the tips.

There are two schools of thought on these boards. One seems to be if you are unable to offer positive helpful information do not bother replying as you only annoy people. I am of the opinion every little helps. A piece of what appears to be positive information may well be totally wrong and lead you up the Swanee.

I think the reason some are annoyed to get replies which have no positive information is that their thread then shows as having a reply which others may assume means the query has been answered.  So I wouldn't recommend such a post when a thread is relatively fresh but as this one was over a year old anything is welcome!  ;)

Best wishes

Ticker
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk