Author Topic: meehan & Farragher  (Read 7432 times)

Offline popsit

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: meehan & Farragher
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 02 February 12 21:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

WOW!!! this is so long ago however thank you for taking the time to send me your postings. This reply is for both jessie 2009 and taramcdsmall.

If you can bear with me for a day or so I will get back to you. I will have to dust of the meehan/farragher file and go over it. Once again thank you for getting in touch.

Popsit/NZ
Be good to your Mum

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 02 February 12 21:17 GMT (UK) »
Hiya POPSIT,

Great - Talk Soon !

Tara

Offline popsit

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 03 February 12 21:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,

I have found my notes and want to ask if you dont mind my addressing this to Jesse 2009 as well, I hope she /he will see it as it will save me repeating myself. Briefly this is what I have.

I have a Mary (molly) Meehan, born 6th July 1890. She married Ernest Atkinson here in NZ aged 25 but she had been here since about the age of 16. I do not know why or how she got here.
It says on her death cert. she was born happy lane galway Ireland. It also states she was here for 77 years.
Her parents were Micheal Meehan and her mother Bridget Meehan nee Farrington. On their marriage cert she is Bridget Farrington but I am told it could have been Farragher. It now gets very hard to understand. So I am wondering if I might send you and Jesse at the same time a copy of the notes I have by email from a lady who did research for me.

Micheal's father was a Patt Meehan and Bridgets father was a Patt Farrington, both farmers. Micheal and bridget were married august 7th 1884 in the roman catholic chapel in Annadown, district Turloughmore, county Galway. They had six children. Looking at it now it is a real puzzle however you might more sense of it. Then again it might not even be your family lol. Im not sure how things are done here and Im not sure if I am permitted to give you my email address on this message so is there a possibility you might find out and let me know. I will be away next week so if you send me a reply dont think I am ignoring you if you dont get an answer straight away. Bye for now

Popsit
Be good to your Mum

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 03 February 12 22:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi POPSIT

I am super excited as yes I most defo know your family.

Mary was born in ABBEYLANE Galway - next door to my husband's grandfather.

Her father Michael Meehan was the brother of Thomas Meehan who was a personal friend of Douglas Hyde - no less !!

I am going to send you a personal message with my email on it

Talk Soon

Tara

Offline popsit

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 04 February 12 01:39 GMT (UK) »
Ah Ha so it was ABBEYLANE not HAPPYLANE as written on her death cert. Of course this came from family who knew little of Mary's life before them. Ok so it sounds like there is a connection.
I have received your email and will send you the papers I have as soon as my husband gets home and digs out my old archives again for me. There are a lot of discrepancies which makes things hard to follow. It does sound though as if you have more than me as you have someone earlier than who I have got (will explain in my email).

Popsit
Be good to your Mum

Offline pmm

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 09 July 19 12:37 BST (UK) »
Hi,
My family are Meehan from Shankill, Annaghdown.
My grand uncle was Michael & he may be the man you refer to.
I still live close by & the family home is there

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 09 July 19 16:07 BST (UK) »

Welcome to RootsChat, pmm   :)

Hi,
My family are Meehan from Shankill, Annaghdown.
My grand uncle was Michael & he may be the man you refer to.
I still live close by & the family home is there

For information:
Shankill townland, Annaghdown Civil Parish, County Galway.

https://www.townlands.ie/galway/clare/annaghdown/eanach-dhuin/shankill/

KG
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo