Author Topic: Mills  (Read 1903 times)

Offline Steven Hancock

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Mills
« on: Saturday 28 January 06 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello i wonder if anyone can help me i`m looking for a Sarah Jane Mills who lived at 13 Oakhurst road Oswestry she had a daughter Margaret Joyce Mills who was born on the 22nd February 1924.
Be very grateful if anyone can help me.

Steve

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
Re: Mills
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 February 06 18:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve

When you say that you are "looking for" Sarah Jane Mills, what exactly is it you want to find out? :)

Is Mills her married or maiden name?  Have you found her on any census?

Jan :)
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline Steven Hancock

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 February 06 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jan

Sarah Jane Mills is her maiden name her daughter was born out of wedlock. Her daughter Margaret was orphaned when she was young and she never talked much about her mother. I can`t find her in any census as i think she may have been after 1901 i think but not sure. All i have is my grandmothers birth certificate and all it says that her mother was a domestic servant living at 13 oakhurst road Oswestry.

Steve ???

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 February 06 15:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve

mmm...this is a difficult one especially with it being post 1901.  I did have another look at the 1901 for you but couldn't find any Sarah Mills that might fit. 

Like you, I've assumed that if she had her daughter out of wedlock then she must have been quite young so that would make her born after 1901.  You could do with the 1911 census - only another 5 years to wait :D

Do you have any idea (however small) where Sarah might have originally come from?  I wonder if her daughter Margaret Joyce was named after any other family members?

Just a thought - who registered the birth?

Jan (thinking of other ideas!!)
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

Offline Steven Hancock

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 February 06 16:58 GMT (UK) »
On the census document RG 13/2545 there are some mills living at 30 Beatrice Street Oswestry and the head is Thomas W. Mills and his wife is Margaret A. MIlls. On My grandmas wedding Margaret Joyce she has a Thomas Mills as her father but on the birth certificate there is no fathers name and my mother told me there was a very old man who gave here away at her wedding i wonder if she put her granddad down as her father to save herself the embarrassment as she did not have any parents.
Seems very far fetched to me but it`s the only thing i`ve got to go on. What do you think??????? 8)

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 February 06 14:37 GMT (UK) »
on the birth certificate there is no fathers name and my mother told me there was a very old man who gave here away at her wedding i wonder if she put her granddad down as her father to save herself the embarrassment as she did not have any parents.

Yes, a possibility!!!  but it doesn't help you any further does it? ;D

For now, here is a link to a map of Oswestry http://www.shropshiretourism.info/oswestry/map/

You can clearly see Oakhurst Road and Beatrice Street.

I'm going to think some more about this one!!!!!!!

Jan

Offline Steven Hancock

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 04 February 06 16:28 GMT (UK) »
Jan on the same census document RG 13/2545 there lives another Mills family a Henry Mills is the head and he has a son called Thomas and they live at 2 Vine Cottages Trinity street Oswestry, another twist Jan i`m sure we are on the right track but where do you get the hard evidence i need?

Steve

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 04 February 06 16:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi there again

On Margaret's marriage certificate what occupation is recorded for the "father" Thomas?

You might find this interesting too http://www.1837online.com/Trace2web/resources/birthcert/illegitimacy.jsp

Jan

Offline Steven Hancock

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 04 February 06 16:45 GMT (UK) »
A Miner Jan