Author Topic: Where is 'The Jack'  (Read 1560 times)

Offline Irene B

• RootsChat Senior
  • My family tree is full of nuts
    • View Profile
Where is 'The Jack'
« on: Saturday 28 January 06 18:21 GMT (UK) »
Richard Rupert Burton has a different place of birth on each census where I have found him.

In 1861 place of birth is Farlam, in 1871 it is Brampton, in 1891 it is Greenhead, Northumberland and in 1901 it is 'The Jack' in Cumberland.

Can anyone help please?

Irene
Main, Rossiter, - Northumberland<br />Wibberley, Walwyn, Cadman, - Staffordshire<br />Saiger, Blackburn  - County Durham<br />

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where is 'The Jack'
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 January 06 19:27 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if The Jack is a mine?    Do you have his parents' marriage certificate.   That may give an address.  I am assuming Martha was the second wife as she is so much younger than Rupert. 
I did actually have a look for his birth - my daughter is cooking tonight! - and failed to find it.   The thought did cross my mind that maybe he is registered under his mother's name?   Not wishing to cast aspersions on your distinguished ancestors but it has happened!
Andrea

Offline Irene B

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 January 06 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Martha's age is wrong on 1861 census, it appears to say 25 but she should probably be 55.  She is 67 years old in 1871 and 44 in 1851.  She was his second wife but they were married in Staffordshire in February 1851, both were widowed with children.

I did wonder if The Jack was a mine, but I don't know where to look for information.

The address in 1861 looks like Rigg Foot, in Naworth.
Main, Rossiter, - Northumberland<br />Wibberley, Walwyn, Cadman, - Staffordshire<br />Saiger, Blackburn  - County Durham<br />

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 January 06 20:42 GMT (UK) »
One theory out of the window then!   I thought it said Rigg Foot Naworth too.  It is in the Brampton district whatever it is,  as is Farlam. Perhaps Genuki.com will have more information?
Andrea

Offline Rewcastle

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 February 06 02:14 GMT (UK) »
Do you have an occupation for Richard in the 1901 census? this may help to narrow the search of where "The Jack" was. i.e. Farm, Pub, Mine, etc.,

Or perhaps the neighbours address. If you can get the neighbours address either side you should be able to find out where the place was.

Offline Irene B

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 February 06 12:24 GMT (UK) »
In 1901 Richard was a coal miner, his father had been a labourer.