Author Topic: Looking for Great-Aunty Ivy!  (Read 749 times)

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
Looking for Great-Aunty Ivy!
« on: Sunday 29 January 06 06:25 GMT (UK) »
I have been wondering how to do this for a while, and eventually thought the best idea would be to post here, and see what sort of help I can get - wonderful, if past experience is anything to go by!  ;D

The story starts in England (London).  My great-grandmother and her brothers and sisters (9 in all) were split up after the death of their mother in 1898.  The three youngest girls, including Ivy (aged 11) were put into a convent in west London; eventually one went to Canada as a Home Child (i.e. domestic drudge), one emigrated to Australia, and the other - Ivy - seems to have gone to Ireland, at least for a time.

In 1909 Ivy sent a postcard to my great-grandmother Ethel.  The card is from Ireland and is postmarked "Clonmel" which I believe is in Tipperary.  In 1913 there is a card from Ivy from some place in England (can't remember where) and then in 1916 there is another postcard from Ireland.  AFter that we're not sure what became of her, except that we know she never married, and that she visited Australia sometime in the 40s or 50s (my mum remembers her visit).

My question is:  is there any way that you clever folk can think of, to track down Ivy while she was in Ireland?  I assume that unless she was there on census night 1911 I've got buckley's chance, but I want to rule out all the options.

Would appreciate any and all help!  :)

Many thanks
Prue

Offline magsbutler

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Great-Aunty Ivy!
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 January 06 20:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Clonmel is definitely in co.Tipperary. However, a postcard with that postmark doesn't necessarily mean Ivy lived in the town of Clonmel; she could have been staying in any of the surrounding villages, or even just over the border in the next county, Waterford; for instance, my mum's family comes from co.Waterford, but in the parish adjacent to Clonmel, and sometimes post from them is marked 'Clonmel'.
Unless Ivy was in Ireland on census night of 1911, I'm not sure how else you could track her down though. Even if you knew for a fact she was in Clonmel town, you would still need to know the townland/electoral division; presumably you have her surname at least and approximate age.

Sorry not much help!

Mags
Bailey - co.Limerick, Kilbeheny;co. Tipperary, Ballyporeen parish
King - co.Limerick, Kilbeheny parish
Moher - co.Tipperary, Ballyporeen parish
Farrell - co.Tipperary, Coolagarranroe, Skeheenaranky
Fitzgerald - ditto