Author Topic: Help dating photo, please  (Read 4262 times)

Offline Zebbie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help dating photo, please
« on: Sunday 29 January 06 15:29 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone date this photo which was taken from a negative glass image.

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
Re: Help dating photo, please
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 January 06 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Zebbie,

I could be well out here but I would suggest between the period of 1840 to 1860. Perhaps someone could narrow it down for you abit more.

old rowley
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 January 06 09:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Zebbie,
Can you describe the glass please?  Is it negative until you put a black card behind it? 
If it's what I think it is - a wet collodion positive on glass (sometimes called an Ambrotype although that is a term specific to one patented kind of wet collodion positive) - then it would date from the 1850s to the very early 1860s.  The women's clothes bear this out.  It's a lovely picture, is it your family? 
Cheers
Prue

P.S.  Just to add that if it's collodion, the emulsion side (the non-shiny side) will be extremely vulnerable to damage from abrasion etc. so you might want to talk to a conservator, perhaps at your local records office, about how best to store it.  That's if you haven't already done so!   :)

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 January 06 10:28 GMT (UK) »
Can we also know the size of the plate in inches please? And are there any notches in one corner?
                                          Denn
Ford, Baines, Dixon, Platts, Peat, Proctor, Rotherforth, Dakin/Daykin, Sales, Beech, Hall, Parkin, Nightingale. ----- Harthill, Waleswood, Woodhouse-mill, Whitwell

South Yorkshire/Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire

Torremocha, Candog, Ramos, Reyes, Rodrigueus
-------Philippines --- Bohol

Offline Zebbie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 January 06 12:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Denn,

The glass plate is 3 1/4" x 2 3/4".  The top left and bottom right corners have small irregular clear glass pieces with remnants of paper/cardboard on them, as though originally stuck to something which destroyed that part of the image.  Nothing else.

Zebbie

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 January 06 20:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
I've had a closer look at the clothing etc. and I would now date this to the latter half of the 1850s, maybe even narrowing that down to the 3rd quarter of the 1850s.  This is based on the shape of the sleeves, and the hair-dos.
Zebbie - the irregular clear corners on the plate would be where the photographer held onto the plate as he applied the coating (emulsion) in preparation for taking the picture.  He had to prepare the plate immediately before taking the picture because the collodion emulsion had to remain wet the whole time.  It's probably that the paper that's stuck there is either related to the paper tape seal that would once have been all around the edges of the plate.
Did you check to see what the plate looks like, as I suggested above?  It would help with dating.
Cheers
Prue

Offline Zebbie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 31 January 06 08:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Prue,

Sorry I missed your posting. 

Yes, the photo is of my family.  I had thought it was of my Gt. Gt. Grandmother Ann BEALE who was born in 1829, together with her only child Emily who was born in 1848.

The photo does not change when a black (or white) card is put behind it and I note your remarks on conservation (good point) and have not looked into this.

Zebbie

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 31 January 06 09:07 GMT (UK) »
Prue
    I'm not sure but is this a dry plate?, also I'm not sure but I imagine the 1/4plate size was a later development, which would have made it a little later!
     Your expert opinion is needed.
                                            Denn
Ford, Baines, Dixon, Platts, Peat, Proctor, Rotherforth, Dakin/Daykin, Sales, Beech, Hall, Parkin, Nightingale. ----- Harthill, Waleswood, Woodhouse-mill, Whitwell

South Yorkshire/Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire

Torremocha, Candog, Ramos, Reyes, Rodrigueus
-------Philippines --- Bohol

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 31 January 06 09:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Denn and Zebbie,

OK, if the picture doesn't change when a black card is put behind it then I think it must be a dry plate as Denn suggested...that is unless the plate is painted black on the back (instead of having a card) but then you would have said you have a positive not a negative. 

However, that presents a problem...gelatin dry plates were only introduced in the 1870s, and these ladies are certainly much earlier than that. 

Zebbie - I hate to be a pain, but do you reckon you could take a photo of the whole plate?  A pic of it full on, and one taken at an angle to catch the light, would be just great and would really help me to work out what it is.  They don't have to be big photos, just small enough to be posted on here.

Prue