Author Topic: Rakestrow and Curtis families  (Read 1287 times)

Offline lisajk

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rakestrow and Curtis families
« on: Sunday 29 January 06 17:31 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to locate the Band/Rakestrow/Curtis families of the Plymouth/Tavistock area.  This is the information I have so far, which I am fairly sure is correct, but am awaiting certificates to verify.

Alexia Patricia Jennie Nellie Band (b 1905, Devonport) m Henry Claude Rakestrow (b 1899)  in 1944.

They had a daughter,  in 1944.  I can't find any records of other children after this date but Alexia would have been 39 when she had her daughter so this is not necessarily surprising.

The daughter married in Tavistock in 1961. I think they had three children between 1962  and 1965. 

The key people I am trying to locate are Alexia and her daughter.  (Alexia is likely to be deceased but I've not found a death record).  However if that's not possible I will be happy if I can make contact with Alexia's son in law or any of the children to find out what happened to them.

Any help will be hugely appreciated.  This is a long standing mystery (60 years) in our family that looks like it might be on its way to being solved at last.

Many thanks
Lisa

MODERATOR COMMENT: Original post edited to protect identity of living people or their offspring.

Rootschat has the right to edit posts that are thought to contain information that maybe linked to living people whose express permission has not been granted to publish such information.

There are many ways to trace living relatives using publicly available telephone directories, "friends" websites (e.g. alumini sites, school sites etc), local newspapers.  There are also services provided in the UK by the Salvation Army to help trace close relatives.

Salvation Army Tracing Service

Rootschat does not encourage the posting of specific information on living people but users may help with methodologies.

Cornwall/Devon: Band, Kerslake, Rakestrow, Strutt
London/Essex: Barber, Osborne
Scotland: Kerslake, Heslin, Allan

Offline Biggoggy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Rakestrow and Curtis families
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 April 23 06:18 BST (UK) »
Hi  my grandfather was Henry Claude rakestrow !

Offline lisajk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 April 23 09:32 BST (UK) »
I am trying to locate the Band/Rakestrow/Curtis families of the Plymouth/Tavistock area.  This is the information I have so far, which I am fairly sure is correct, but am awaiting certificates to verify.

Alexia Patricia Jennie Nellie Band (b 1905, Devonport) m Henry Claude Rakestrow (b 1899)  in 1944.

They had a daughter,  in 1944.  I can't find any records of other children after this date but Alexia would have been 39 when she had her daughter so this is not necessarily surprising.

The daughter married in Tavistock in 1961. I think they had three children between 1962  and 1965. 

The key people I am trying to locate are Alexia and her daughter.  (Alexia is likely to be deceased but I've not found a death record).  However if that's not possible I will be happy if I can make contact with Alexia's son in law or any of the children to find out what happened to them.

Any help will be hugely appreciated.  This is a long standing mystery (60 years) in our family that looks like it might be on its way to being solved at last.

Many thanks
Lisa

I should have updated this post.  The daughter mentioned actually turned out not to be Alexia's.  She and her sister Marion married two brothers (Henry and John Rakestrow) and, before I found this out, I assumed the Band/Rakestrow birth to be Alexia/Henry, when it turned out to be Marion/John.  So I don't think Alexia had any children with Henry.  She died in 1953.

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 April 23 07:30 BST (UK) »
Alexia remarried in 1951 to a REDWOOD before dying in 1953. Her probate records are available online and her sister was granted administration.
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline lisajk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 April 23 08:24 BST (UK) »
thanks DOB7 - yes I knew about the subsequent marriage.  I hadn't looked at the probate records though and may do that out of interest.