Author Topic: EDINBURGH Marriage  (Read 1523 times)

Offline calvert

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
EDINBURGH Marriage
« on: Sunday 29 January 06 19:23 GMT (UK) »
 Would someone be able to please search Edinburgh parish records for the following entry.  I would love to know whom Elijah's parents were, whether he was a widow and any other information about thie event.

ELIJA REIDSDALE -  Marriage to an Elizabeth Hillison : 16 JAN 1831 Edinburgh Parish, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland.

Hope someone can help.  Thanks

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: EDINBURGH Marriage
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 January 06 20:56 GMT (UK) »
I'm sorry calvert, but this is 20 years before statutory registration began in 1855 in Scotland.  The chances of finding those details recorded in the register are very small.  It could just say as little as "Elija Reidsdale and Elizabeth Hillison were married." together with the date.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kilsyth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 January 06 21:14 GMT (UK) »
There is the possibilty that you would get the information from his death record if he survived beyond 1855 and remained in Scotland.  You could check ScotlandsPeople or if you wish I will have a look for you when I am at New Register House this week.

Offline calvert

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 January 06 08:07 GMT (UK) »
Kilsyth That would be very kind of you indeed.  Any information on this chap would be great, he has eluded me for so long.  I think that he may have had a child also in Bervie 24/4/1838 caled Mary Ridsdale.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Many Thanks

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 January 06 08:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Calvert

I have had some early 19th century marriages from Edinburgh which did give the father of the bride, and/or occupation of groom and brides father and/or the parish of both the bride and the groom. Not alot of information, but a little more than the basics. If you got your marriage date from the IGI you could order the film from your local LDS centre and check it out. If the couple lived in the parish of marriage, you may also find some other family records on the same film.

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline calvert

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 January 06 09:01 GMT (UK) »
thanks for this advice

Offline Kilsyth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 01 February 06 19:07 GMT (UK) »
I have checked for the death of Elija Reidsdale and Elizabeth Hillison but there wasn't a record for either.  Nothing came up for the surname Reidsdale.

With reference to the Mary Ridsdale you mentioned, I have a copy of  her death certificate.  I also have a copy of her father, Elizah Ridsdale's certificate.  He was the widower of Betty Ritchie and it was 'the occupier' who was the informant.  Unfortuntely, even if this is the person you are looking for, there are no parent details.

Offline calvert

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 01 February 06 19:15 GMT (UK) »
Thanks

Would you be willing to share the information regarding Mary and Elijah, that you have. I think this is the correct chap,  he actually married in Hartlepool in 1825 and then left his wife Hannah, also having a son John Ridsdale in Hartlepool in 1826.  Any information on Elijah and waht happened to him post 182'2 would be great.

Thanks

Mark

Offline Kilsyth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 01 February 06 19:21 GMT (UK) »
You are very welcome either to the certificates or a copy if you wish.

While I was doing the death search, I came across one other Ridsdale death but that was one piece of information I did not take a note of.  I will check that out when I am back at NRH next week.