Author Topic: 1851 Ardchattan Census (Hugh Cowan)  (Read 13893 times)

Offline Merideth

• RootsChat Extra
  • 'To thine own self be true'
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 Ardchattan Census (Hugh Cowan)
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 20 June 06 01:48 BST (UK) »
Dear Myra, I just had a thought if you do find a connection with my Cowans please post back because I can send you a photo of a watercolour by Annie Cowan B approx 1851 Ardgowan? D 1905 Dunoon and her daughter Annabella Cowans wedding photo Glasgow 1910. Cheers Merideth :)
SCOTLAND: Argyll, LANK, REW: Stewart, Harvie, McPherson, McCowan, Cowan, McDonald,McDougall, Russell, Cameron, Hepburn.
INDIA: Quinn, Dare, Cowan.
AUSTRALIA: Langdale, Slattery.

Offline peter_gibson_2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 12 December 06 10:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi all

I am also a descendant of Colin Cowan and Sarah McCallum, via their daughter Agnes who married James McColl in Glasgow in 1817 and then Alexander Young in 1835.  Colin and Sarah seem to have married in Fortingall, Perthshire in about 1780-3, but they seemed to be living in Ardchattan, Argyll when their eldest daughter Jane was born about 1782 (Jane married John McLaren in 1807 in Appin).

The Cowans seem to have been in the north part of Ardchattan parish, in or around South Shian/Seabank/Black Crofts, on the south shore of Loch Creran.  The McColls were from the opposite shore in Appin parish.

I have some notes that were prepared by James McColl's eldest son Hugh, who identified his mother's parents as being Colin and Sarah.  They were described as being "from Perthshire", consistent with their place of marriage, although this might only be Sarah as all other references to Colin are to Argyll.  These notes were made soon after Hugh's marriage in 1843, and I think the implication was that both Colin and Sarah were dead by then, although if I find the notes easily I might check this.

There is a Colin Cowan at Seabank in Ardchattan parish in the 1841 census that looks about the right age.  If this is the right one, he was not with anyone, so Sarah would have died by then.  At this time his daughter Agnes lived in Glasgow and his other daughter Jane McLaren lived at Tynribbie in Appin.
There would appear still to have been some relatives in Ardchattan in 1851, as Hugh McColl's wife vistied family here in that year, and a letter was sent to her at South Shian via Ledaig P.O.

Would be interested in anything else that people have managed to glean about Colin and Sarah.

Peter

Offline Maggie J Ingram

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 12 December 06 11:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peter,

Good news to have another connection through Colin Cowan and Sarah McCallum who were the 4 x Great Grandparents of my husband, Iain Ingram.  I have the same information regarding Colin living alone at Seabank in the Parish of Ardchattan, and would be grateful for any more information.  Also good to have more information on the sisters of Hugh Cowan (3 x Great Grandfather).

I would be interested to know more about the notes written by Hugh McColl.

Regards,

Maggie

Offline runningbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 12 December 06 13:50 GMT (UK) »
PETER welcome to rootschat.

1841 census: balure barcaldine, ardchattan

Hugh...age 50...ag labourer
Nany...age 11
Hugh...age 8

1851 census: balure barcaldine, ardchattan

Hugh...head...age 65...crofter labourer/16acres...born ardchattan
Elizabeth...wife...age 38...born ardchattan
Elizabeth Aitken...granddaughter...age 9...born ardchattan

1851 census: kilmore manse, kilmore

Hugh...servant...age 18...ag labourer...born ardchattan

head of household

Dugald Campbell...minister of kilmore

1861 census: 1 ashintean, Glenorchy

Hugh...visitor...age 75...ag labourer...born ardchattan

head of household

William McIntyre...age 44...shepherd...born morven

1861 census: crosshill street, campsie

Hugh...head...age 27...(looks like calico printer)...born benderloch
Agnes...wife...age 25
Sarah...dau...age 5
Elizabeth...dau...age 4
John...son...age 8 months

all born campsie unless stated otherwise

happy hunting

Joe
helping wherever possible

Offline mary penning

• I am sorry but my emails are not working.
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 14 December 06 03:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peter,

Received your post re the Cowans, and what great information you have.  I was interested in seeing that Elizabeth McDonald (Cowan) was not on the 1841 census.  Our family story goes that her daughter Mary Cowan went down 'to the borders' to work on a farm but got pregnant to the farmer's son William Aitken.  He was then killed in a carting accident (no proof, only hearsay from family) and her mother, Elizabeth Cowan, went down and brought her back to Benderloch with baby Elizabeth Aitken.  I wonder if this is where Elizabeth was on census night?  On the census it states that Elizabeth Aitken was born in Ardchattan, but other census say she was born in Barony, Lanarkshire, which ties in more with the family story. 

I am so pleased to make contact with other members of our family.  Elizabeth Aitken married Kenneth McKenzie in 1868, thus starts my family as their daughter Mary McKenzie (Reece) was my grandmother.

My e-mail address is *

with many, many thanks,
myra

(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline peter_gibson_2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 01 January 07 12:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi folks - have managed to find the notes made by Hugh McColl (he was the son of James McColl and Agnes Cowan).  The notes appear to have been made in the first half of 1843, soon after his marriage.  His notes at this time appear to be quite accurate.

He says "My mother a native of Benderloch in the same county [Argyllshire]".
"My mother's father kept the Inn and Ferry at Shian [this would be South Shian] for many years.  My Grandmother came from Pertshire and was a McCallum.....My maternal Grandfather is called Colin Cowan or McCowan as it is called in the Highlands".

Hope this is of some interest.

Peter

Offline mary penning

• I am sorry but my emails are not working.
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 02 January 07 05:19 GMT (UK) »
Peter,

Many thanks for your notes re the Cowans, and I will put your info into my family tree.  I know very little of the Cowans and all information is truly welcome.

with many thanks and good searching,
myra from sunny Tasmania where it is fairly warm

Offline Rachel Louise Garlando

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 30 April 19 14:33 BST (UK) »
Hi All I am also a decendant of Agnes Cowan and James McColl.
Then Hugh McColl m Mary McGee
Mary Maude McGee m Edwin Jordan
Ruby Elsie Jordan m John Petty
Leo Petty m Phyllis Walker they had my Mum, Heather.
I would live to have any info you on this line. Especially photos.

Thanks in advance!

Rachel